So after a couple months of the Razer

I’m over it. I don’t like the green keys (MX blues) and I hat the software.

I went back to my Logitech G613 for now; however, I’m still wanting a backlight and I don’t really like these G keys on the board.

I actually really like these Romer G switches. People seem to really hate them, but I like them a lot. They’re much quieter and I think I actually can type a bit faster and since they take less force to type, it causes me less finger pain over time.,

Using the clicky blues after a few hours makes my fingers hurt - damn that old age!

So for now, I’m going to order myself a G413, which also uses the Romer-G tactile switches and a red backlight.

If it works for you, that’s all that matters. I think sometimes people lose sight of the highly personal nature of input devices/desk setup/etc, and what one finds to be nails on a chalkboard is someone else’s perfection.

I will say however that the world of mechanical keyboard switches is far more expansive than its seems at first glance — Cherry MX and Romer-G are just the tip of the iceberg. There’s linears like Gateron Yellows and Tealios, tactiles like Zealios and Glorious Pandas, and clickies like Box Jades/Navies among dozens of other options. With a keyboard that features hotswap sockets (allowing you to change switches at will without solder) like the GMMK and Drop CTRL, finding the perfect setup can be a hobby all its own.

3 Likes

I actually know quite a few folks who are really BIG into the DIY mechanical keyboards.

These guys think TKL keyboards are too “big” and have spent more time and money on the keyboards than I’ve spent on computer parts overall in the past year.

Pretty interesting stuff lol

I’ve used a 60% keyboard with an HHKB layout myself for around 5 years now, full sized and TKLs now feel like cumbersome boats now that I’m used to layers (e.g. Fn + [;’/ for arrows). Totally get that the smaller layouts aren’t for everybody though.

Have kept spending down to reasonable levels so far this year but it can be hard sometimes haha.

lol yeah that’s what they say.

I think TKL is the limit for me, i don’t want to have to do layers for the command keys (print screen, home, page up, etc)