Single player WoW-like game out there?

Any games where you keep playing the same character from expansion to expansion like WoW… but single player?

I do entirely solo play in WoW, in large part because I can keep this same character going for years, always building upon what’s already there, without having to start over. I haven’t found any solo games out there where you DON’T have to start a new character over from scratch as soon as a new expansion/sequel comes out.

Do any single player games like that exist? I want to progress one toon for a long time, but WoW is a MMO and I just want to play by myself.

Suggestions? Thanks!

1 Like

I think the most in-depth RPG i have ever played would be Witcher 3, between the base game and the expansions, there’s months and months of stuff to do and it can be done with a lot of different playstyles/gear/weapons. Honestly not sure if there’s anything that you’re looking for like that, single player games aren’t really supported for year after year, they’re just released and then abandoned, some have a little DLC but that’s about it.

Someone else may have some better suggestions though.

4 Likes

It’s been about 10 years, so I might be misremembering, but I believe Dragon Age: Origins did this at least for one expansion, where if you played through the original game, you could either create a “new” character for the expansion or just bring in your already-existing one from the original game. Dialogue and the like was affected, too, based on whether you were this random new guy sent from elsewhere or an established character.

2 Likes

Skyrim? I have it in my library, never installed though.

2 Likes

Cool, I’ll check that out! Only one expansion worth, but something’s better than nothing.

1 Like

You really should.

1 Like

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is a game you’d probably enjoy. It’s been called a single-player WoW and I really like it. I haven’t gotten very far though.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll take a look!

1 Like

The Elder Scrolls series as a whole. Morrowind and Skyrim are personally my favorite.

2 Likes

Dragon Age 2 is the most underrated Gem ever, but play Origins first, :).

1 Like

also its worth going back as far as Morrowwind as I think someone else mentioned…great games…perhaps, actually yes better lore then WoW.

1 Like

while action oriented and less “RPG” i recommend the LOTR Middle Earth games (Shadow of Mordor,etc) those two were fantastic combat and story.

1 Like

Dragon Age origins and Final Fantasy 12 have that feel (especially origins)

1 Like

Valheim is pretty dope if you like sandbox singleplayer games. DA Origins is a classic though. They really should remaster it.

2 Likes

Skyrim, just play it from 3rd person and there are some Wow-like mods you can get.

1 Like