So Blizzard are not pulling the ripcord

I tank so I could take the worst covenant and not even spec my soulbind and still get a run lol.

Lol hi.

More like not even the 1%, they tend to focus on only one type of content. This will only affect people that wish to push multiple forms of really hard content at the same time on the same character.

No experiments sir, stick to the approved loadout.

2 Likes

Not gonna change till people make the meaningful choice with their dollars and get off the carousel.

1 Like

Very well said, I totally respect the thought that went into this post.

A lot of people keep saying “it only affects a small portion of players” as if that’s something that we should just take for granted uncritically. “It’s only the top 1% and it’s only a 1% difference in damage/healing/etc.” or “Unless you’re a min-maxer trying for world firsts this doesn’t affect you.”

I think intuitively we all know that doesn’t matter, though, don’t we? Even accepting that that assumption is true arguendo, the meta trickles down.

Casuals and under-performers are the worst culprits, and it’s kind of understandable: I’m not a cutting-edge competitive progression pusher. I don’t have the first-hand experience to judge whether a particular talent is better than another in 90% of parses against a particular affix. I haven’t been raiding with a bunch of experienced professional entertainers since the first time the gates opened prior to launch in order to ferret out the absolute optimal composition of classes to clear the content. By consequence I’m dependent on the community for guidance on how to optimize.

And optimization is important to me, doubly so because I’m not a 1% no-lifeing poop-socking bat-phoning hardcore leet raider. [I mean, who has time?] Because I don’t have the experience or time-honed skill to intuitively evaluate these options, I also don’t have the experience or skill that would make the choices less important to me. I can’t make up for a bad soulbind or covenant ability with skill. So I need to choose the optimal option because that’s the one that increases the likelihood I’ll be able to clear the content, and as a non-upper-tier performer I need every edge I can get.

If I were the best in the world at my class, I probably wouldn’t need to sweat a 1% power differential between a couple of covenant abilities–I could clear the content regardless. But I’m not. Neither are any of the people I play with (who, let’s face it, are mostly pugs). They all suck, like me. We’re a bunch of drooling monkeys geezed up on Adderall who can barely find the button to get inside the dungeon. So if I’m recruiting fellow monkeys to try and get my run for the week, I’m going to choose the monkeys that at least have the biggest bombs strapped to them, because even if those monkeys run in circles screaming, eventually they’ll create the biggest crater and hopefully get me a little closer to my goal.

That’s just a rational choice. And when you say, “Yeah, but you know the content can be finished with a smaller bomb, right?” I’m not in a position to say you’re wrong. You’re absolutely right; it can be done with sub-optimal choices. Except, monkeys. So I’m going to treat it like a numbers game. I’m going to look at the guides, and if they say that the red bomb is bigger than the blue bomb, I’m going to be looking for red-bomb-wearing-monkeys. That simple.

3 Likes

Oh so stooging super hard for Blizz to keep boxing from being banned?

This issue honestly has nothing to do with the top 1% like you said, because they will always have a raid group or M+ group to run with, whereas the rest of us will almost certainly need to pug, and that means respeccing our soulbinds more often to fit with the group we are running with.

Like the other day I was doing ranged DPS in vale, than I ran some M+ as heals, I tanked less than a week ago in raid, yesterday I tanked again in M+, day before I was doing melee DPS in M+.

That’s 4 specs in less than a week, I have 3 soulbinds.

The “it’ll only affect the top 1%” always has, and always will be a strawman.

You don’t need to be getting Hall of Fame each tier to care about character power, you basically just gotta have the tiniest drive to improve yourself at the game.

1 Like

In this case it will affect more like the 99% who don’t have a set role in the groups they run with. It will do nothing but force us into a role and not allow constant change to ensure we can keep progressing.

1 Like

no cuz conduits are locked so you dont change them for m+ and raids, you may choose another soulbind that isnt as efficient but total optimization for all content is no longer allowed on single chars thankfully.

