Sincere question

was outlaw even MORE chaotic than it is now before the rework? i played sub last season when i played rogue at all, but this season i wanted to put more of an earnest effort in rating climbing. but my lord, with this spec all i do is stare at the ‘dashboard’. is the rework considered a successful one?

3 Likes

I’d say people are very split on it. People who like it really like it, and I am included in that group. For me this really captures the absolute spammy reactionary feel outlaw should have. Almost all important moments of the rotation are reactionary, and the rotation moves so fast that you only have quarter second windows to decide the right button to press.

Many people dislike how stealth stances became a more integral part of the spec then even s1/s2, and the Ar maintenance minigame though. I can understand them because outlaw was reworked to basically stop functioning if AR drops and plays quite bad until you manage to get it back up again.

S1 and S2 outlaw was basically just the filler rotation current outlaw has, so it was kinda less chaotic. You just looped your procs (audacity/PS) and if you ever ran out of procs you’d use vanish or dance to recover them. The new outlaw basically took that, made it the filler of outlaw, and tacked crackshot playstyle on top.

That being said, current outlaw actually has less variance (in sims) then s1/s2 outlaw because we no longer “fish” for certain RtB buffs, nor have certain buffs that are much much better then other ones. Current outlaw is actually one of the most normalized versions of law we’ve had just because we have 3+ RtB buffs for a majority of the fight (due to tier set) and the RtB rules have changed to basically “roll if you are guaranteed to get more buffs”

I like the spammy part, but the problem is that it has moments of extreme slowdown when AR stops being up and that makes the spec feel instantly bad.

The thing I don’t like is that you have roughly 13 different buffs to track, and having some of them being only active for 5~6 seconds (CTO/Crackshot), with a ton of RNG on which button to press next which you only have .8s to decide. Even with a ton of WAs there’s way too much to keep track of on top of what you have to track in combat. For raid it’s not much of an issue because it’s choreographed for the most part, but in M+ it’s nearly impossible, especially on KiR.

There will be a few people on the forums that will tell you it’s fine, but outlaw is a very clear outlier in terms of how complex it is vs how strong it is, and that’s not a good sign. For comparison, retri pala doesn’t need a single WA to track stuff, for outlaw I’m drowning in WAs.

I picked Outlaw because I don’t want to rely on stealth. Between tanks chain pulling and the giant assortment of bugs that comes with stealthing all the time, I just don’t care for it. Also Outlaw already has a load of buffs to keep track of, Subterfuge just added onto the load.

But it pumps hard no doubt, that can’t be denied.

2 Likes

Experienced Rogues don’t have problems with it.

The problem is that it tramples on Sub’s spec identity while Outlaw no longer has an identity. It is neither Combat Rogue or Legion Outlaw Rogue. Not even close to BFA Outlaw Rogue.

Systemlands Outlaw Rogue kind of but with this expansion Outlaw Rogue is basically Sub lite with some sprinkles of Outlaw.

:surfing_woman: :man_surfing: