SoD was a project

Seasons of discovery is the company’s way of exploiting the good from classic wow. They will succeed because the playerbase is what it is, but they will never make a timeless classic again.

Classic hardcore is as close as they will get.

4 Likes

Seasons are Retail Lite, especially the current one. It caters more to Retail kids and Wrath babies. :baby:

2 Likes

Its really to bad they went as overboard as they did with runes, as the initial idea of fixing some of the specs could have been done without destroying a lot of what makes classic good, and a lot of classes just needed a little bit to make them viable, and instead simply boosted all classes, even warriors to extreme levels.

3 Likes

I agree.

Saying that since this is a seasonal release I guess this is where they can go overboard if the intention is to validate ideas for classic+

Though if SoD is classic+ then its fail in regards to aligning to the gameplay of classic.

2 Likes

Yeah the entire call for “Classic+” was essentially keep classic game philosophy while adding more content.

What people asked for:
New Zones
New Raids
Minor Balance Tweaks

What people didn’t ask for:
Retail class abilities
QoL changes from future expansions
Stat Inflation at low levels

Basically we wanted new content with the same toolkit we had in Vanilla.

7 Likes

Well a lot of people seem to want those QOL changes, so I don’t think there is real consensus on that, but they could have fixed a lot of classes just by fixing the broken specs, as example all the DPS specs could be somewhat where Warriors are, not everyones doing TBC damage at level 50. Then dedicated the rest of the time to adding new level 60 content, and if they really wanted to add new leveling content, dungeons would make much more sense.

I think there were a few camps of people wanting different things.

Some were asking for this:

These were mostly people who love “Vanilla” and wanted to see that world expanded in a non-TBC way, with, as you stated, some minor balance tweaks to flesh out some classes but without that being the entire point.

Then there were people asking for this:

Although not so much the last one, these tend to be people (not all, but like 80%) who didn’t love the “Vanilla” game, have said they would never play it again, and will be playing Cata and/or the new Retail expansion as per their own admission.

With that all being said SoD does have an audience. It’s not for me though. I have enjoyed both Era and hardcore within the last year and am hoping for a different season within the next few years that is more in line with something I find fun (as part of camp #1) or a fresh but if that doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen.

1 Like

My feelings as well. A couple weeks in and the writing on the wall was clear, time to move along. Hardcore is about all I have interest in now. I’d be tempted to play on a fresh start if it was launched before 2050 :wink: since I’m getting a bit long in the tooth. Any future seasons will likely be too retail like (world of systemcraft).

The problem with this, there is and never will be a common ground on what a Classic+ should be with the players. Now that people have experienced the current season, many will want the retail like version. I see a lot of players that suggest they didn’t go far enough.
/shrug

3 Likes

ding ding ding

I’m enjoying the season for what it is. Some things like Blood Moon are a huge win imo but I’ve been sorta disappointed that the devs keep getting caught hilariously flat footed because they don’t realize just how deviant the content locusts really are and how much they dislike one another.

I say hilarious but it’s sad.

2 Likes

I asked for these things, you don’t speak for everyone.

nah hardcore is bad and boring. probably a worse era because they neutered funny things like infernal drops and kiting dragons to a capital city for it.