SMALL question

Did not have a clue how many there were back then, so just gonna ask quick - how many servers total will there be on Classic wow?

I’m assuming it isn’t going to be nearly as much of a joke as things like retail currently having up to like 6 servers connected into one and all of them being equally dead. Like you can scroll down the forum list and see the absolute joke list of dead servers there, much like the one I’m on.

Will there be an appropriate number of servers for the playerbase’s population instead of something unreasonable, or something else entirely that I might be missing?

All help is appreciated xoxoxo

I’m going to guess 3, maybe 4. One PvE, one PvP (a second if population is high), and the iffy one is a RP server. Two for sure.

1 Like

im guessing 15 server

Nobody has a clue. Don’t even look at people’s numbers because they’re all equally correct and incorrect.

4 Likes

I’m guessing here… but I assume there will be:

One pve server US
One pvp server US
One pve server EU
One pvp server EU
One rp server - dunno where…

That said, they also said there would be Oceanic servers too… so maybe a pvp and pve oceanic?

And they toyed with the idea of possibly opening up one rp-pvp server…

I think those are our server lists… the question that remains is how many layers will each of these have?

If layering works, you’re going to see a large number of virtual servers and decrease as time goes on and population stabilizes.

No one knows what the number of the servers is. You got to see it for yourself.
Neo… ehm Morphy… or it was someone smart that said it

I can only guess due to not knowing exactly how many people will stick with it after the initial launch. Let’s assume that there will be 500,000 players in North America alone that keep playing after the initial inspection. Let’s also assume that 75% of those players will be on a PvP server, 15% will be on a PvE server, and 10% will be on a RP server.

PvP Servers: 375,000 Players
PvE Servers: 75,000 Players
RP Servers: 50,000 Players

Let’s also assume that peak online concurrent players is 60% with it being 25% at non-peak hours. Peak hours will refer to 5 PM to 11 PM for each time zone.

Servers are broken into time zones, PST, CST, and EST. Let’s assume that all players are divided into each time zone equally for ease of calculation.

PST PvP Servers: 125,000 Players
PST PvE Servers: 25,000 Players
PST RP Servers: 17,000~ Players

CST PvP Servers: 125,000 Players
CST PvE Servers: 25,000 Players
CST RP Servers: 17,000~ Players

CST PvP Servers: 125,000 Players
CST PvE Servers: 25,000 Players
CST RP Servers: 17,000~ Players

Using the 60% peak online concurrent players I made up (different values can be plugged in) let us take 9 PM EST as a sample time. That means it is 8 PM CST, 6 PM PST. All servers in North America are now in peak hours.

Concurrent Players

PST PvP Servers: 75,000 Players
PST PvE Servers: 15,000 Players
PST RP Servers: 10,000~ Players

CST PvP Servers: 75,000 Players
CST PvE Servers: 15,000 Players
CST RP Servers: 10,000~ Players

CST PvP Servers: 75,000 Players
CST PvE Servers: 15,000 Players
CST RP Servers: 10,000~ Players

Based on my numbers I pulled out of no where with no understanding of how many players will stay and how many players are concurrently playing at peak hours, I believe based on this example we would need:

75 PvP Servers (25 PST, 25 CST, 25 EST)
15 PvE Servers (5 PST, 5 CST, 5 EST)
12 RP Servers (4 PST, 4 CST, 4 EST)

Total: 102 Servers is what I would like to see if the numbers match. Blizzard will have metrics they can use to make this number more accurate. I just hope they don’t underestimate the number of servers. I do not want to see servers with over 3,000 players online at the same time.

2 Likes

75% of the population will not be on PvP servers.

5 Likes

Like I said “let’s assume”. I didn’t say there will be. I just had to have a percentage to use and I don’t know the true percentage.

100 billion.

I don’t think Blizz has a firm number yet. My guess is they’ll look at how many accounts reserve names when they do that thing august 12/13. Then they’ll crunch numbers to guestimate the number of temporary influx. Then decide how many servers they should have for the theoretical stable population after the temp people leave. Then maybe add 2 more just in case.

That’s what I’d do anyway. I have no idea what their process is.

Well, there’s plenty that says there’s gonna be at least a couple hundred thousand playing, but who knows how much of that is divided between EU and US. Either way, servers typically hold a couple thousand players roughly? So there should be quite a few. Knowing Blizzard…gross underestimation inc.

For sure it will be over 9000!

3 Likes

what?!?!?1 9000?!

2 Likes

The devs came out and said that they slipped up in saying we will have over 9,000 servers.

It is really over 8,000!

1 Like

But 9000 is already over 8000. Is this that hip new Common Core Math thing all the kids are doing these days? :crazy_face:

1 Like

IDK? Ask that :monkey: vegeta, he probably knows…

1 Like

probably around 20 for each region.

Your guess is as good as anyone else’s. Mum’s the word from Blizz.