So how does Rare mob loot actually work

Some rare mobs will 100% drop their special item while others only have a chance to drop it. That’s fine I get that, but apparently some rares are farmable while others can only be killed once, and any subsequent kills have no chance of dropping any further loot until the daily reset. So how do I know when that’s the case? Is it dependent on which expansion the rare is in?

Most rare mobs have 100% drop chance. Some of them have a small % drop chance (e.g. few Shadowlands 62+ rare) for mounts.

Disclaimer, the following is my observation so I’m not sure how generalisable it is.

WoD and onward started having rare spawns up at all times, and dropped 100% of the time. But some rares did not always appear. This stayed in legion, for the most part. And in Shadowlands, rare spawns that cna be encountered during leveling drop 100%, but everything else (cosmetics, mounts, toys etc) is rng, and they don’t always appear.

Before WoD, rare mobs were rare but i believe always dropped items.

A lot of Maldraxxus Elite and non elite rares seldom drop what you repeat kill them for I am still farming the basic blue items for transmog but from the amount I have killed they seem to be nearly as rare if not rare than mounts. Sister Chelicerae for instance, Cant get the basic sword mog ( I am a paladin necrolord btw loot spec on holy nothing yet) but pet dorps are within every 20 kills. same for other rares in other zones. I have sent suggestions and bug reports trying to highlight this issue but we all know what blizzaard does with those.

Just want to add a reply to this I have been doing a lot more testing to no avail so either tese specific items from6 rares I am currently farming that being. Grand Arcanist Dimitri in Revendreth for his Dagger.Sister Chelicerae for her 1h sword.Bubbleblood for there 1h dagger,Ravenomous for 1h dagger and Collector Kash and Taskmaster Vox for the similar model 1h Strength and Agi axe’s. All done on level 70’s on the right classes who could loot said items even set loot spec to add more chance nothing. I have sent off detailed bug reports about this but I have a strange suspision/hunch that level 70’s for some reason cant loot these specific rares not all I can still go and do other rares in the other zones Like Zereth Mortis and Korthia andThe Maw they don’t have this issue. Only the 4 base Shadowlands zones are the ones with this issue. I implore anyone who wants to get more traction on this to submit more reports in game and on the forums to get this done. I would also like to add there is a similar problem with N’zoth asaults in the Vale of eternal Blossoms and Uldum.Rares that drop the toys and some mounts are a lot harder since Shadowlands > which again might be tied to being over the level threshold. But could just be down to bad rng, Last thing ill add on this which applies to what I just said above are the Cosmetics that can drop from any rare in those 2 assault areas. I still get them on a level 70 but they seem super low for something that is meant to be just for looks over having a function.Keen to hear thoughts or theories as to what else it could be.