Sin or Sub?

Im new to rogue and wanted a spec thats ok-easy to pick up but has depth and i can grow as a player. ive been loving assassination but sometimes the damage lets me down. i made this character which i plan to be my main this month. im watching guides etc to get better at interrupting and even did got a mouseouver interrupt macro. someone said Sub is similar to assassination. but wowhead says is kinda unforgiven so i wanted to know from the guys who got rogue experience which spec to play between these 2 (cuz outlaw is too fast, too many things to track and im kinda slow)

Assassination is more forgiving because of its DoT based damage (Damage over Time). This means you not penalized as badly for having to move away from your target. You don’t have to have 100% uptime in order to do good DPS.

Subtlety, on the other hand, is focused on burst damage created by burst windows from Shadow Dance. You only have 8 seconds per minute to blast as much damage as you can. This is what makes Subtlety more punishing. If you mess up the rotation or Shadow Dance gets interrupted, your DPS takes a big hit.

That’s the basic difference in a nutshell. However, there are other nuances that come into play.

1 Like

Dont do assassination if u think outlaw is an issue. Assassination is dotting everything then focusing on a single target and splashing everything out. Then you got snap shotting, pooling energy all while trying to cast vanish, kingsbane, shiv, garrote and thistle tea all at certin seconds of the kingsbane. There is a reason why not many people play assassination. Took me about a week of study and practice to get it down and i still f it up. Outlaw is the easiest so…

That’s because Subtlety does higher DPS even though it’s less forgiving.

1 Like

humm then outlaw is the starter spec?even tho its the same few buttons its a lot to track and keep tabs on while doing your dps, so again and im sorry. but would you recommend SIN or Outlaw then? im not asking for a shortcut or an easy way out,ill learn rogue in due time but i need something that teaches the basics etc, i mostly do raids, but i did my share of M+ as sin (hit the 2k rating yesterday)

There is a talent that spreads your dots coming out of stealth and with Shadow dance to help reapply aoe doting its not that bad just have to hit the timing window to get 2 garrote’s and a rupture right out of stealth.

I find assassination is more fun but that is just me. Have fun on finding the spec you like of the choices.

1 Like

I would go with sin, Sin is what this rogue has been 90% of her life. Vanish/SD for the aoe spread of Garrote and Rupture for aoe dot spread. As stated above there is a talent that will spread rupture and Garrote coming out of stealth. Which also spreads the Garrote silence and you have SD to reapply aoe dots. which is the build I am using. Not to mention the Envenom to add seconds onto SnD. Also look at multiple sources for talent builds not just one.

This is my best advice for you

1 Like

Outlaw is a bit too fast for me too so I tried fairly hard to get good at sub because sin isn’t in a good place right now damage-wise compared to the other two, but what killed sub for me was being energy starved too often. I stuck with sin because even though the damage potential is lower, at least you aren’t as worried about energy management.

Probably a skill issue though, I’m not really a rogue main I just play it as sort of a side project.

1 Like

More then that boss to play assassination correctly. Snap shooting, proper timing of vanish at 3 seconds on kingsbane, 5 to 6 seconds of thistle tea before kingsbane ends. Keeping 2 shivs for kingsbane, pooling after you built 4 combo points for sudden demise. Basically spinning plates on fingers in order to maximize dps, but once you learn it you are a beast

1 Like

Well it also depends on if your running a poison or a bleed build. Either seems viable but I will be honest I haven’t played rogue much this expansion other than leveling and doing what I am doing.

Yeah I feel like for the comparative complexity of assassination gameplay, we don’t really get satisfying returns.