Silvertip Reunion

The two small figures trekked through the jungle’s undergrowth, though only one of them made any appreciable noise. Renzly scouted ahead, keeping watch for dangerous creatures, and making sure they were still on the correct path. Somewhere nearby, an imp did the same thing, keeping an eye out for magical dangers. So far, Renzly had seen several large feline pawprints, but nothing fresh.

Satisfied they were heading the correct way, she doubled back to where the older goblin woman carefully picked her way up the incline, her feet crunching on fallen leaves and branches. She used a staff in one hand to keep balance.

“Ya doin’ okay, Ma?”

The woman looked up at Renzly, using her free hand to make a sign for, “I’m fine. Keep going.”

“We’re almost there. Maybe another half hour. Can stop and rest if you want.”

“Keep going.” She signed again with determination, emphasizing the hand motion. “I’m not that old, daughter.”

“Maybe I want a break for myself.” Renzly rolled her eyes, fishing a flask from her pouch and taking a swig. Rum. Not really the ideal drink for a trek through the woods, but considering their destination, one she welcomed.

She’d just about given up hope of finding her mother when the letter requesting a meeting came. Their first few meetings they spent catching up on each other’s lives; Renzly was dismayed at how rusty her signing had gotten, but she was always quick to learn things with her hands.

Like Renzly, Luzanne Silvertip had initially decided to keep a low profile after they had last seen each other. She had spent the time hiding from Zenik and the other members of the Tallowit Consortium.

Unlike Renzly, a former thief and assassin, the mage had an easier time of finding a quiet little job that kept her concealed.

Luzanne had heard of Zenik’s passing, but until recently, didn’t know if Renzly were still working for the Tallowits or not. Now that mother and daughter were reunited, they were tackling the job of dismantling the remnants of the consortium together.

Renzly had already scouted several of her father’s secret laboratories, but even after Zenik’s death, those places were dangerous. Luzanne was confident she could take down his defenses. And the very first site she wanted to visit? Stranglethorn.

Renzly took another swig of rum and pressed onward.

The place hadn’t changed much from the last time she visited. She perched on top of a fallen log by a copse of trees while she waited for Luzanne to survey the scene. A short distance away, obscured by several large bushes, the opening to a cave could just be discerned. Nothing of the dark interior was visible.

“That is it?” Lunzanne pointed to the cave.

“Yeah.” Renzly nodded. “That’s the place Pop died.”

(1/10)

1 Like

“Lemme see!” A young Renzly stood on her tiptoes, eyes just above the level on the table as her mother finished working on the scroll. “I wanna see!”

“Patience,” Luzanne softly chided, her quill poised to make the last stroke. The mana gem strung from Luzanne’s neck glowed first, then the ink radiated an arcane blue as the final lines were joined. The entire design on the page flashed with a spark of light before fading to what appeared to be an ordinary ink drawing. “All done.”

“Cooool,” Renzly breathed. “Now it’s magic?”

Luzanne carefully rolled up the scroll, tying it off with a black ribbon. “Someone with the right knowledge can now use this ta quickly cast a protection spell. Not as strong as if they took the time ta draw the symbols themselves, but sometimes one needs speed over strength.”

“Can I try?”

“Ya still need ta finish learnin’ to write ya letters! Go get some of the scrap paper an’ show me how much ya’ve been practicing.”

Luzanne set aside the scroll along with her other finished works as her daughter gathered her writing supplies. From elsewhere in the house, a male voice called her name.

“Lu? Where are ya?”

“In the study! With Renzly!” she called back. “You’re back early!”

The door to the study flew open. Zenik stood still, clutching his cane tightly in one hand. He barely glanced at his wife before seeking out Renzly with a troubled look. The girl paused midway in writing her name on the paper.

“Poppa?”

“Get her outta here,” Zenik ordered.

Luzanne frowned. “Is something wrong? What happened at the meetin’ with Finna?”

“Get her OUT.” He slammed the tip of his cane on the floor. “Are ya disobeyin’ me?”

Renzly dropped her quill, looking at her mother in fright. Luzanne placed a comforting hand on top of her head. “Go on, dear. Go ta your room. We’ll continue the lesson later.”

She shooed her daughter out of the lab; the young girl skirted past her father at the door, who didn’t even deign to look at her as she went by. Luzanne crossed her arm with an angry frown.

