Soar nerf is a non-issue

It only works short distances? Wasn’t part of the reasoning for the speed the fact that DF zones are massive?

Just going from what I’ve seen here, most people seem to never want to go back to regular flying so it’s hard to believe DR is as much of a disadvantage as you describe.

Yes I think it’s overblown personally

They werent nerfed in Dragonriding zones which were built from the ground up for the system, they were nerfed in 17 year old zones where it doesnt work for more than about 300 yards at the time unless you jump off Hyjal.

And literally nobody has said anything about flyomg except for you, so I have no idea where you pulled that from.

1 Like

You said dragonriding, but I think you meant soar. That’s probably what the mix up is.

Both function the exact same, but Soar is slower, isnt effected by Dragonriding perks, and has a cooldown.

1 Like

All the threads including the actual alpha feedback thread has quite the opposite perspective:

2 Likes

“Oh god… oh my god… the dracthyr! They were going from Highmountain to Suramar too fast! Please Blizzard think of the rest of us!” -Probably you

4 Likes

Its the same handful of people who keep saying these things no matter how maby times theyre proven wrong too.

Actually, no, because people have been saying from the beginning they want the racial to have a reduced or no cooldown, and function as full dragonriding at least where dragonriding is allowed. People aren’t mad they reduced the speed so much as that the only change made to soar was in the exact opposite direction from the majority of feedback. If they had nerfed it ONLY in the old world while also removing the cooldown and/or making it a full dragonriding mount in Dragon Isles (where it gives no advantage since everyone can do it), I am betting the reception would’ve been very different.

The bottom line is part of the fantasy of being a dragon is being able to fly, and to have the ability nerfed to be worse than the drake mounts in all cases feels bad to people who want to actually BE A DRAGON THAT FLIES.

3 Likes

It’s so stupid, all they have to do is revert the nerf and allow dragonriding in previous zones. BAM! Instant free win that they refuse to do.

shrug

3 Likes

It’s only 600% under the right conditions, and has much less flexibility and maneuverability than regular flying, even if it is faster. In most case in the old world, flying mounts were still more useful than soar even pre-nerf. The point of going fast wasn’t that it gave some sort of advantage (it really doesn’t, because you can’t stop to do anything along the way without incurring a 5 min cooldown), it was that going fast is fun.

It is now less fun.

The people lashing out at OP are ridiculous. It’s not 1/10th the issue some of the more dramatic replies are claiming. And it was done during alpha. If you’re upset about soar being nerfed to 650% speed on alpha imagine if the game released and THEN they did the nerf? Which would you prefer between the two?

Also I want your life right now if this topic is what calls up your rage.

The negative effect it would have created is that a race would have had some sort of identity instead of being homogenized into every other race.

GG, Blizz

1 Like

It’s called alts. The cosmetics are account-wide, so Dracthyr players could still collect them for their alts, even if they didn’t personally use them. I think the nerf to soar is ridiculous all the way around, but at this point I don’t even care if they keep the nerf in the old world if they just change it so that Soar=Dragonriding wherever Dragonriding is allowed. That gives NO advantage over other races, but gives players who want to play as dragons the ability to actually play as dragons, and not as elves that play dragons on TV.

Honestly? It’s not the nerf itself that is the problem. Reducing Soar by 30% doesn’t matter. OP is right about that.

What matters is that the reasoning behind it makes no sense, it goes directly against the majority of player feedback, and it is an attempt by Blizzard to correct a problem that isn’t a problem. In other words, no one really cares that they nerfed Soar. People are mad because once again, Blizzard is doing the exact same thing during Alpha that they did in BFA and Shadowlands that ultimately ruined those expansions. Azerite reforging, Covenant swapping, the AoE cap, and CONDUIT ENERGY were all examples of the exact same thing, where Blizzard did something that made the game less fun in order to solve a problem nobody had, in direct opposition to the majority of player feedback.

It’s not the nerf itself that is a problem. It’s that the nerf, and the reasoning behind it, shows that they are still willing to nerf something fun in order to solve a problem that doesn’t exist, and thereby make the game worse. It’s a very minor symptom of a much larger, more serious disease.

That’s why people are so mad about it.

EDIT: This is not to say they haven’t been much better in general this time around. They have. Which is actually why people feel the need to react so strongly to ANY perceived backsliding into the old way of doing things.

3 Likes

I am particularly amused by those saying they will unsub.

Doesn’t matter really, but the reason for nerfing it was pretty dumb. I think it’s the intent behind it that has players salty, and I can empathize with them even if it doesn’t impact me.

2 Likes

It’s a video game forum, part of the parcel is complaining about the video game.
You’re a silly, silly person if you think complaining about it is reflective of their quality of life.

2 Likes

It is an issue. It gives an insight to their mindset. The ability wasn’t an issue to begin with. I have no idea why people are mindlessly defending it.

It wasn’t overpowered. It was fun. Who tf cares if you can get from one side of eastern kingdoms to the other a bit faster? No one.

Nerfing something that wasn’t a problem to begin with is, in fact, a problem.

4 Likes

It was nerfed. And it didn’t need to be. It caused no issues. Defending this decision is so ridiculous lmao

2 Likes

Why not? Who cares? It’s fun. Defending this is ridiculous

2 Likes