SND return for Assassination

Then according to my decree Cut to the Chase comes back for Assassination. And Gouge returns for Sub and Assassination.

:crown:

SnD returning is the hypest thing about Assassination in SL; it brings back a layer of awareness and foresight that the spec was sorely lacking. Cut to the Chase would defeat the entire purpose of that.

SnD was one of the abilities the community asked to be returned for a while now.

Assassination just needs a slight rework as it stands, SnD is a welcomed addition but Subtlety and Outlaw just feel so much better to play.

It at least needs something more to synergize with the spec overall. Right now it seems disconnected.

Here in the rogue forum, ‘old’ means ‘good’ and if you call into question an active ability that literally just makes your automatic white attacks faster, they’ll say you haven’t been around long enough and recommend an easier class to denigrate you.

Hello and welcome.

8 Likes

This is the rationale they’re using to remove some abilities from the global cooldown. Personally, I wish they’d employ this logic to remove or re-imagine SnD. It’s gameplay impact can’t even rise to the level of enhancing subsequent button presses.

3 Likes

That’s the case only for Assassination though, which I agree needs something more.

What I wish we had for Slice and Dice would be something that either (incoming random ideas);

Gave the next XYZ number of attacks a 100% windfury chance.
Made the next XYZ number of attacks trigger a short 3s duration bleed.

or something like that. I mean anything that messes with attack speeds, haste, bleeds, proc chances or rates, perhaps even parry chance…I mean lots of things can encapsulate the spirit of “slicing and dicing” which to me reads as wild and fast swings that are weak but rapid.

Anything like that would be far more interesting than what we have now. I can’t really say I don’t want SnD…I do. But I agree it’s boring for Sin - and really when it comes to game design, boring SHOULD be considered a failure. Still - that doesn’t mean it should go away - just that it should at least be reworked.

I generally think nothing should be deleted unless you just cannot make it fun to use.

Whoa! I think your goals for a class fantasy might be a bit different from mine.

2 Likes

After spending some time on Beta this weekend, I really feel SnD has no place in Assassination. It just makes the spec feel clunky.

I would much rather have a big finisher on a CD. Something like Gormaws Bite that utilizes combo points.

5 Likes

How about we get combat back, and blizzard gets rid of the that outlaw crap

3 Likes

Outlaw is an improvement in nearly every aspect.

I don’t understand this fixation some people have with Combat, it was such a boring spec to play. With Bandit’s Guile returning as a Lego and Dreadblades a talent option it’s the first time the spec has any depth to it.

1 Like

Combat was fun with ARP.

Most people’s issue with outlaw is because of how bad RTB is.

Good players want to control their damage not rely on rng. It’s why outlaw will almost never be a good pvp spec.

RTB isn’t fun, it isn’t engaging, it’s an rng bad show.

Around these parts, older is always better!

But really, yeah, I never really liked Combat. I always lumped it in with Frost for DK. I called them ADD specs. Specs for people that just want to push a lot of buttons really fast. There’s nothing wrong with liking the play. It just wasn’t for me.

Combat definitely was designed better than Outlaw.

1 Like

That wasn’t ad hominem

Outlaw isn’t good in PvP because of a lack of on-demand damage, pressure and various other issues. RtB is not a huge factor in that. It’s damage in general is just bad compared to Assassination and Subtlety, at least in PvP activities.

RtB hasn’t been a huge impact on our DPS since BFA, there are multiple sims that demonstrate the differences in DPS between fishing for BIS rolls, ideal rolls and not rolling at all. It is nowhere near as much as you’d expect, Outlaw surprisingly has one of the lowest DPS variance on a per-pull basis out of all the specs in the game, it’s very reliable.

The entire problem with RtB is it just feels bad to use, every time you roll and don’t get ideal buffs you’re always thinking that it could have been a better roll and you felt like you wasted your Combo Points. It’s a similar issue with getting single buffs will always feel bad because you ‘could have rolled two’. I always suggest an easy fix is to limit RtB to always rolling no more and no less than two, with some minor tweaking of the weaker buffs it would always feel like a rewarding button to press IMO.

4 Likes

I’ve suggested the same on several occasions and also believe it’s the best way to keep the ability while not having it be almost universally hated.

Have to agree for the most part. While Assassination needed a little more going on, I don’t think SnD was what it needed. At least not without some other mechanic to help with upkeep. I know as gear improves in Shadowlands it’ll feel a bit better but with entry level gear it almost feels like a waste. The opportunity cost feels bad for what you get in return.

It feels fine for Outlaw, honestly haven’t tried Sub.

4 Likes

I’ve always had an irrational distaste for SnD, it’s baked into my memory. I wouldn’t be sad to see it iterated on or removed again personally. I understand a lot of folks feel like something was missing though.

1 Like