Soar should just be a cosmetic variant of Dragonriding

“Soar” as an ability is an awesome idea whose implementation sadly misses the point of its fantasy: To be a dragon flying with your own wings. Its appeal isn’t in obtaining an occasional “advantageous” speed boost over other players; its appeal is in being an actual flying dragon, engaging with the new WoW flight system with your own two wings. I’m not the only person on the forums to have mentioned this idea, but I think it’s the most elegant solution to the whole Dracthyr Soar problem:

Make it nothing more or less than a cosmetic variant of Dragonriding.

1. Remove the cooldown entirely
  2. Let it go the same speed as dragonriding mounts
  3. Give it access to the vigor system
  4. Give it access to dragonriding talents
  5. Disable it in any content that dragonriding isn’t also available in
  6. In non-Dragon-Isles content, give Dracthyr a “Running Wild” ability, where they use their wings in the traditional, BC-era mode of flying (and if dragonriding is enabled in the old world at some point, then awesome, Soar can be re-enabled there, too)

Oh, and make it share vigor with Dracthyr’s dragonriding mounts, so that they can’t run out of vigor while Soaring and go to a fully-recharged dragon mount. Boom, there are no longer any complaints about it being overpowered, and Dracthyr players can feel like our wings aren’t just vestigial.

No dragon wants to have to ride on another dragon’s back to have functional flying. It just feels bad.

11 Likes

Thanks for the thread!

I added you to my soar compilation thread.

3 Likes

venthyr teleport should be insta-cast too…

1 Like

I thought it was going to be akin to Druid flight form. A slower version of Dragonriding…

Yeah, agreed.

Unfortunately blizz would rather monkey paw every single thing that is deemed fun on alpha, beta, and ptr. Cant be having fun on the live game. There is literally no reason to not have it this way. It should 100% function the same as dragon riding.

3 Likes

It should be removed entirely because I get a kick out of seeing you people complain.