So all this love for ret and others

Ret yet again gets even more and imo positive changes. Arcane got a rework. Locks got a lot of changes too.

We havent found out exactly what our “rework” is going to be. But I guess it is time to face the music. If it isn’t to par with the other class changes, I’ll be shelving my dk and maining rogue again.

I am hoping whatever “rework” comes will be a big one, but it seems more like simply talent changes.

We all know dk is fundamentally flawed, even more so frost.

Anyone else rerolling if we don’t have “real” changes in the xpac?

11 Likes

Why reroll? Just cancel sub and don’t buy the expansion. Don’t give them money and encourage bad developmental behavoirs. Move on, and come back if they fix it.

7 Likes

I already rerolled now. Unholy is boring and has been since its rework, Blood is boring, and while Frost is ok in pve, in pvp it is utterly pathetic.

7 Likes

blizz never said a rework its not a rework theyre changing like 2 things. We need to let them know this is not ok and they need to fix frost unnerfed deathstrike and ams. If people keep saying wait for the rework then their trick worked and we will suck all next xpack too

4 Likes

We have a pretty good idea of what they’re doing for all the specs, especially Frost & Unholy.

Yes, that’s what a rework entails. You can’t say Paladin/Rogue/Mage/Monk/Warrior received a “rework” but DK isn’t or didn’t when it’ll have a similar amount of large talent changes as those specs. The only “real” rework is the Ret one, and even then it wasn’t what people traditionally would call a rework since it didn’t change any of the underlying gameplay.

And to preempt this, we know they’re:

• Addressing all the talents below the 20th gate to move a majority of throughput out and put utility & defensive based talents there
  • That they’ll be redoing the higher (everything about 20) gate to function with the different approach to the capstones & 20th gate talents.
    • That doesn’t mean they’ll take out Merciless Strikes for example but it does mean they won’t just leave Blood Scent or Proliferating Chill just as-is and in the current spots.
  • Addressing resource generation across the board, particularly more for Frost
    • This has the added benefit of killing the atrocious Obliteration build that’s exist for the expansion so that’s a huge benefit for Frost just on that alone
  • Adding a third capstone to put a difference “playstyle” over Obliteration & Breath
  • Basically “baselining” Frostwyrm’s Fury since it’ll be moving up much higher (think above Icecap or in the same row) in the tree
  • Expanding Unholy’s talents to have a Death Coil/Disease-based version so it’s not just Gargoyle & the homies

Saying “that’s not a rework” is incredibly disingenuous. The only thing that would make it more of a rework would be changing how resources function or just outright removing the spec tree capstones and adding brand new ones.

This is a 100% bait statement because “fundamentally flawed” is an incredibly non-committal ideal. The “fundamental flaws” can be attributed to entirely different things based on the player you’re speaking to. You ask some people on these forums and Frost is fundamentally flawed because Breath exists. You ask others it’s because they added back 2. Others and it’s because DW is still an option. All objectively wrong of course since none of those have any impact on the fundamentals of the spec, but it doesn’t stop people form saying it anyway.

#NOCHANGES Just unnerf

2 Likes

What blizzard says they want to do, vs what they will do are two different things. Hence why I said we don’t know yet. Until they actually give us the details, it is just words to hope for. Changes coming, I’m hopeful will be good, but also doesnt mean it doesn’t make things worse as well.

5 Likes

They love ret. Make one and you’ll feel the love finally. You probably wont ever go back to DK.

9 Likes

My mate was a Frost DK since I can ever remember, he went Ret Paladin, he’ll never touch his DK again, he just says it’s so smooth and Fluid, I personally love Frost DK but struggling to log on to play, hopefully the changes come soon.

He keeps telling me to play Ret, but worried if I play something infinitely better I’ll be swayed away from DK.

6 Likes

How’d that love work out for Ret from Legion - Dragonflight 10.0.5?

I already rerolled this patch, join the gang.

Lots of great choices out there, no point being mired in a class that’s barely an afterthought right now.

I LOVE death knight, I’ll always follow the updates and be ready to try out new changes. But in its current state I’m just tired of working so hard in mythic raiding and M+ while not being rewarded for the effort.

Sometimes it’s good to have a palate cleanse with an unga bunga FOTM dps spec, and top the charts with a fraction of the effort and skill expression.

Besides, if blizzard sees that the death knight population keeps dropping, SURELY they’ll care eventually, right?

6 Likes

I’m the same. Rerolled priest and started healing keys. DK feels like it’s five expansions behind other classes.

I had the same thought when I shelved mine, that if no one’s playing this class maybe they’ll get the message.

10 Likes

I don’t understand why they neglect DKs. It’s such a unique and interesting class. Arguably the most iconic.

Yet the trees offer zero choice, spells and pets are outdated, abilities are archaic in design.

That blue post offered pretty much nothing. I hope the changes are significant next week.

4 Likes

I mostly do m+, ret is a joy to play there. There are maybe smoother classes I’m not sure but coming from dk here are a few things I’ve enjoyed the most:

Very little set up
Range on your abilities (this is HUGE btw)
Group utility along the lines of cleansing, healing and other CDs
A builder doing auto AoE, tank moves not much problem
Haven’t given up much if any mobility
A couple 1min CDs that last longer than 12sec (lol)

That’s just off the top of my head. The difference in gameplay is mind blowing

5 Likes

If Frost could have ret’s stretchy arms and was freed from death and decay, it would alleviate nearly all of the pain points I have with the spec instantaneously.

Unholy is a different beast though, it needs some serious love. The spec feels like it’s 10 years old and needs complete modernization.

4 Likes

Been back about two months now. Put a fair amount of my time and effort into my Frost DK during that, but was struggling to keep up to my friends who came back with me. abysmal numbers. At first assumed it was just me with low gear. But now looking into it… feel like I again wasted my time. and the dnd cleave window, who thought that was in any way clever or fun?

Just finished leveling my paladin. Barely got ilevel for awakened lfr, no chants or anything yet. And that thing can smash face on the keyboard and the hammer of god falls upon a whole army an entire zip code away… Stupidly unreal difference. How can you look at these two side by side and be “yep, that seems aight.”

:confused: the frustrating part is I don’t want to line up to be ‘ret pally #12’ in a guild just to play the game.
And what I see on the alpha at the moment has not filled me with any confidence at all of this being addressed. So back to the drawing board…

Had my rant. Best of luck, people.

12 Likes

I’m playing Windwalker now and I love it. Half of my abilities do more damage without burst or crits than my max Obliterates as Frost, with every conceivable damage modifier lined up simultaneously. The burst crits as WW dwarf any damage I can do as Frost, and I can use them consistently and in rapid succession.

My Obliterates with all damage modifiers applied do about 230k damage, give or take Frostwhelp stacks. My RSKs as WW do anywhere from 260k-330k+ depending on modifiers. FoF does 450k-500k+. SCK with proc does 200k with just one damage stack. I can use these abilities in rapid succession, back to back. There is just no competition from DK.

6 Likes

I feel this so much. Once you’ve played current ret and seen what they’re capable of, every other melee just feels incomplete. We’re left with the choice of everybody playing the same class, or playing a class that feels very dated.

The only one that comes close is WW monk (especially with the alpha changes), but a martial artist in a high fantasy game isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.

4 Likes

Ret’s been ridiculously OP since the rework and needs nerfs. I promise you if DK was being picked at the rate as ret we would’ve been nerfed 10 times over. They never should’ve been given a battle rez either.

2 Likes

Both have been in the trash for longer than Frost and Unholy.

9 Likes