“Now what was that all ‘bout? That ain’t any way ta treat our kid.”

“No more lessons for her. She’s not allowed in here anymore, is that understood?”

“No, it’s not. Will ya please start at the beginning? I’m assumin’ somethin’ happened. Tell me what ya learned.”

“More than I thought possible.” Zenik started pacing the room. “I met with the troll. The one Zafinna recommended. She offered to assist with my experiments.”

“That’s good, isn’t it?”

“I ain’t so sure. This troll, she uses a different sort of magic. Something like shadow magic. She offered ta teach it ta me, said she saw potential. Possibilities, she said.”

“And?” Luzanne prompted. “What did ya answer?”

“I wasn’t convinced. I know a sales pitch when I hear one. But then she offered me a glimpse of the potential futures.” Zenik shook his head, eyes drifting to somewhere unfocused. “It was… somethin’, I tell ya that. Somethin.’”

Luzanne took his hand in hers. “What do ya mean by that?”

“She gave me a vision. More than one vision. Like a kaleidoscope of stuff that could happen. Some of ‘em had me poor and washed up. But a bunch of them, I was a big shot. Whisperin’ in the ears of trade princes, makin’ deals with demons ta do my biddin’. I could see the possibilities, Lu.”

She shook her head. “And how do ya know any of it was real? Seems like a convenient thing ta convince ya of what she wants.”

“Can’t explain it, but I know it was real. And not all of ‘em involved workin’ with her, either.”

“So ya turned her down?”

“Ya betcha.” He laughed. “Ya think I’m gonna be obliged ta listen to a troll? I make my own way. She made a mistake, showin’ me how ta succeed without her.”

“Soo…” Luzanne raised an eyebrow. “If ya learned all this, why yell at Ren?”

His visage darkened once again. “There was somethin’ else I saw. Popped up in multiple different ways. But all of ‘em involved her turnin’ on me.”

Luzanne shook her head. “She wouldn’t turn on ya.”

“I saw it, Lu. I saw her attackin’ me, castin’ a spell, tryin’ ta kill me.”

“But it was jus’ a possibility.”

“One I’m gonna make sure never happens. Ya ain’t ta teach her any more magic.”

“She’s the daughter of two spellcasters. S’gonna be hard for her not ta learn magic.”

His visage darkened. “Then I’ll make sure she won’t ever learn anythin’.”

Luzanne withdrew her hand. “What do you mean by that?”

“She’s young. A geas here, a spell form there, and she’ll never develop beyond where she is now.”

“You want ta experiment on our daughter.

“Ya’d prefer she grow up ta kill me?” Zenik scowled at her.

“Ya don’t know what side effects that will have!”

“Side effect is I ain’t gotta kill her. I’m doin’ it for her own good.”

“Your own good.”

“Listen, Lu, ya gonna side with my future death? I’m lookin’ for a solution here that keeps both of us alive. Plenty of folks grow up without magic, Renzly will be fine. Your sister is fine, ain’t she? Deadly enough with jus’ her blades.”

“She never had the talent ta begin with. She didn’t have it taken away.”

“As I said, Renzly’s young. She’ll find somethin’ else ta be good at. I’ll start makin’ plans tomorrow. I need ta write down what I saw before it fades ‘way.”

“And if I don’t agree?”

“I’m the one in charge here. The one who saw the visions. From here on out, what I say goes.”

(2/10)

1 Like

Luzanne walked the perimeter of an unseen line several times, waving Renzly to keep her distance. “The wards are still here. Not full strength but dangerous. We can’t pass. Maybe something very small, but not us.

“After all this time?”

“Zenik was a clever man. He tied his spells to outside sources whenever possible to save his own strength. Mana stones, animals, demons, even other people.”

“You think you can take them down?”

“Maybe.” She shook her head. “It will take time. Your father did not want either of us in his spaces. You most of all.”

“Yeah. I get that. Raoul said there was something set up that would kill me.”

Luzanne nodded. “I can see it reacting to you. Don’t get any closer.”

“Not intendin’ to. He was always paranoid about that.”

“He had reason to be. You did kill him, yes?”

Renzly shrugged. “Well… in a manner of speakin’. Ain’t gonna say I ain’t responsible for it.”

