So let me get this right

They can turn up the layer cap and how many layers there is but yet we are not in the game…what is the que for?, if the Layering was suppose to fix that? I don’t get why we are having to wait when there is unlimited layers and cap for a realm? and if there is (a cap) and they are just not tell us what the cap is? It would give us a better understanding …ill wait in que… just talk with us instead of just telling us to change servers… I just was dc’ed from wintermane my lvl 10 mage that I spent time on is where I wanna go back to…Not wait for the casuals to gtfo LOL jk

6 Likes

The queue is because a server has a maximum amount of client connections.

You have to wait until some connections are free before it will accept new connections.

1 Like

The server rollout is a crappy situation. Yes, it’s great they’re rolling new servers out now, but the damage is going to be prolonged because they weren’t available from the start. The name reservation period should’ve been a huge indicator that more servers would be needed at launch. Then if they needed to merge some servers afterwards, fine.

7 Likes

is that not what layering is for? and they claimed that they could turn it to what ever level they wanted to?

1 Like

The layering is to prevent every starting zone from being swamped with 500+ players. The servers still have a hard cap on total connections.

5 Likes

Like they should of after day one been like “ok well lets just drop alot of servers” then if they have dead ones merge into other less populated ones… but like we went from what 8 servers to 25?? why couldn’t this have been done sooner…Ill wait in que don’t worry I LOVE THIS GAME

Blizzard is also trying to avoid having overpopulated servers where if they ever turn layering off we run into a problem of everything being way too crowded.

The server has a max capacity. Let’s say 5000 players can log in at once.

They have 50 layers running so that those 5000 players are broken up into 100 different Durotars so that it isn’t a massive swarm of murder hobos looking for boars to kill. But they still exist within the server’s capacity.

but what is that?

Layering is specifically to create more copies of the entire world to reduce congestion in very small areas.

So it’s mostly for launch when there will be hundreds or probably thousands of people all in the same six starting zones. As people are spread throughout the world the need for layering is reduced.

Specifically it is a huge drain on the server to have hundreds of people bunched up in the same zone. It is much less drain to have a hundred people spread out across 30 zones. Layering helps with congestion but doesn’t change the limitation of how many ongoing connections the server itself supports.

The modern architecture already supports way more simultaneous connections than any server in 2004 could handle. But some realms have even more than that, therefore there is a queue to get on.

I would suspect the actual number of connections is probably 15-20k players. Just a guess, don’t quote me on it.

1 Like

so why not make a cap where if and when there is too many people on a server cut it off on anyone making toons on it??? like what if and this might be a BIG if the que times stay like this till phase 2 when they do take out layering??? will the que time be 10000 times the wait it is now?

Does it really matter what the exact cap is? There’s a queue. Whether the cap is 10k or 1k, there is still a queue. Blizzard has been dealing with server loads for 15 years now. The cap is what it is for a very good reason - stability.

true but still with that why cant there just be a unlimited amount of layers if they didnt make a cap for the realm?

Layering doesn’t affect the cap. It just affects how many people there are in your zones. By the time the world bosses spawn, layering will need to be removed.

Hopefully enough people have gotten sick of queue times and have moved off your realm before that happens. Otherwise, queue times will continue to be a thing unless they up the caps. Which exist for a reason, see the post above.

Layering has nothing to do with server capacity. It’s just a means to let you play the game without mobs being steamrolled by 100+ players in a given area, and also stabilizes the server so it doesn’t melt.

You would know that if you paid attention to anything Blizzard was stated in the past month, but it’s routine for this forum to not pay attention.

True but if they devs came out with the cap and then they tell us how many people have toons on said realm it would give us information on just what beast we are going up against, I mean… if that is the case server transfers Have to be given out because when layering goes how could it be Stable if still at this state??

The information you’re asking for is completely irrelevant to the situation. The specifics or server caps or toons on the realm are pretty much irrelevant to the current situation and do nothing to help the situation. If you rolled on one of the high pop servers that blizzard warned about, then you’ve willingly put yourself in this situation. If you changed to a lower pop realm to try to avoid the queues, then I’m sorry but all you can do is suck it up and deal with it or reroll. Every single launch has had queues for the popular servers. In a few days or a week many people will stop flooding the servers and queues should diminish.

Guess I expected a game made in 2004 to be capable of putting millions on a realm in 2019 but I guess not.

last night I couldn’t get onuntill they dropped 3 new servers while I was watching and jumped into the first one I could ( the only pve one last night that came online) and once I got in I saw over 300 people in the human starting zone but after maybe 20-30mins or so of being online I noticed my lag went from really bad to normal cause the layering started to kick in :slight_smile:

1 Like

Blizzard has already stated that they have the technology available to increase the total connections allowed to a server but refuse to do so.

1 Like