And what happens if I decide I want to change from tanking to DPS and than over to healing? Oh wait, I can’t, because I will be locking myself from changing back for a week.

Then you should clearly be using one soulbind for dps, one for tanking and one for healing.

Yeah you wouldnt be as effective as a tank using the main soulbind but that’s the point, you arent meant to be good at everything but you are still good enough to do content.

So after 16 years I am supposed to just accept that I can no longer choose what spec I want for the content I am choosing and give myself the best opportunity to clear it?

Like I can setup a soulbind to DPS for better AOE to help clear M+ better, but than if I have the other two set for tanking and healing and all of a sudden I want to raid, either I simply don’t raid, or I respec for better ST.

Than what do I do for the rest of the week when I want to DPS in M+? Do I just go in unprepared and possibly not do enough damage to even pass the key level I am doing, or do I respec my tank or healing to AOE for DPS?

And what happens after that, I now cannot heal or tank and have to tell my guild “Sorry guys, Blizzard won’t let me”.

It will happen more than people think, someone is going to lock all their soulbinds and won’t be able to do other content because Blizzard have forced us to make a decision, one spec and role, or miss out on content. And even than, if we do choose one role, what if no one needs that role.

What if I decide I am 100% tanking SL, or 100% healing, but my guild does not need a tank for anything. Do I change spec? Do I find a new guild? What happens than for solo content, do I do that as a tank and possibly not be able to get through Torghast as quickly as others and lose progress because I don’t want to lock a soulbind to DPS and miss out on tanking?

1 Like

Yes, that is how CHANGE works.

You might not like it, but change does that.

Oh look, time to pretend not having the optimal build or talent makes it likely you cant even do a decent key level xD

You might not be able to do a 30, you ll be fine on a 26, and for blizzard as long as you can do a 15, they ve succeeded in their goal.

But plz go on into more hyperbole about how suddenly you cant do content cuz you are only 85% optimal for that content instead of 100% D:

2 Likes

Oh no having to make a decision with consequences , todays youth will be hiding in their rooms , cant have that , MUSt have it all , Must have it now and it Must just be given to us without us having to do a anything to get it

1 Like

you still will be able to clear , stop being so dramatic .

1 Like

You may not realise, but 90% of all keys completed in season 4 of BFA are BELOW an M15 level. And you won’t believe me, so go check out the raider IO site and have a look at how many have been completed total and how many have been at M15 or higher.

So even in 8.3 where power is completely and utterly blown through the roof, there are still only 10% of all runs done at M15 or higher.

There are only a few of you who truly believe this to be the case, and in your case I don’t think you believe this at all considering you still haven’t even completed some dungeons at all, you have no KSM achievement, nor do you even have the Keystone Conqueror from any season in BfA.

And your IO score, that puts you currently ranked in the lower 40% of all characters worldwide across all servers in all countries. You have no idea what it takes to complete higher level content.

Having been in the development atmosphere for 15 years (almost) I can assure you directors do not make up 80% of the direction software takes.

Directors primary responsibility is to make sure the company vision remains intact. That’s not really about what content goes into the game but instead hitting market share values and reporting MAUs to the executives. It’s also about deadlines and communicating dev team needs versus executive desires to save money. This is typically what directors are responsible for.

Ion relies on the designers around him to provide the whys of what goes in and what comes out of the product. He may take a hard pass on some of it if he believes that it’ll hurt the MAUs and I know he reads a lot here but very often it can feel like an impasse and better to do nothing than anything scenario. Do you take the advice of randoms on a forum or your guys who’ve worked under you for years? It may take some serious financial harm for Ion to side with the forums over his own guys. Sadly that’s how it goes.

As for the designers I would be surprised to find that they read the forums. We are often at odds with their wants for the game.

It also can take serious financial harm to not listen to us. You cannot ignore the fact this game has a lot more complaints than praises and a lot more people defending those complaints the saying there is nothing wrong and look were we are.

The game almost collapsed in WoD such was the ramifications of not listening to the players.