Slyvanas is not a bad character

I dont think she is being mind controlled per say but i think she was being influenced by the jailor sort of how bolvar was trying to resist him

Well I could aswell try to influence you by saying: “Hey want to kill some people from florida they deserve it for reasons?” but then you would still have to agree or decline. Which is your decision and your respobsibility.

I mean slyvanas was already in a piss poor mental state after wrath seeing as she committed suicide

Sure.

I am convinced that a lot of murderers and people who commit horrible crimes have mental issues.
That doesn’t by any means attone them form anything.

And Sylvanas is not a badly written character because she does evil deeds, but how the writers have her cheat and win with the storytelling to make it happen.

Sylvanas as a “person” is actually a believable character.
The how she is written and that she achieves things that would actually be impossible by physics alone, is what people hat about her.

How writers! shove the character into our face.

I want to point out a couple of things here.

I agree that Sylvanas was not responsible for the evil she did under the Lich King’s influence and when she broke free of his control.

And then others broke free and sought her out. She became their icon leader. Their light of hope for redemption.

But where she started becoming evil was after she killed herself on Icecrown. That was just beginning.

When the val’kyr appeared to here and offered their lives for her, this is where she started going wrong.

She then started playing around with the blight and using it on the living. Testing and dissecting on the living. And her deeds got worse.

When one who is control of themselves start doing such things, they are no longer redeemable.

So, no, she does not deserve redemption for that. She knew what she was doing and even created the Forsaken motto, “Death to the Living!”

She was evil before.
Her and teh Forsaken were doing evil things since classic. Look at the apothecracy who were experimenting on humans for example.

I know. I’m just trying to remember the timeline of when she did what.

Also I want to point out, as a leader, she had no right to abandon those Forsaken that looked to her for guidance and hope.

For that, she has more to answer because of her selfish decisions.

At least he didn’t spell it ‘‘Sylvanus’’ like I see so often.

1 Like

First of all these afterlives sucks if you arent a wild god because the way they decide who goes where its not about justice, its not about paying for your sins in life, its about extracting resources for the sake of the shadowlands and how useful you can be, its incredibly disgusting.

Second these afterlives suck because even if you are an average joe everything is quite horrible, you expect to go to a different afterlife but nope, your soul got ripped and put somewhere else for the sake of the shadowlands but i digress.

Getting to my point about sylvanas, she couldve possibly go to revendreth then bastion, im pretty sure she got bamboozled by the jailer.

How do i know? the accuser reaped planets and she is walking free in revendreth, kel thuzad was on maldraxxus and that bastard deserves to be in superhell, both of them deserve to be on super hell, vash should be tortured with garrosh in revendreth but nope, she is free, garrosh killed lots of people and instigated a world war but he is getting anima sucked from his manteats why isnt sylvanas there with him? why she was sent to the maw? so she could be manipulated into screwing everyone up.

Now then we will never be sure of this until the story progresses a bit further.

About her as a character we would need to talk a bit more first.

Most of her behaviour is pretty consistent, she is selfish and first wanted revenge on arthas, after that she left everything to rot but had to go back because she was going to the maw, then she turned the forsaken to her bulwark against death, that was consistent till she didnt needed any of them anymore.

The rest however leaves a lot to be said, she got her power from the jailer and in trying to seem mysterious it comes off as… free powers from the writer, we had to be told explicitly several times she is getting more powerful and that is bad writing, you SHOW THAT you dont tell your audience.

Saurfang mentioned that everything she did was a failure but not really, lordaeron? from my side everything was framed as her win, she and by extension the horde genocided the night elves, destroyed a world tree and there was no reaction from the earthern ring or the cenarion circle plus her soldiers still support her, on lordaeron she easly sacrificed lots of horde soldiers to blight everything then deny the city to the alliance, still has the support of the horde, the valkyr she lost? she has a lot more now, the zandalari fleet? nah dw lets make a deal with azshara, boom, the alliance fleet was decimated negating the previous loses no matter she had to sacrifice a couple of her own but its still ok do you know why? even still after that she.still.has. the support of her people as told by lorthemar.

The worst of all this, is that we did this dance once, its not the first time a warchief goes mad with power, THERE SHOULDVE BEEN A REBELLION SINCE TELDRASSIL BURNED, line shouldve been drawn immediatly on prepatch not after freaking patch 8.2

So we see, for this to happen lots of people had to act out of character, half of the story had to be handwaved, breaking disbelief (intercontinental catapults am i right?) and the other half had to be explained on a panel.

Because of her the entire narrative had to be twisted more than a mobius strip that is why she is a bad character, with her current development she is skirting creator’s pet territory and that is why lots of people hate her, and not hate her in a hate sink way where you hate her because it feels good to hate her, you hate her because every time she appears she ruins the scene.

1 Like

Gods forbid that we have a powerful woman character that actually acted on her own agency.

Basically this.
It all concludes to exactly this.

You still have Jaina.

Jaina doesn’t drive narrative the way Sylvannas as villain does. It also ignores the point. Sylvannas is a far more compelling character with her varied history and actions and it dimmishs her to ascribe her more important actions to diminished agency or complete lack of it.

I made pretty much the same statement regards Arthas awhile back.

Sylvanas is also a character whos plans have failed in the past too. Like in Cata when she took a shotgun to the back of the head for underestimating Lord Godfrey.

People act like everything she does goes off without a hitch, most of her plans have failed to some degree or another. Some more spectacularly than others.

3 Likes

Meh, I’m not too excited by it because it’s basically just choosing which flavor of poison I prefer: either half the warchiefs are just plain bad, or the (female) driver of plot is manipulated. Neither of those is very satisfying, storywise.

having a bad life does not excuse giving other people a bad life

I used up all my likes today so I’m replying to give a heart here in agreement. :heart:

1 Like

Sylvanas is not a bad character. She is a tricky character to write for especially when front and center. BFA failed her spectacularly.

5 Likes

As a Sylvanas and the Banshees fan myself, I ask where is it stated she is not evil? For all we know she could be aming to control the Maw itself (better be on top of a nasty situation) either with evil purpose or not is yet to be seen.

And killing all those Nelves… I guess she was more like, dude you’re gonna die at some point, life is overrated lemme show you.

Sylvanas was inherently one of the most complicated characters in World of Warcraft, and by extension was the most connected to the race she represented far more than any other faction lead.

The Windrunner was forced to walk a tightrope where one small misstep could spell death not just for her but also her people. There’s times shown when Sylvanas relaxes - even a little - bad things happen to her. And her people.

When BfA was announced it completely slaughtered Slyvanas’ character through the usage of retcons and other bad narratives from the forced perspective of writers. She effectively jumped the shark.

Most point to this instead of her being emotionless. Though her lack of introspection recently I find to be bad writing.

4 Likes