SL Item Levels (as of 10/3)

So gear between 150 and 233 I lvls.
In a single teir.
New squish next xpac.

3 Likes

in which xpac could you just pvp?
not one. the best stuff is from scripted encounters. corruptions would have been fine if the resistance was lowered and corruption procs did less damage IN PVP. maybe only enough resistance to accommodate 2pieces of corruption gear with a much heavier penalty for going over. true risk vs reward instead of the 120 twinking going on.

WoD, and it was glorious

3 Likes

trinkets too? or maybe you just like having a set bonus? vendor gear with pvp power wasn’t best. just easiest to get.

1 Like

Cata.
MoP.
WoD.

My PvP experience earlier than that is limited so I cannot give personal insight.
Could maybe count Legion too since templates helped that.

2 Likes

so why isn’t anyone crying about spell pen or hit rating? if any of you think a damage mitigation stat is holding you back…

…please keep playing i like to win.

Don’t know. That wasn’t the question.
You asked which expac we could just PvP and I gave you an answer.

Indeed I am sure you do get some kind of satisfaction and validation from thinking you “win” on a public discussion forum.

i meant winning in game. no points are given on the forums anymore for winning. i have alot.

The way in which it was worded makes it seem like you believe you’re winning an argument which I didn’t even know was taking place lol. And it’s quite common for people to do the “keep trying” “I’m winning” thing on the forum.

Expanding on earlier, I never saw hit rating as a big deal. Just cap it and be on your way. I am glad that it is gone since we cannot reforge anymore, but it wasn’t a bother to me.

WoD and Legion (to a slightly lesser extent)

• TBC

• WoTLK

• Cata

• MoP

• WoD

There were certain PvE items that were good, but they weren’t required.

1 Like

legion templates scaled with ilevel. so pve gear was best.

you need to play the whole game for the best results. right now if you’re on a capped legion(110) account pvp gear is 185ilevel if it doesn’t upgrade. the highest ive seen those get is 220. mythic ant can drop 260. trinkets from mythic ant take a huge hit in bg’s and are nerfed 50% i think. tier sets from pve. zero tier from pvp.
i can do this all day. wow isnt a pvp game. its dragon slaying with pvp sprinkled in.

The question wasn’t which is best. The question was in which xpac could you only PvP.
The scaling of Legion represented a 1% difference per 10 ilvls. With a difference of 100ilvls you were only approx 10% stronger stat-wise. Instead of 100 agility you have 110 agility, for example. Yes PvE was “best” but the difference was negligible for 99% of players.

2 Likes

The benefit you gained was negligible, however. There was a 1% gain for every 10 item levels. I didn’t play season 3, but before that it was not necessary to do dungeons or raids to be the big dog in a BG.

1 Like

Hilarious, we almost said the same exact thing independently of each other including using some of the same words. :stuck_out_tongue:

You asked:

and in WoD that is what I did.

Imagine if all we had to do in PVE was get the odd trinket. I won’t even mind getting a legendary.

Sadly, PVE will be the best way to gear…again.

1 Like

Wotlk to some extent. Its pvp gear was viable in some raids like ulduar for example where ilvl became important before ilvl was a thing. Pve gear wasnt exactly as great in pvp because you needed resilience, a stat missing in pvp that stopped over geared players from stepping into pvp and annihilating everything.

if i had to guess, the hate on templates was the kneejerk reaction from this experience:

“hehe, my spell goes BOOM, i can’t wait to use this in pvp.”
< 5 minutes later >
“what, my BOOM spell is a whimper! why are my stats messed up? my leggo doesnt work? WTH blizz?!, this sucks, i hate it”

they never moved past that to actually learn the pvp meta and model. legion pvp was amazing. the fact was you basically could ignore gearing and just play any toon you wanted, you got to customize with your talents, and your main felt like it was more powerful than your alts due to the slight powercurve from the ilvl scaling.

it really was good and a lot of people didn’t give it a chance.

I did give it a chance, but it was not enticing enough to keep me as interested. Maybe I am a victim of a consumption society, but I truly enjoyed gearing up in WoD. I went from all PVP everyday to some PVP here and there.

Saving up currency, checking the vendor, planning my next upgrade, gaining power, I really enjoyed all of it.

Had I known BfA was going to be so horrid, I might have played more haha!

I think it really irked me to go from PVP for PVP gear to PVE for PVP gear. And that I knew there was no chance of me getting BIS gear for PVP because I was not all that into raids.

2 Likes

i like to compare wow’s pvp with another custom toon pvp game i know and that’s armored core. armored core required you to play both missions(pve) and arena(pvai) to unlock all the parts.

but the important part is that they were unlocked for good. once you collected them they were in the game store if you wanted to use for a different build later.

where wow goes wrong is that you dont stop on the growth ladder. what upset me this expac was gettiku, its a neat 2h and most dks will rock it for pvp, esp arena.

where it gets upsetting is that you cant just farm M+ once to get teh weapon and be done, you have to come back every season and get a new one.

additionally growth covers more than just ilvl and power. player skill, knowledge, and experience grow as well.

1 Like