So... Will Frost Witch become new meta?

See title. Are we looking to replace doomwinds with the coming buff to frost witch?

Want to know if it’s worth farming up the ash for it on my enhance shammy :slightly_smiling_face:

Nah, but I’d start farming for it anyways since 9.1 will likely bring Legendary upgrades (needing more Ash) and maybe even 2 wearable Legendaries (meaning a lot more Ash).

1 Like

It’s unlikely to replace it, but if we can equip 2 legendaries, it will be the one to take, granting at least an extra 500 dps single target (based on current gear sims, without the ptr buff).

So I’d get it made anyway, at least then you’ll have it ready. It’s likely that upgrading to rank 5, 6, 7, and 8 will be a different currency. It’s also possible that new legendaries become available.

1 Like

No, doom winds is stupid strong. but get frost witch regardless, because when they allow for two leggos to be equipped (likely 9.2 at the earliest) frost witch will be the second leggo you’ll want to equip.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies, I kind of figured doomwinds would stay the best but did see a Tiqqle video where he was talking about how it could become a very competitive legendary when it gets buffed.

I’ll go ahead and make it anyways, thanks everyone :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

i’ve tested both on the ptr and the buff equalizes the sustained damage but it’s a burst meta so doom winds is easily better still. i tried FW with earthen spike to try and improve physical damage output: 20k dps for the ascendance window which drops to ~7k before the next doom winds compared to a 6-7k sustained with fw.
with bosses that need to die as fast as possible there’s simply no beating doom winds in terms of burst

another issue with fw is inherent in its design. it’s pretty difficult to fully utilize procs because you need to be even more on top of gcd management. it would be better if a fw proc would remove ss from the gcd window but right now it resets ss cd but SS is still affected by gcd. i’m not sure if this intended but it feels bad

2 Likes

In arena, perhaps it could be something you swap to vs certain comps that are particularly adept at shutting down your doom winds windows w/disarms/chain cc, etc for more sustained pressure/small burst windows?

3 Likes

I’ll be using Frost Witch regardless - I hate how Doom Winds plays. 12 seconds of burst every 60 isn’t fun for me.

6 Likes

I crafted a 235 Wolf Bones this week for the same reason. Tired of using Doom Winds and praying I don’t get cc’d or have to move out of aoe during it’s short duration.

2 Likes

New meta for single target will be:

Night Fae - Niya
Mastery > Vers = Haste
Skybreaker’s Demise
Lashing Flames

Let’s get weird ;]

3 Likes

I know you’re joking… but Niya is good already. Mastery is almost equivalent to haste already, and not far behind verse (for me). So this could actually happen :slight_smile:

You missed fire nova totem and ice spike thingy too though.

1 Like

Lol, you would need such a ridiculous amount of mastery to ever make that work that its completely impossible.

You watch… in 9.1 we’ll get some slight tuning that will make mastery our best stat and none of the pve gear will have it… because blizz are really good at giving us our worst stats. And they’ll making eonars the best legendary!

They’ll finally make Stormstrike deal 100% nature damage? So our only non-elemental damage would be auto attacks?

Honestly sounds good to me.

I use FW as well just makes it fun for me.

Mastery is a very close second behind haste for AOE for Enhancement. if you just focus on M+, Haste/Mastery is the way to go.