Sinful Gladiator mount

stop dodging meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

For someone who played 30,000 arena games over the course of 12 years… doesn’t it make sense for it to be fairly easy? Its not like the game fundamentally changed since Wrath. Do something for 10,000 hours and you’ll master it.

If the game was thriving i’d agree to go back but now, if you really want to go back to the days of some seasons having 2-300 spots mostly all taken by the same boys club and their alts/gfs/bffs, sure, but the game won’t be very sustainable. Walling people at 2100 isn’t any better than walling them at 2400.

3 Likes

Definitely my favorite mount besides the legion storm drakes (wish I pvp’d then). But anything is better than the bfa garbage XD

I’m just hoping we get more frequent balance patches and RMx isn’t the strongest comp or at least has true counters.

The old 0.5% system worked decently when the ladder was larger back in the days of s14-15 MoP and WoD S1-S3. I’m not 100% sure but before DQs there was something like 1100-1300 spots a season for just Gladiator and R1 had as many as 300 spots. Compare that to the loss of players in Legion where I think Legion s6 had like 60 R1 spots and 260ish Gladiator spots. I agree with you that going back to the old system just won’t ever work again. I’d even like to see R1 be class locked for accounts so that we don’t have people like Nahj, Xaryu, and others eating up as many as 3 R1 spots per a season. That’s fundamentally bad for the long term health of a ladder as well.

4 Likes

S15 had something like 400 R1 spots and an insane amount of glad spots. People still tout it as the holy grail of WoW PvP.

Why is accessibility such a bad thing then?

Tbh the periods you mention is the only times the old system was even remotely functional outside maybe S3 (BC) and S8 (Wrath) due to them being long season during peak periods for the game in term of general interest for it. Almost every other season before the great BGroup merge after S13 was exploited to hell and back in most bgroups, outside BG9.

Bottom line, the percentile system is not reliable as it requires the game to be in a good state to feel “fair”. Not exactly something Blizzard can guarantee anymore.

3 Likes

I do like the idea of R1 spots by class. That way its not 80% mage/rogue/x with crusader taking 5 pally spots XD. Incentivizes people to play alts of different classes too, which adds more comp diversity in the meta.

Not following for your /flirt this time. :triumph:

Yup, I think the closest any season has gotten to S15 in terms of popularity was MAYBE BFA S1. The accessibility was really decent. Only thing that had to be grinded significantly was Azerite gear, which sucked but everything else was easily doable in a week or less. WoD had very good accessibility but it had its own major balance issues in every season that created a ton of cancerous comps to be queued. Combat rogues in S1 and Ferals, Enhance, and Afflock in S2. Accessibility in PvP is key to having the ladder be large.

Mark my words that mount is gonna be the best thing about season 1 and possibly the whole xpac if they keep their hands off approach lmao.

i played most of the seasons between 15 and this one and i’m shocked to see bfa s1 ranked above legion s5-7 and wod s2-3

1 Like

The beginning of that season up until around early November had all kinds of variance in comps. It also wasn’t hard to level characters and get them arena ready. Just in pure participation numbers I think its the closest to S15 compared to other seasons. By November though the balance changes had killed a lot of popular specs, and most people were super burnt out by the meta that had developed with Rsham/moonkin/x, Rsham/spriest/x, and RMPala being 90ish% of games above 2.2k.

i feel like we’re like intentionally forgetting how that season actually played out

turbo was insane
rogue mage was insane
rsham/dh/wizard was unbeatable (sp/moonking)

jungle was okay

everything else sucked big

if you remove earthenwall and manaburn from that season it probably would have realistically been the best paced and second most diverse to corrupted though
still significantly worse than anything before it by a large margin though

If WoTLK had 2400 + 50 wins for gladiator, I would have gotten it back then every season. Idc if I was screwed out of gladiator countless times because of the old system, that’s what made getting it actually mean something. My point is that current gladiator is 1000x easier than old gladiator. Granted, 2400 in the very beginning of the season is much more difficult than at the end of the season but that’s my point entirely; make it scale weekly. People, especially kids, nowadays want everything handed to them or for things to be P2W. It’s just sad to me Blizzard is complying with this behavior by “fixing” a system that wasn’t broken in the first place.

They should have the titles scale per week similar to how they used to update cutoffs. Static ratings without scaling in a game where inflation is very much present, is just an oversight by the developers.

^ This

TLDR; Gladiator doesn’t feel like Gladiator anymore at all.

If devs wanted it to become somewhat prestigous again, they’d make the ratings scale with the ladder weekly (every Tuesday would have a “rating to beat”).

1 Like

Except it was a thing in the old system as well since longer seasons meant more people on the ladder, which meant more spots and “easier” titles.

The current system is at least more consistent and the amount of slots isn’t entirely dependent on how “good” the game currently is.

I think you’re extrapolating way too much. 1-2% of the arena crowd getting mounts is still pretty damn exclusive. They could always add a new permanent title at 2700 to bridge the R1/Glad gap if that’s the only big issue with how the game works now.

Just think back of all the drama back then, the 18 way tie at the end of Wrath on one of the BGroups and all that gaming the system BS that was going on then, how much less of it would had happened with the current system in place?

I’ve only been back for a few months but i haven’t heard of much anything. People just FOTM their way to the mount at worst, but that’s the game working as intended at this point.

2 Likes

Lol oh god, I saw that happen a few times.

I get even before titles got “easier” in longer seasons due to more spots opening up. I still think however, titles should scale with the ladder to compensate for inflation. That or make Gladiator’s static rating a bit higher 2550/2600 + 50 wins.

It doesn’t really make sense to lap “the elite” and “gladiator” at 2400. I guess personally, I’d have a lot more fun pushing on main and alt if the ratings scaled.

The Elite should had been 2700. But too late for that.

If every season lasted 8months+ like this one i agree 100%. The system was made with 3-4 months seasons in mind from what i can see so i agree that’s an oversight.

Like, my point isn’t “free glad for everyone”. I just always thought the old system was incredibly bad outside a handful of seasons that properly supported it.

1 Like

Yeah, I think that’s the real problem. This system was made in mind that seasons would go on for 3-4 months tops hence why they had so many different colored protos that weren’t used.

100% an oversight, my thought process was the scaling would act as a safeguard so that wouldn’t happen.

Great one! Might motivate more people to push!

Yeah i get that. Idk for me personally atleast this season once i got my 50 wins i never qued another 3s. Only because i can’t stand meta even playing rmx. I don’t think there’s a solution tbh both systems have benefits. Glad was obviously more meaningful pre bfa, but idk I’m almost 30 now if u asked me when i was 17 i would be a lot more upset with trash locks and rogues getting glad mounts but at this point in my life… and the way the game is now personal achieves i don’t think it even matters. People complain about bfa r1s aswell like, oh ur a 1x r1 and it’s s1 or s4 yeah ur boosted trash anyways who cares. My overall point is that everyone trashes on everyone for everything so who cares.

5 Likes

Particle effect wings that look pretty cool? Gives me hope for the enchant. Do we know what the enchant looks like yet?