So arms fury or prot

Source? Because when I went prot, I couldn’t hold threat. I couldn’t do damage to get rage and I couldn’t take damage to get rage. I still gear for tanking. I use active mitigation. My healer prefers healing just me, rather than the whole group.

It’s easy to just say “that’s wrong”. It’s harder to be a tank. Trust me, I’m leveling arms in dungeons and so is the other tank in my guild.

Funny how much a lvl 78 warlock has to say about tanking in classic.

Go Arms. Prot will just be a slow drag, Fury, an excercise in frustration (dual wielding without any Hit gear is a bad idea for anyone who isn’t a Rogue).

Source : Levelled a Fury Warrior back in TBC.

1 Like

arms with some prot talents while you level

This is wrong. You do not need prot, and it will make threat generation harder than it already is.

Do not level as prot. Swap to prot around 58.

1 Like

It really depends on what you want to do, but at least for low level (~40+) dungeons, you won’t have any issues tanking as Arms or Fury, with Arms offering some nice talents for tanking, like Tactical Mastery. Personally, I went Arms. Here’s a little low level Warrior tanking guide I put together, and would love some feedback on.

Solo questing as a warrior isn’t the most fun, but chances are there are going to be times when you’ll want to do it. I’d say go Arms until you start to notice difficulty tanking, likely high 40s, low 50s, and by that time, you’ll know if you want to mix it up by questing/grinding or just doing dungeons.

Once you get past lvl ten, I bet you’d have no issues rolling dungeon only with Prot.

My warrior was prot from level 10 in vanilla all the way through the end of Wrath (when they ruined tanking). You’re wrong, and you’re mistaking your inability to play the spec with the spec itself.

Your claim is literally not founded on anything other than your word, and now you’re tossing around ad hominems. Source. Otherwise you’re trolling.

Well… you actually might. At lower levels, mitigating damage isn’t nearly as important as simply generating threat, and holding aggro (which is also arguably a lot less important than it could be, but still, that’s your primary concern as a low level tank).

Tanking as a 2 handed weapon wielding Arms warrior is very viable in low to mid level content, and even vastly preferable, depending on group composition and competence. Ravager wielding warrior tanks are a lot of fun, and wouldn’t benefit much from any of the shield-specific talents in the Prot tree, though at higher levels, esp as you push into plate territory, you can expect that to change.

1 Like

I love how this is coming from the Warlock. Keki .

Long story short:

Warriors should be Arms/Fury Until atleast 50.

Dungeons 40+ Warriors that do this need to incorporate Sword and Board, and have tanking item setups.

Dungeons that are 50+ Can net a warrior to reset to full prot. But if I’m going full on prot, no warrior should run with anything but 3 Mages, 1 Healer because every other dps setup is subpar.

I would glady spec prot for aoe grinding dungeon exp but outside of that, no thanks.

What I say is based on personal experience. I love prot. Anytime I play a warrior, that’s the spec I play. The thing about prot is that it’s not going to make a bad tank good. Like I said, you have to learn how to play the spec.

If they’re terrible tanks, then yes just stay arms/fury. You’re likely to be better off as DPS than a tank regardless of what spec you play.

Here’s what all you terrible tanks don’t seem to understand: tanking is a different mentality than DPS in vanilla. Tanks play a different game than the rest of the group, similar to how healers are playing a different game. If you go into it trying to play the same game as DPS, you’re not going to do well. So I say again for all you thickheads, learn to play the spec.

It comes down to the low level talents, guy. At low levels, prot talents do not serve you or the group as well as arms talents. All of us tanks agree. Idk why you did it wrong in vanilla, but don’t try to argue against a whole meta.

Honestly? There are a few classes and specs for whom talents genuinely don’t make that huge of a difference in overall performance, outside of the big milestone talents. Resto shaman comes to mind.

Except during your 20s to 40s, where you’ll do very well, as long as you can manage threat.

EDIT: Well, “as long as you can manage threat” is a different game than DPS threat management, so you have a point.

They serve you just fine. Learn to play the spec or stop complaining it. It’s simple. If you don’t like the tanking game, then DPS. There’s no shame in that. But don’t complain about a spec that you’re just terrible at.

Early on, your base abilities should be enough to be a serviceable tank. Although a lot of people even fail at that. Protection will make you a better tank though, even at earlier levels (assuming you’re not just a terrible tank to begin with).

Until you roll a warrior yourself, stay out of the discussion LOL

1 Like

Been there done that, cupcake. Learn to play, then come at me.