So Regarding Addon ToS

The OP isn’t complaining about all addons, but specifically about addons that breach ToS.

1 Like

How does restedxp breach ToS? I just watched how it works. How is it different than other quest guide/tracker addons?

They did mention selling any premium features/services (which the guides could be counted as) are prohibited. Even asking for donations inside the addon is not allowed.

1 Like

How? Only reason I can find would be it not being completely free, as after level 20 you need to purchase a guide.

Ah that’s the part I missed. Didn’t know you had to pay for it. That seems like a waste of money.

3 posts up buddy:

1 Like

Again:

If it’s the former, I agree. If it’s the latter, I don’t.

My understanding is that the purchased guides interface with the addon itself, observed while playing in-game.

I’ll need to watch the video, again (lucky for that YTer), before I flat out pick a side. 'Cause I HEARD it said, but I didn’t actually SEE PROOF of it.

IK about a VIDEO showing exploits for a purchase. I’d be impressed if that’s available, in the addon, itself LOL

1 Like

Yeah, I only saw a screenshot of details of a guide, on the screen itself, but that still doesn’t prove, anything, to me.

BUT, I will say this, it doesn’t surprise me that they’ve been able to get away with breaking the TOS for addons, seeing as how they buy gold and don’t get banned for it. What’s to stop these guys from breaking the REST of TOS?

Oh, Blizz. “Rules for thee but not for me” (sigh). I say this, as in, these guys are “in” with Blizz. So, these guys are “protected”. Money buys their way out of bans LOL

1 Like

Desiring clarity on the issue makes sense but, to play Devil’s Advocate: anything can be done to a video. You can’t have proof until you buy the guide and load it up in-game yourself.

Maybe we’re all getting trolled here and RXP/Zygor/WA don’t receive any cash from their addons outside of unsolicited donations. Perhaps they are being unjustly portrayed. My cynicism tells me otherwise.

True. Until that’s done, it’s all hearsay.

That being said, these guys probably feel “unstoppable” because they’ve been breaking ToS with gold buying and haven’t been caught. Now, they’re just being greddy with the Addon rule.

1 Like

I think the people paying are idiots for sure, and the users in this situation should not be banned, but leaving this kinda stuff in action will some how (not sure how) end up worse than allowing WA to persist at its existing capability.

3 Likes

remember when they broke spy?

2 Likes

The point I was making is that there is no “ToS” for using addons. There are policies for addon developers, but players can use any addon they want with no restrictions. If an addon works, players can use it. If Blizzard doesn’t like an addon they change the API so that it will no longer work, they don’t ban players who used it.

disclaimer- by ‘addon’ I am not referring to third party programs I am only talking about properly installed interface files not executable programs that run outside of WoW

1 Like

GOOD VIBES ONLY
it sucks they took downvoting away when you have to bump nonsense to counter

Got to preserve the feelers of people with horrendous takes.

1 Like

The “free” version of RestedXP is a 1-20 guide from all classes/race combos.

The “paid” for part of RestedXP is a Text file string that is imported into the free version to enable the full guide - that’s all - it’s a text file, a guide, nothing more nothing less.

I think lots of people posting have no idea really what it is or how it works.

Just saying.

Drama for the sake of drama.

Regardless about the addon, the gold buyer needs to be banned.

And the game was like 100X better because of it. That thing was pure toxic, it made playing un-fun because it would literally tell everyone where someone was… Farming behind some hills so you go un-noticed?? LOL NOPE!, spy detected you and broadcast your location to the world!!! YAY addons!

IMO kill em all man, I love them but they’re getting outa hand and everyone is abusing what could have just been a nice little quality of life improvement over the stock UI.