“I think I see…” Luzanne turned around a few times, her eyes faintly glowing. “Blood magic. Zenik’s work. The wards are drawing power from the wildlife. It would be easier with my necklace, but I can break the wards if we weaken the source.”

“So… and that means?”

Luzanne grinned, pointing at Renzly. “Time for you to use those blades.”

Renzly sighed. “That is what I’m good at, isn’t it? Just tell me what to kill…”

“You are good at many things. You can choose what to do.”

“As long as it ain’t magic, apparently.”

Luzanne shook her head. “I will craft a spell that will seek out the right animals.”

She set down her knapsack, fetching several different reagents. Renzly stayed put on her log, and watched her mother work. The mage worked soundlessly, presumably having adapted her spells to work without spoken components, though Renzly didn’t have a clue if she needed to speak or not.

At last she finished, offering Renzly a piece of amber-colored glass. “Hold this to your eye. It will show ya which animals have Zenik’s mark. Be careful. Take Tarnik with ya. I will stay here and prepare.”

“I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

(3/10)

1 Like

It was never a good thing when Zenik summoned Renzly to his study.

No one was allowed in his study since he’d kicked her out, and eventually her mother, a couple of years before. She snuck in once, only to be caught by a strange floating creature with multiple eyes. Zenik locked her in her room for three days afterward.

The few times she’d been allowed inside, it was so Zenik would make her drink something foul, or sit in some circle, or… or other things, her memory was fuzzy on the specifics. She’d get a headache even trying to remember. But she knew enough to know whatever Zenik wanted today wasn’t going to be pleasant, particularly since this time Luzanne wasn’t present. He’d never called her without Luzanne insisting on being there.

Today, he had her sitting in a chair on the side of the room while he drew a large circle in the center. The creepy demon with the many eyes floated nearby. They exchanged strange, garbled words she didn’t understand, and occasionally glanced her way.

“Whatcha sayin’? Whaddaya need me here for?”

“Don’t worry ‘bout what Bragdus and I are sayin’. Ain’t none of ya concern. But we’re gonna do a little experiment, okay, honey? If it works then I can let ya leave the house. Wouldn’t ya like that?”

“I could go to the city?” She was instantly interested, squirming in her seat. She knew better than to actually leave it. “Or ride one of the boats?”

“If it works. But ya have to do everything I say.”

“Okay, Poppa.”

Zenik picked up a knife from a counter, gleaming silver, with a groove cut along its edge. “I’m gonna need some of ya blood. It’s gonna sting, but no crying, understand? Hold out ya hand.”

She nodded and held out her hand. He grabbed it tightly, drawing the sharp edge along her palm, catching the blood carefully in the groove of the blade. She tensed but refused to make a noise or cry. She was told not to cry.

“Good girl. Now you’re going to help me summon a demon.”

“Like him?” She pointed to Bragdus, still looming in the dark corner, his many eyes glistening.

“You’re not strong enough for that. Just a little one. Next time I ask you a question, you say ‘Yes.’ Until then, don’t say anything or move from here.”

He turned his back on her, carefully carrying the dagger to the circle. He knelt down to the edges, filling in gaps of the design with Renzly’s blood. He nodded to himself, touching the edge of the circle with his cane.

Renzly used to love watching her mother complete a spell cast, watching the way her eyes glowed blue and her necklace’s mana stone would light up. The air had tingled with power. Her father’s eyes, however, glowed a bright green. The air didn’t tingle with excitement as much as emit a growing sense of weight of an impending something. The weight grew heavier on Renzly’s chest until she found it difficult to breathe. She dared not move from her chair even as she suffocated.

Then the something snapped. She let out a large gasp; it was as if all her breath had been yanked forcefully from her chest. She swayed in the chair, fighting against a sudden urge to sleep. If she went to sleep, she’d never know what demon her father had summoned.

A small creature with long ears and spindly limbs stood in the center of the circle. It looked at her curiously, tilting its head, before speaking some of the strange, garbled words her father had used earlier. Zenik immediately tapped the ground with his cane.

“Speak only to me,” he commanded, gaining the creature’s attention. He then spoke more strange words, another conversation Renzly couldn’t understand. The creature said a few things in reply. Zenik nodded and turned to Renzly. “Do you agree, Renzly?”

“Ah… yes, poppa.”

“Then the pact is made.”

