Social Contract & Mature Language Filter

Correct. Free Discord means you don’t pay for it. You pay to access WoW and removing paid access from customers should be something thought out, not left to a bot.

Indeed, online interactions have to follow company policies, which in the case of Blizzard are very family friendly. They apply to all games regardless of game rating.

I think WoW is rated in M in some countries as well. Still does not change the language rules.

You know I don’t work for Blizzard right? It is not my “job” to fix the game.

They are not going to make you sit in chat and answer questions to help people. They are not going to make you stop and help someone fight mobs on a mineral node. That is NOT happening.

You really are safe here.

Blizzard has only had in-game GM chat moderation once. It was an experiment on an RP server in a known hot spot. The results were that it increased bad behavior because people wanted to trigger GMs. Further players stopped reporting thinking a few GMs would catch everything. It ended badly and they did not expand it or repeat it.

Not sure who said they fired GMs, but that was 2012 where they fired 600. They have since replaced and increased CS staffing.

Now, I do agree there needs to be more enforcement of the reports we DO have and it needs to be consistant. Failure to enforce the rules they have in place is part of the problem with the community in game and on the forums.

2 Likes

I would add 3) the group is insisting on voice chat for something that doesn’t really need or benefit much from voice chat. I get it if you’re raiding or doing a high M+ key or something like that but nothing less needs VC.

2 Likes

Correct. Free Discord means you don’t pay for it. You pay to access WoW and removing paid access from customers should be something thought out, not left to a bot.

Nah I disagree. There are plenty of reasons for autobans. Racial slurs being one. Exploiting the game. Botting. Telling people to “KYS” or “Drink This Chemical That Shares A Name With a Famous Manga”. Some things are worthy of an auto-ban. If it turns out they didn’t do it, toss them game time equal to what they lost. You’re going to have pitfalls in every system, what you need to do is weigh what you lose vs what you gain. What we stand to gain is a couple unhappy people on occasion who are then righted. While losing bombardments of racial slurs and hate speech.

Indeed, online interactions have to follow company policies, which in the case of Blizzard are very family friendly. They apply to all games regardless of game rating.

I think WoW is rated in M in some countries as well. Still does not change the language rules.

Still doesn’t change the fact that there is no official ESRB rating of the online interactions. Haven’t owned a box in a long time, but it used to even be on the box. Rules =/= rating.

You know I don’t work for Blizzard right? It is not my “job” to fix the game.

You are one of the communities liaisons. It is your duty to ensure the games development is steered into the direction it needs to go. That’s literally what the Community Council was built for. If you’re treating your role as a glorified forum user for fancy colored text, then you need to step down. You took on that role for free, because the quality of the game was supposed to mean more to you than money. It’s your job to communicate to Blizzard the communities expectations, grievances, accolades, and worthy ideas.

Blizzard has only had in-game GM chat moderation once. It was an experiment on an RP server in a known hot spot. The results were that it increased bad behavior because people wanted to trigger GMs. Further players stopped reporting thinking a few GMs would catch everything. It ended badly and they did not expand it or repeat it.

In-Game GMs did far more than moderate chat. You’re not actually fully correct on this, having served bans in Vanilla for Trade chat and whisper violations myself. Not proud of it, but yeah 100% I did some stuff in vanilla that a lot of cringy teenagers did back in 04’. Public channels and whispers were frequently moderated in-game, the line was generally drawn at Guild Chat and Player Created Channels such as /world. Physical issues were a more primary function of the in-game GM, such as item redistribution from raids, griefing, or out of bounds glitching.

Now, I do agree there needs to be more enforcement of the reports we DO have and it needs to be consistant. Failure to enforce the rules they have in place is part of the problem with the community in game and on the forums.

