So the vault doesn't reward you based on your chosen spec?

So what’s the deal with this? It’s always been said that the rewards you get are based on your chosen spec. But this xpac, and this season specifically…I am seeing significant off-spec gear appear in the vault. For example…this morning my fury warrior only character…received the 1 handed axe from fyrakk as an award option. you know. the tank weapon.

My monk for the last several weeks keeps getting healer-focused leather items that prioritize HASTE. what? —there’s more BIS healer items in my Windwalker monk vault the last month, than usable windwalker items in general. What is going on? Getting to a point where the only items of value are just purely ilvl offspec items but don’t enhance the output of the characters primary abilities.

Are you sure you are changing your loot spec? If you’ve changed your loot spec at some point, it may not match the spec you are playing in. For example I sometimes spec shadow if I don’t want to get a crappy healer trinket from a specific dungeon…and I always have to check to make sure I switch it back to holy before I open the vault.

I think there’s might be misunderstanding of what is considered off-spec and what isn’t.

Let’s say you’re a paladin.

• Retribution (dps) can loot : items with strength as a main stat, 2h strength weapons, strength dps trinkets, spec-neutral trinkets.
  • Protection (tank) can loot : items with strength as a main stat, 1h strength weapons, shields and strength tank trinkets, spec-neutral trinkets.
  • Holy (healer) can loot : items with intellect as a main stat, 1h int weapons , shields, and intellect healer trinkets, spec-neutral trinkets.
  • Everything else can drop for every spec. That includes items that prioritize haste, crit or whatever combination of secondary stats available (the game just doesn’t care about your prio stats).

How can you tell what items drop for each spec?

Open your adventure journal > Dungeons > Current Season > then browse through the loot page on each dungeon.
While doing that, use the gear filter to check each individual spec.
You can do the same for Raids.

How do you make sure you’re getting the best chances at your preferred loot?

Make sure you’re on the correct loot spec by right clicking on your portrait > Loot specialization > whatever spec you need.

This is because 1h weapons are on Fury’s loot table. (So are 2h intellect weapons and non-shield off-hands on holy paladins, for some strange reason).