So Calia is

The post with the swear word has been deleted. Is he banned again?

Is she, Erevien? Is she?

cringeeeeeeeeeeeee lol

Why would you make a video with no content and just having to stare at your face monologuing?

Isn’t that what all the you tube people and twitch streamers do?

I mean, I don’t get the whole streamer culture anyway. I don’t like watching people play video games. I watch some boss guides, and maybe lore videos, but I don’t look for opinion pieces. Others might.

It seems like 99% of internet broadcasts are similar. Not everyone is Howard Stern or Joe Rohan. (I like that may auto correct changed Rogan to Rohan. My phone must know about LOTR)

He put it out there for people to watch or not. He doesn’t claim to be making boss guides or have Blizzard secrets. He makes a show like the rest of the internet on you tube, or tik tok, or flim flam, or what ever else the kids do these days.

2 Likes

How does anything in this most recent update give that impression? Was it not Calia’s efforts that aided in Lordaeron’s reclamation?

The impression I get is that the Alliance-Horde conflict/story will be shelved for this expansion, similar to how much a non-factor it was in Warlords of Draenor, so no appeasement.

Watching someone just play video games I definitely don’t get but some stuff is getting more creative.
They make they own comedy gameshows, run dungeon and dragons games with professional voice actors and some of them are PoV traveling vlogs like old youtube.

A good chunk of youtube is “reaction videos” and some twitch streamers definitely fall into that category. Not worth wasting your time on it… the worst ones are probably streamers who react to already created content. Like Asmongold… all he does is watch what other talented people created and adds some commentary to it. I don’t get it. But they guy has lots of viewers and gets his coin so… I guess I am just too boomer to understand the appeal of this type of content.

That’s part of the problem. :stuck_out_tongue: It was such a blatant “YOU MUST LOVE HER” moment.

5 Likes

Dunno about “love”. I was just glad she did something useful for once.

“Yeah, that totally sucked! I mean, can you even imagine? A Forsaken leader that doesn’t use them as pawns? That actually cares about them and wants them to liv… err, exist in peace? Who does Calia think she is?!
I mean, bad enough that she feels responsible for them, but now she’s actually helping them?! Horrible! So out of character!”

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Yeah yeah, you can be sarcastic, but it’s easy to tell when the writing team is pushing a character. They were the same with Baine all through BfA.

4 Likes

At least Blizzard seemed to try to keep her from being as front and center as Baine was. She’s definitely prominent, but she’s honestly overshadowed by Faranell’s work.

The Forsaken are the people of Lordaeron, and Lordaeron had a relative peace with Gilneas for hundreds of years. As the legitimate inheritors of Lordaeron, with just as much claim as groups such as the Argent Crusade and their settlers, giving Gilneas back is a step to reclaiming that old status from pre-Third War. Lordaeron was the dominant entity in terms of soft power and military power in the Eastern Kingdoms for who knows how long, they didn’t get that way by being confrontational when it wasn’t necessary. Giving Gilneas back allows them to focus entirely on shoring up their holdings in Western Plaguelands which is their historical holding and is a much larger territory.

Plus, giving Gilneas back makes them no longer dependant on Stormwind, it means they have to focus on rebuilding (with far less land as well, since it was flooded). Up until now Gilneas has essentially been a stateless entity that can commit wholly to any military engagement at will because they have no land to protect. Giving Gilneas back potentially weakens Stormwind’s influence because now another human kingdom will be able to get back on its feet and have a more equal voice on the Alliance.

They don’t really lose anything by giving it back, and stand to gain much of that old status. While yes, Gilneas is parked right next to them, the situation is already like that. The Alliance can sail up to the coast of Lordaeron via the Kul Tiran fleet right now if they wanted, they have Anduin’s personal ship and a Shaman potentially on the upper tier of power. Soft power is a good route to take.

1 Like

What else can they do when they’re facing a group of “fans” that still cry out for Sylvanas?
Honestly, I dislike the Shadowlands story, I think the pacing of Sylvanas’ story was way too slow and I think of the whole Jailer-idea (and the retcons that came with it) as an absolute trainwreck - but given what they have set up with Calia, they’ve done a decent job.
When Calia was established as Lightforged Undead (something that I still look at with a frown), many people voiced their concerns. Of her “replacing” Sylvanas or being “forced” into the story and things like that. But even if you don’t like the character, you have to admit - for WoW introductions, this was one of the better ones. Not like Varian or Nathanos who just appeared out of nowhere and suddenly were important. They listened to the concerns of the playerbase and gave Calia a step-by-step introduction.

First, she was a minor character in legion, then a neutral priest with ties to both factions, then she accepted being a Menethil again, took responsibility for her brother’s legacy, then she became an advisor of Lilian Voss, an embassador, then an ally of the Forsaken and finally helped them reclaim their city. Even now, she’s not ruling for the sake of power (which she never wanted), but counseling in the Forsaken “government” out of a need to help them. Honestly, what else could Blizzard have done after they had set her up?
(Regarding the Light Undead thing, it may play a role in the stories to come, no idea)

Of course, you can dislike her, which is fine by me, but again, we’ve seen far more rushed character introductions - and Calia doesn’t have the Sylvanas-WC3-nostalgia bonus.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what she is. Also to a whitewash savior character

3 Likes

Give us an actual Forsaken character who fits the theme and aesthetics of the race and not Ms. Glowing-from-within-with-an-arresting-inner-light? It’s just a thought.

Considering that Christie Golden was specifically ordered to put a Light Zombie into her book, I consider that to be pretty much guaranteed.

It feels like they’re just easing her into position so they can put her front and center in a future storyline. Yeah, I’ll grant that it’s better than having her burst onto the scene out of nowhere, but the end goal is still the same.

1 Like

Agree that they can give Gilneas back easily enough. But I would expect that they, like any nation, would want to get at much in return as possible. Things like explicitly acknowledgement that the Forsaken have the same rights as the living and their claim to Lordearon would see possible.

1 Like

I agree, I also would have preferred if they had given Sylvanas a personality before wasting her like that. I mean, we just got to know her (through her novel) at the same time she was judged for her crimes, before that, she was a walking riddle. After freaking 18 years of ingame existence!

But they obviously have something in mind with Calia and… honestly, never say never. We have Calia and Turalyon in leading positions now, both Lightforged… and at least one of them with controversial actions. And there’s still the issue with the Forsaken and their decacy.

So it’s another “wait and see” - but different from the Sylvanas one, they seem to at least build the character up step-by-step.

They have to start somewhere. And you have to admit, to have a Menethil take up Sylvanas’ mantle is not too outlandish, considering all the history with Arthas. I don’t want to wait 3 expansions again to see a major plot development unfold.

1 Like

Outlandish? No, not totally. Desirable? Not for me.

3 Likes

It’ s not that different than late night show culture or talk show culture. In sharing their gaming experience the streamer puts on the performance of a personal relationship with the viewer, an illusion that people without meaningful connections in life latch onto.

It’s much a performance as much as talk show conversations are rehearsed and staged.

1 Like

Their claim is already in hand, the other human kingdoms have zero authority to hand out any legitimacy, is what I’m saying. What they likely get in return is some measure of peace, and a first step to becoming treated as Lordaeron again as opposed to the Forsaken. That’s the endgame, really.