The community policing itself is never going to work though. It hasn’t worked for over eighteen years, it’s not going to suddenly start working. For like the thirty millionth time, Blizzard is applying deterrence theory, and it doing so poorly. What you’re suggesting is the community police itself. A community that was so bad at policing itself we removed master looter and implemented personal loot. We’ve been policing it ourselves and look where we are. The main reason it cannot work is WoW is not EVE Online. There is nothing the community can do short of right click report to deal with a toxic player. EVE can police itself to an extent because the player base actually controls who can and cannot partake in aspects of the game. At most now, a player gets their chat disabled and they go on with their day. They trash talk in m+ keys and then the key is dead. People act like most keys are people just sucking at the game, while that happens from time to time. No. Ego is what kills keys. Two players get in a spat over some stupid spec / item disagreement and they kill the key. Nine times out of ten the key holder isn’t even the one in the spat. That kind of behaviour will never go away unless there is rigorous, consistent, and relevant consequences for the player’s actions. Right click report? Right click report key killer. Should be right there in the list.

We live in the age of AI. For a company like blizzard, janky AI isn’t a thing if they don’t want it to be. If anyone of any game company has the resources to properly moderate player interactions, and automate out racial slurs. It’s blizzard. If you’re still that hard opposed to AI banning, you can at least AI delete the comment in the chat window just like Discord does.

I have been a Forum MVP since 2013. Tech/Customer Support, Diablo 3, WoW Community, and now Council. I have spent almost 10 years helping players. There is only so much anyone can do and colored text does NOT mean Blizzard listens to anyone. I can suggest things, and have for years, does not mean Devs select those ideas for implementation.

When it comes to moderation I am one of the biggest fans of strict moderation. I just am also a fan of FAIR moderation. I have been advocating for both for years.

Yes, they did.

You had to get reported even back then. They did not have GMs sitting in chat channels. It was rare. Now, if you happened to say something when one was in game doing something else, sure. Whispers though would be only something that would be reported.

That is if I trust the GMs I know and the folks at Blizz who showed me the system and talked about it.

I can certainly go with deletion of comment and auto report. I just want the actual removal of paid play time to be done by humans based on review of logs, not just some partial word a filter picks up.

They have started AI in WOW for reviews…but right now it has one word on the list. I don’t know if that is just a test case or if they plan to expand the system.

It has to be done carefully though so that normal players talking about grapes don’t end up with suspensions or bans.

1 Like

I thought WoW was rated ‘M’? Isnt that rating system supposed to determine whats allowed and acceptable in game?

Mature servers make sense moving forward. Even mature versions of chat channels you can opt into. Make barrens great again.

Being toxic / rude directly to another person =/= using offensive language in a joke / random mid night banter… you cant even assume everyone playing at 3am is an adult anymore because of server mix ups.

2 Likes

nor is making a wall of letters.

It is only rated M in Australia I think. In most of the world WoW is rated T or PG-13.

The game rating covers what the developers create and is reviewed by the people doing the rating. Those things are fairly “set” as in programmed and available for review.

Player created content (chat and names) is NOT rated at all. It is subject to the policies of the individual game company. In Blizzard’s case all their games, regardless of rating, follow the same family friendly chat and name rules. All forums, all games.

Think of it like a town square during a holiday festival. Just be nice in public channels and groups. Save the colorful stuff for your private friends chats/discord.

That is called Guild Chat or Discord :slight_smile: While Blizzard CAN penalize for what is said in optional private spaces on their servers, they usually don’t unless it is really bad. Your guild, or private groups, are at-will and currently subject to less rules.

Again though, if someone were to get really bad and get reported in guild chat that would still result in a penalty.

3 Likes

If this were more followed I might start pug healing again some day, but it’s…really rough with how toxic people can get, same goes for tanks too

Mature language servers and a mature language forum sound like a good idea

1 Like

on paper.
in practice its kinda different :thinking:

1 Like

Swear words. Not hate speech. Again, there’s a big difference. And if used as harassment is against the rules and always has been if reported.

No, it’s a true answer. Someone could say, “I don’t like cookies” and people could report them for hate speech and your automated system would sanction them. For nothing.

The rules in both are literally the same thing.

1 Like

That is why I don’t talk to those people. They are what you call, “crazy.”

1 Like

Mature language and harassment are two very different things. My friends and I could throw curse words around all day long, because we are all adults, but we are not using those words to attack or degrade others.

