Society of Assassins - Recruiting and Prolouge

Beware. For if you choose to read, your life is now forfeit.

A shredded page with traces of blood is found within the Church of the Holy Light. Upon closer examination you notice that it is torn from a possible book or journal as the bindings on the edge still have some traces of glue and string used to make a binding. The only words upon the page are “Beware the SoA” though without a more-clear explanation you are left clueless and confused. As you pick up the page you notice a trail of blood drops that appear to trail off towards the lower-level chambers. You see the tables in the room and the medieval torture equipment in the far-left corner across from the catacomb entrance.

You follow the trail curious to find whoever or whomever is bleeding. You follow the steps down to the first tier of burial alcoves and notice the trail leads right further along the path. You feel the hairs on the back of your neck stand up as though you are being watched. You look around and see only the torches on the wall flicker clearing out any shadows that may appear and bring you at ease. As you follow the trail around the bend into another area of burial alcoves, you notice a much larger pool of blood at the top of a staircase leading further down into the graves. Now you begin to worry but you press ever onward.

Blade or staff at the ready you begin to proceed down and enter the final chamber of alcoves. Across the room you see a large alcove with a single torch. Beneath it is a body; the pool of blood is an indication that the person is deceased judging by the sheer quantity. As you proceed closer your feet come into contact with a book, with pages everywhere most covered in the blood of the deceased. You pick it up and notice several pages missing, but you decide to investigate and see what it details. Within the cover you notice the words “Journal of Matthias…”, the last name unreadable due to a blood smear.

You back peddle to the stairs and proceed to read the contents of the Journal hoping it will provide some context as to what happened. As you open the cover again you read the first page though parts of it are smeared with blood.

Day 230

I have arrived in Uldum and am eager to participate on an excursion into the desert towards Ramkahen. Since the Cataclysm this area was frequented by adventurers all hoping to strike it rich. I hope merely to find something worth writing about. My stories have not appealed to the masses as I would have liked. Though to be frank it merely my own failure as a writer that I write only what I imagine, not what I’ve seen. How can a master author such as myself hope to come close to the true story tellers if I have yet to go on an adventure of my own. I loaded my gear and materials on a camel provided by the agency and we will begin our ride towards the capital city.

Day 231

We arrived within the city borders by the early morning. These Tol’vir are more imposing and impressive than the stories I was told. The upper body appears to be that of a man, but the lower composed similar to that of a tiger on all four legs ready for the kill. I can only imagine what the titans were thinking when they created such a race, but to be changed by the curse of flesh into something wild and ferocious is both terrifying and amazing. I hope not to offend them as I learn of their culture and ways. They seem most kind towards other outsiders. I hope to learn of the history of Uldum and see its many wonders with my own eyes.

A few pages are missing…

Day 242

As we were touring the great damn they built across from the city, Vir’naal Dam according to the hieroglyphics, I noticed two of the guards were pulling the corpse of a human male from the waters. The tour guide ushered us back the way we came but I decided to sneak around the other side of the damn interior steps to see what happened. Its not unheard of for a fool hardy local to drink too much and end up face down in the water but this corpse was of a dressed noble of sorts. Listening in on the guards I heard one of them mention how this poor fellow was a victim of another assassination. This is not the first apparently. Perhaps I will follow them as they cart the body away and learn more of this supposed attack. I will not lie these ruins while fascinating is all but seen by so many that there is little adventuring to be had. I suppose I should make my own adventure.

Day 243

With a few well-placed bribes from the local inn and the market, I found out that the man that was killed was a well-funded leader of an excursion team that had explored the deserts and made a fortune off their finds. They say that it’s the result of a curse upon these fools for disturbing what should not be messed with. But the wounds were not made by some curse or magic. This was an execution form of stabbing. Quick, precise, and clean. Someone killed this poor sob but they did not rob him. I have seen the grave robbers that frequent these locations but they stay their hands while in town trying to hide among the masses. But this is something else. Someone wanted this man dead. Looks like I got my story. Not the high fly adventure type but how about a murder mystery.

The next few pages were smeared with blood…

Day 255

Finally, I found the location the excursion team was investigating. What at first appeared to just be a set of ruins turned into something much more interesting. Following the trail east towards the coast, I arrived upon what appeared to be an ancient outpost of sorts. Overlooking the peninsula of the Lost City of Tol’vir, this strange tower may be much more. Fresh fruits, dry linen hanging from the walls it seems to be a possible temple or meeting site. Upon the wall there was a sigil that I do not recognize. It did not seem to be of the same design of the hieroglyphs. When I cleaned the sand off the sigil it moved inwards and a stone in the floor sunk and moved inwards revealing a staircase to an unknown depth. AT LAST. I found something no one else has found and hopefully I may reap of my own glory.

Day 256

What is this place? What at first, I thought was a mere tomb or vault of treasures turned out to be something more. It was a chamber. Square, dark and empty minus a single stone anvil, everything else was either removed or stolen. When I lit a torch all I could do was close my eyes to prevent the horror I saw. Every block, every surface of the room was covered in stained blood. It was as if numerous individuals were slaughtered in here. But no corpses remained Only the stone anvil was untouched. When I examined it, I noticed the same marking on one side, on the other was a set of hieroglyphs that I could not read but I transcribed them so I can translate them later. I proceeded out and quicky ran out towards the camel I had tied up. When I hastened away, I turned and could vaguely see the silhouette of a possible figure. Could it have seen what I saw, did it know what I uncovered. I didn’t think twice and quickly returned to Ramkahen.

Day 257

The markings on the anvil. They are a set of rules.

Rule 1: Never dishonor the Society or its members.

Rule 2: Never betray the Society or its secrets.

Rule 3: Never allow yourself to be captured or caught.

Rule 4: Never kill a member of the Society or its allies.

Rule 5: Never let a target escape or else face judgement.

What I uncovered was no tomb, it was a shrine. A testament of those brought there and slaughtered. I feel as though I have uncovered a terrible secret. I feel as though someone is always watching me. I must depart quickly and return to Stormwind…(the rest of the page is smeared in blood)

More pages are missing…

Day 264

Dead. All my associates. My writing studio attendants. My wife and son. All Dead. This was not the adventure I was seeking…this is a nightmare I cannot wake up from. I must head to the Church. I can only hope the priests and paladins within can protect me. Light please protect me from this darkness I have uncovered. This group…this Society of Assassins are coming for me. I crossed into their world and messed with something I shouldn’t have. I only hope I can save myself now…

A huge smear on the page with only a few words written in haste before trailing off.

She is here……

You close the book tossing it aside and depart the catacombs. As you leave the Church and walk towards the fountain you see the silhouette of a woman. In one hand she holds the blade that decides your fate, in the other is the mark of the Society of Assassins.

Which will you choose?

9 Likes

I just got goose bumps after reading this.

5 Likes

Bravo! Such an incredible intro. :clap:

3 Likes

Couldn’t find you or the guild

Like any secret organization, i find and recruit potential assassins. Be yourself in the world and i will seek you out and recruit.

(Spam invites or guilds that require an application process is too much. I just see what players do in their own way in their own environment. Its too easy to say what others want to hear/see/read but its more truthful when guild hunt down recruits.

Recruits should never have to prove anything to a guild, a guild should prove its worthy enough for the players time. Although its just me for now.)

3 Likes

I love this :two_hearts:

Love the effort put into this! Good luck!