So, about DOTs

I’ve observed or had many discussion about blizzard’s move away from damage over time abilities because of balancing concerns. However, it appears warriors are going to be able to do significant damage with DOTs in DF.

What am I missing? Why is blizzard nerfing DOTs on aff lock, assassin rogue, shadow priest, and feral Druid yet adding them to warrior?

Not mad, just curious.

2 Likes

I wish I knew. The actual DoT specs are struggling and meanwhile the abomination that is sinful brand is the only option for Havoc.

2 Likes

It’s odd right? I just want to play a DOT spec because I’ve been hooked on them ever since I pvp’d long ago and watched an enemy player run from me only to die later to a DOT tick. I’ll never stop loving it.

6 Likes

I’m right there with you.
DoTs and pets are my jam. Which is why Warlock is such a great fit for me.
But sadly Aff went from DoTs to MR spam.

As unsatisfying as UA spam was in BFA, at least it was true to what Aff Lock is meant to be.

6 Likes

Did i miss something? I thought locks werent being tested yet?

Or is it something from SL?

The move away from DoT damage was odd but we did generally have pretty good class balance as a result, because for the most part they could give those classes better ST without breaking their multi-target damage.

Probably because they let you do damage while fleeing or otherwise making yourself inaccessible to the lumbering sasquatch with his mundane smacking tool, and most healers are not going to take the time to bother to purge any of it, but will try to heal thru the damage instead.

Dots are just too much for the modern meta of ‘I see you, I pop 3 cd’s, now you die, nerd!’

3 Likes

I have just glanced at Warrior’s trees, is it just Rend and Blood & Thunder? Maybe I missed it.

And Feral’s DF tree is still full of bleeds. https://www.wowhead.com/beta/talent-calc/druid/feral/BPEBBUDQmQFBUGwhFBALREa3FRFiUFBBQ

Assassination got new poisons and can stack an addition lethal/non-lethal poison.

I guess what I’m saying is that DF looks to be buffing dots and adding more dot diversity. Dots aren’t going anywhere. Hell, moonkin can now apply dots with CA.

Just wait for Warlock’s trees to come out. They’re probably next.

I certainly hope you are correct. Maybe the warrior tree is just part of a larger trend. If I can have one dot spec with a sustained damage profile that doesn’t revolve around major cooldown, I’ll be happy.

First off, gain a few more levels before talking about balance in DF.

Second, its just the alpha. They are iterating on all specs atm. Chill.

This is kind of weird to hear given how much in the dumpster shadow and affliction were recently.

1 Like

Well, at what cost, though? Does afflock feel like the same character you created 18 years ago? I dunno, I feel like there was some sort of happy medium in Legion, but maybe that’s just me. Class has kinda been dead for me ever since.

2 Likes

Hello. The balancing concern with dots is council-style cleave encounters, generally, where specs like Shadow and Aff either have tons of spread damage or funnel damage (dotting up secondary targets buffing their primary target damage) which results in issues when designing encounters.

There’s nothing really wrong with dots, just when Shadow does 2x the damage or Aff does 3x the damage of other specs to a boss encounter resulting in class stacking.

Warriors lack reach.

2 Likes

I know what you mean about Aff going back to some happy medium in Legion.

I think something major we’re missing about nerfs to Aff and SP, were the actual causes. SP was insane, because of scaling + Surrender to Madness, and Aff was insane, because their sustain scaled crazy hard. Both of these were nerfed indirectly by the changes to stat stacking scaling, and then directly nerfed because they dominated the logs. Did Blizz overcorrect? Probably.

They’re going to be trash for starters.

So it’ll balance out.

lmao.

Are you one of those people who don’t realize people have more characters than the one they post on?

Good point. So this logic would support DOT specs being exclusive to melee like rogue, warrior, and feral? Especially when rogue, feral, and warrior can have resource constraints.

I could live with that.

1 Like

I really hope they reverse course on this weird mentality they came to that DoT classes shouldn’t deal damage with their DoTs and instead be funneled into this weird DoTs-just-make-burst-skill-do-more-damage situation.

Roughly half the damage that I deal as Feral is just from Ferocious Bite, that’s ridiculous.

2 Likes

I agree friend. Here’s to hoping.

1 Like

“More dots”

Is that all you do is belittle other ppl on the forums?