So the only purpose of leveling nowadays is to get weaker

…how did it come to this?

63 Likes

We need a complete overhaul of the talent system. That’ll at least help with making leveling more rewarding and engaging.

But we’re stuck with scaling.

33 Likes

People complained it was too easy and too fast.

People were missing out on story lines and whole zones because they were out leveling them.

So they implemented scaling. Now zones scale with you, and so do the mobs. So instead of one shotting mobs you’re now wasting 4-5 GCDs

10 Likes

If you are using them, they are not wasted.

9 Likes

Well it feels like a waste because the extra 2-3 GCDs you’re using used to go towards other mobs for more/faster experience gains

2 Likes

It’s also to see the “amazing” story.

4 Likes

While I’m not disagreeing with you, the main counter arguement is that most people have been through and have seen the story. More than once.

And now they just want to level and alt and get it to end level ASAP. Scaling defeats that purpose for them.

Me, I couldn’t care less either way. I had fun speeding through, and am having fun taking my time and exploring old favorite zones again

2 Likes

seems as if they prefer your character to progress by grinding endgame gear rather than simply grinding leveling up.

you know, ‘the we heard you like grinding’ shtick

6 Likes

The only “people” who complained it was “too easy and too fast” were a handful of elitists who thought that all of leveling should be a sandbox for them and their ilk to play in.

Their intent was that actual leveling players should “git gud” before ever playing the game for the first time in order to prove they deserved to be permitted to share pixels with such lofty gods.

No real players wanted leveling to be made much harder and much slower.

And actually, prior to Ion’s admission that he had broken leveling in legion, there was no support whatever for anything remotely resembling the changes that were forced on us.

So either you’re reading from a script or your memory is faulty.

42 Likes

I honestly believe levelling is the way it is right now because its just one of the many things they made intentionally slower and grindier to drag out our time played.

Side note, I made a thread similar to this a couple months back and was pretty well ridiculed. But I’ll say it again, this is the worst power decrease I’ve ever experienced levelling through an expansion. I understand how stat amount/percentage relates to character level and you invariably get weaker as you out level your old gear. But I’ve never seen it be this dramatic before.

24 Likes

*coughs up blood

6 Likes

I didn’t say most. I just said people. When the idea was brought up, some agreed, most disagreed.

But since longer leveling = increases /played = implemented (in my eyes)

Leveling from 1-120 must be so confusing lol.
do you get an artifact from 100-110 just to lose it? lol !

3 Likes

They slowed it down because they wanted people leveling allied races at the end of legion because they had no more content for the last 7 months.

6 Likes

Lack of innovation is the answer. The reason we get weaker is because we have to every expansion, but the reason we are still leveling is because they can’t come up with an alternative.

Suggest some alternatives that will allow us to still experience some sort of reset in priorities at the onset of a new expansion without making it a mandatory completion of a single events like zone storylines.

I’m not sure they is one.

The other option is obviously completely redesign how leveling works and while I would be HEAVILY in favor of that it’s very likely going to require more work than anyone realizes.

The idea posted earlier is a new talent system and that may not be a bad start. A frequent viewer on my stream suggested a system like we have with azerite gear, but for talents instead. Start with no rings, and end with dozens. Choose a new minor power up every few levels, and make them sporadic or even random enough so you eventually end up with heavy customization by the end, but nothing major every level split.

That would involve integrating end game content into level 1 and again, likely means far more effort than we would realize.

One thing seems certain. We will know what their intentions are next blizzcon, because if they are to do something for leveling it will have to be the main feature of an expansion.

8 Likes

The upcoming changes will make 1-110 a little more painless, I guess. But those last 10 levels they should just change the level up announcement to a frowny face with sad trombone music. The weakening of your character is so blatant, especially with no new spells or talents that aren’t tied to gear.

11 Likes

13 years later and 7 expansions, and now you have an issue with this?

2 Likes

I don’t understand why people are so bothered by this. Every expansion, we’ve gone from wearing the purples of our previous accomplishments back into greens. Leveling has always worked this way where the more powerful we get in new content, it really feels like we’re getting weaker because the whole point of a game is to maintain a challenge throughout.

If we simply kept adding and adding, the people who were in heroic and mythic antorus gear would have felt absolutely no challenge while leveling at all, been ultimately bored, and simply begun the gear grind all over again without any form of challenge whatsoever. We’re supposed to be at risk of dying. It’s not that big’a deal.

6 Likes

I think you are 100% correct. Every time I am still whacking at some monster, 2 or 3 hits after it should have been dead, I realize that this is just one more time sink they added to keep us slowed down. That realization is not doing much to add to my enjoyment of this game currently. Never in all my years of wow have I so frequently heard myself saying to a mob " just freaking die already".

9 Likes

The trash in timewalking dungeons have certainly been taking their vitamins since Wrath.

11 Likes