Another swell of drowsiness washed over her. She couldn’t resist it, toppling over to the floor with a thud. She was barely aware of the study door opening with a strange crack of energy.

“Zenik, what are ya doing- Renzly!” Luzanne dashed inside, cradling her daughter’s limp form. “You’ve gone too far, Zenik, she’s out cold.”

“She’ll survive. I only used her to summon an imp.”

“An imp?” Her eyes took in the summoning circle and the creature sitting in the center. “You bound her to an imp?”

“What was I s’posed ta do? I can’t have her wanderin’ off on her own. Now we got an imp that’ll protect her but only answer to me. And it was a good test of some of the techniques Bragdus and I have been workin’ on, tyin’ spells up in people’s own power.”

“What didja do? I told ya no more geasa! You already forbid her from learning magic!”

“We gotta be certain, Lu. Now she’ll never be able ta cast a spell. ‘Tween that and havin’ Tarnik watchin’ her, we ain’t gotta worry about it anymore.”

“Ya ain’t gotta worry, ya mean.” Luzanne picked her daughter up in her arms. The mana gem in her necklace crackled faintly as it brushed against the girl’s skin. “I don’t care what those visions of yours say, or how accurate ya think they’ve been, I’d rather have faith in our daughter. And if ya try somethin’ like this again, she ain’t the spellcaster ya gotta worry about.”

“Don’t threaten me, Lu. I can make sure ya ain’t ever cast another spell, either.”

“I can say whatever I like.” Luzanne defiantly carried the small girl away. “And keep that imp away from our daughter!”

(4/10)

1 Like

“All right, Tarnik, stay close.”

The imp clambered to his usual perch on Renzly’s shoulder as she surveyed the area, a glass held up before her eye. The whole jungle was tinted orange but just to the edge of a clearing there was a dark, swirling pattern. She looked again without the glass. Nothing. Nothing was there.

The cat prints. Of course. A creature with enough life force to power a spell and unlikely to have been killed. “It’s a prowler. He ain’t makin’ it easy, is he, Tarnik?”

The imp chattered something in Demonic; he wasn’t allowed to speak to her in Common, and she wasn’t able to speak Demonic, but they’d learned to understand each other over the past few years. She gathered it was something along the lines of, “You’re telling me!”

“So far, it ain’t caught wind of us. We get a moment of surprise, can take it out quickly. Otherwise, I’m gonna need ya ta distract it. Let’s circle around to that tree over there.”

Renzly carefully made her way to the other side of the clearing, checking the looking glass every few feet to make sure that the prowler hadn’t moved or noticed their approach. She still couldn’t see it, but the black swirls remained stationary. Just a little closer…

The wind shifted. She froze, looking once more through the glass. The swirl was gone. She turned, searching the direction it most likely went. There! The swirl. Much larger now.

Her eyes widened as the entire panther became visible. It was larger than any other prowler she’d come across, and its eyes were a fel green. Splotchy patches of muted greens mottled its dark fur. Its claws, its very sharp looking claws, were splayed to maim as the cat launched itself directly at her.

The prowler landed in a pile of empty dirt as Renzly vanished, reappearing in a blur of shadows behind it, digging one of her daggers into its hindquarters. It roared in pain and turned to swipe at her, only to flinch away as a bloom of fire singed the side of its face. Tarnik taunted it, drawing the cat’s ire away from the goblin.

Renzly didn’t wrest her dagger free, instead using it to pull herself forward, jumping onto the prowler’s back. It bucked at her presence and she drove her other dagger into its chest, hoping she’d get a lung or major organ. She didn’t have a second chance, as the short fur didn’t provide anything for her to hold while the prowler angrily rolled over in its effort to reach its attacker. She kicked herself off and dove into a bush for cover. Pain seared into her back as four grooves were carved into her flesh.

The prowler growled, but a second strike didn’t follow. Renzly turned her head to see Tarnik once again driving the cat off with small balls of flame. The prowler, now limping from its hind leg and sporting a dark trail of blood pouring down its side, no longer seemed inclined for a fight, and it tried to slink away.

“Let it go, Tarnik!” Renzly called out. The imp paused, confused, but then complied. The prowler disappeared into the jungle. Renzly slowly climbed to her feet, wincing at her own wounds. “The thing’s losin’ a lot of blood and is poisoned. Ain’t gonna last long. All we gotta do is follow it.”