The rules in both are literally the same thing.

The content is the same yes, but they’re not the same. You’re taking this string of text out of context. Refer to the later comment about the “Ship of Theseus”.

No, it’s a true answer. Someone could say, “I don’t like cookies” and people could report them for hate speech and your automated system would sanction them. For nothing.

Not what I was suggesting by automated. I am suggesting a feature that automatically removes your comment from the chat logs if certain words or phrases are said, regardless of human intervention. His answer was lazy because its a cheap answer that doesn’t address the issue, but saves resources.

Swear words. Not hate speech. Again, there’s a big difference. And if used as harassment is against the rules and always has been if reported.

This distinction has already been made several times in the thread. If you’re not going to follow along don’t contribute. Already stated that casual profanity =/= racial slurs, also stated that you can have an automated system to reject racial slurs and certain phrases, while retaining a reporting feature for less egregious speech. The main point about the profanity filter, is that by turning it off you have made the decision that you are okay with seeing mature language. The filter is on by default, and requires you to manually disable it. Ergo, by a logical stand point, seeing swear words is no longer a reason to complain if you disable the feature that removes them from your chat window. That is not the same thing as saying you’re okay with harrasment. Again though, that would have been clear had you read before writing.

some of my friends do
its ok though they
are "marginalized"people
and can get away with it
the hypocrisy is astounding

1 Like

The filter is for parents of kids. Having it off so that it does not mess up normal typing with partial matches does not mean people want to see profanity or anything else that breaks the rules.

I am not totally against your idea of a filter that removes some of the worst slurs, which is why the have one word in it right now. My problem is that filters are not smart, they disrupt normal speech, and can falsely flag normal words for having parts of things.

Hiding the chat and reporting it as an automated function…ok.

Removing paying customers from game as suspensions based on it without GM review, no.

2 Likes

You likely also realize context. You know which situations are ok to do that, and which are not. I would never talk like that in my office, a public restaurant, family event, town festival. I save it for situations where friends are in private and nobody will care what we say.

Adults get that though, they know there is a time and a place for things. It avoids a lot of problems.

3 Likes

When it comes to moderation I am one of the biggest fans of strict moderation. I just am also a fan of FAIR moderation. I have been advocating for both for years.

Strict but fair, that’s all I’m asking too. I only see three options though. Either Blizzard does it, we do it, or a combination. When it comes to obvious hate speech, we should just let Blizzard take the reigns and filter it out. Yeah, it can be annoying seeing your discord message poof. However, you just reword what you want to say and you move on. I would rather a minor annoyance occasionally than seeing racial or religious slurs every BG / LFR.

I can certainly go with deletion of comment and auto report. I just want the actual removal of paid play time to be done by humans based on review of logs, not just some partial word a filter picks up.

And this here is why we have these forums. It can get heated for sure, we’re talking about a super controversial topic for some. At the end though, we found a middle ground of something that could drastically improve the game play. I still think you could factor in some sort of auto ban for repeat offenders. If you spam say the “N” word 100x in a channel or whisper with a macro… It’s rare… but I’ve seen it. I do see how it could be an issue with wrongful bannings, but again, in what context are these slurs really acceptable in game to a point an auto-filter doesn’t make sense?

1 Like

I guess we do agree on at least some points. We have the same goal just some different views on how to get there.

Never

As said, it has to be really good before I would trust it to remove game access.

This use case is one of the situations I would back the use of an auto time out pending Mod review. That is not an accident talking about Assassination rogues that picked up on the donkey part. That is intentional, and repeated.

I think the current single word warns people? I have not tried and will not. But if you get X warnings about a word or phrase and STILL keep doing it, then I can deal with auto temp penalty - with GM review to make it perm or remove.

I would hope that would be rare.

EDIT - Oh, and if you were wondering what got me down the “we never had these types of rules before” rabbit hole it was another thread on this. Social contract - #67 by Joederp-akama We also get a lot of people on the CS forums who say the filter should mean they don’t get punished for breaking the rules.

2 Likes