So ... Arthas Redemption Anyone? Slight SLs Spoilers

It’s at best undefined. Unlike every other soul taken by Frostmourne, Arthas wasn’t stabbed with the blade, he claimed it for his own.

This is the Kel’thuzad redemption expansion.

10 Likes

I don’t think this is going to happen. Anduin’s comment Orgrimmar was indication that Arthas was officially a “bad person”.

But I do think there is a very real chance that he does something big in SL and gets redeemed.

2 Likes

I could be unexpected and interesting. Which means it will never happen.

2 Likes

Since Andiun mentioned Arthas is SL, there seems a determined effort to push a “did nothing wrong” meme. You would think Frostmourne ambushed him on the road as he was going to deliver puppies to sick children.

Lets be clear, Arthas was an oath breaker and murder when he arrived at Frostmourne. He deceived his men, since they never would have supported what he was doing and explicitly turned his back on the Light and the life of his friend. He then went and picked an item that everyone had warned him was evil so he could have its power even though he had already begun to hear the whispers.

Arthas rejected the light in going to get Frostmourne and that he would be turned evil was a clear likelihood.

OTOH, I’m fine with redemption. Everyone deserves redemption.

6 Likes

I could get behind an Arthas redemption alot easier than a Sylvanas redemption at this point.

2 Likes

Y’know whats weird? I wrote this OP in a rather bitter state, since I really dislike how anything “grey” on the Alliance gets whitewashed like crazy (and I expect the same from Arthas in SLs); but I am honestly glad it started a semi-productive source of discussion lol!

9 Likes

They also said there’d be more to the burning of Teldrassil than just 'Sylvanas did it." We see how that turned out.

13 Likes

Lol none of the reasons you posted are why he is a villian, of course, undead players dont know the meaning of the word pragmatic

Remember, Sylvanas did everything for herself, and arthas did everything for his people
Sylvanas is the one of the only villians in wow who doesnt have good intentions, even saragaras is trying to save the universe from the void gods

2 Likes

The people Arthas slaughtered en masse even before he went full hot topic?

If that’s what passes for moral nuance in this universe then we can retroactively justify Teldrassil’s barbeque by suggesting the Nelves were eating raw bats.

12 Likes

yeah why did he do that? To protect his kingdom, why did sylvanas kill people for her own power. its not even a joke, how much more evil sylvanas is lol

2 Likes

Honestly, the main reason I’m opposed to an Arthas redemption is that, to me, it would really come off as an admission that the entire World of Warcraft story has been an utter failure.

Like, yes, we admit it. We’ve completely failed to create any new characters who are worth a damn. We’ve failed to write anything new worth reading. We’ve failed to create a world worth caring about. So, here you go: Warcraft III redux. This is the best we can do.

5 Likes

I think this would be really disappointing writing because the message would be “those who ruin the lives of others first deserve the happy ending.”

19 Likes

Woah…it stopped being about protecting his people and started to be about his own personal vengeance right at the culling. Arthas is one of the most evil people in WoW right up there with Azshara and Sylvanas and he started on that path before Frostmourne. Evilbad sword was merely the icing on the cake.

10 Likes

I think one of the more disturbing things Arthas did was sink the ships of his own men on northrend, then blamed it on some troll and orc mercenaries to throw off the blame.

This was before he picks up the sword…

6 Likes

And then had those same mercenaries killed. It’s an incredibly dark fall to evil to be sure.

3 Likes

And yet he still went " Now, I call out to the spirits of this place. I will give anything or pay any price, if only you will help me save my people."

Despite seeing the Soldiers as objects(like a lot of Military Leaders who see soldiers as assets to sacrifice for the cause) he still saw the Civilians as his people whom he needed to avenge(over the needs of his Soldiers who he saw as assets).

Not surprised that night elf posters bait this obviously but i mean like come on dude put some effort into being sneaky at least. gee

1 Like

I know. I already had a discussion with a previous Night Elf poster about how Azhara wasn’t that evil. You know, the same Azhara that was engaged to Space Satan wanted to kill everything on the planet besides her Highborne.

5 Likes

The soldiers were his people and Commanders who view their soldiers as objects are crappy Commanders.

2 Likes