He nodded and resumed his perch on Renzly’s shoulder. She had resented the imp at first, her father’s watchdog, but now they were a team. Likely one of the few things that turned out to be a gift from her father, if only he’d known it.

It only took a few minutes of following the bloody trail before they found the prowler collapsed on its side, no longer breathing. Renzly held up the glass. The black swirl was still present, smaller, and centered around its heart. Well. It wasn’t the first time she’d have to collect something’s innards. With a resigned sigh, she sat down and cut open the beast’s chest, digging her hand in until she found the small, fel green stone embedded in the cat’s heart.

“Let’s take this back ta Ma. She can prolly do something with it. I’ve done my part.”

Tarnik bobbed his head and jumped back on Renzly’s shoulder. With a lurch, the imp transported both of them to the clearing where Luzanne waited for them.

(5/10)

1 Like

Renzly knew her job: to watch, remain unseen, and strike when the opportunity arose. She mostly liked the “remain unseen” part. However, this Waxworth fellow insisted that she be included in the meeting.

Really, all she needed to know was the specifics of her mission. The rest was irrelevant.

Zenik waved a hand to her, beckoning her forward. “And here is my daughter, Renzly. She will be carrying out the job.”

Nozzle Waxworth eyed her critically. He was fashionably dressed, sporting the latest cut of jacket from Kezan. She quickly noted the silver Tallowit ring hidden among the many bits of jewelry adorning his fingers.

“I gotta say, I imagined somethin’ a bit different when I pictured a femme fatale,” he drawled. “A bit scrawny, aren’t ya?”

She gave him a piercing glare. “Ya’ve definitely got the wrong picture. Ya want a busty babe, go visit Gallywix. Want someone ta sneak somewhere unseen? I’m ya gal.”

Zenik held up a hand to forestall any further argument. “I promise ya, Renzly is more than capable of taking care of the request.”

“Remember, I jus’ need him incapacitated. Not dead. Not yet.”

“Not until you’ve had time to consolidate your holdings. We understand.” Zenik smiled reassuringly. “And then, once your father is out of the picture, we can start putting pressure on the Goldwicks. They are your only major competitor.”

Waxworth laughed. “Gonna take more than a little pressure. Fezter Goldwick hates my father’s guts. He’d rather see his company run to the ground rather than sell it ta a Waxworth.”

“He doesn’t hate you, does he? Hmm? In fact, I suggest that ya start making Goldwick your best friend. And then when his company starts failing, why, ya offer ta help him…”

“Help him by buying out his assets? Please. He ain’t gonna fall for-”

“No.” Zenik interrupted firmly. “No. Ya are gonna help him. Earn his goodwill.”

“And why would I want to do that?”

Zenik smiled. “Ya might not be impressed with my daughter… but have you seen his?”

“The white-haired chick? Pretty enough I s’pose.”

“More than enough. You’re going to fall in love. Appeal to her father’s vanity. Once you’ve proven yourself, suggest merging forces. Much less fuss and cost than a hostile takeover. And once you’re in charge, well….” Zenik shrugged. “In-laws are just as easy to be rid of as fathers.”

“I like the way ya think, Silvertip. Glad I decided ta bring ya aboard.”

“I have a talent for seeing possibilities, and I see great ones in ya, Waxworth.”

“Damn straight ya do. Contact me when my father’s been dealt with.”

Renzly managed to wait until after Waxworth and his entourage left before rolling her eyes. “Next thing ya know, he’ll be claiming it was his idea ta marry the brat.”

“Who gets the credit doesn’t matter, as long as we get the gold.”

“Ya really think that plan is gonna work?”

“The Goldwicks have a strong business sense, but they’re still fools who retain their sentimentality. That’s why I went with Waxworth; he’s a fool, but he at least doesn’t pretend to be anything other than greedy.”

“No place for sentiments, huh?” She twirled her dagger around her fingers. “So, slow-acting poison, or a curse? Ma could prolly whip up a good curse.”

“No. Go with the poison.”

“It’ll be harder to administer.”

“You’re spending too much time with your mother. This will be a good chance to see how far your poison work has come.”

Renzly didn’t change her expression, continuing to fiddle with the blade. “Yeah. I gotcha, pop. Poison it is.”

He eyed her warily. “You are not to visit your mother.”

“I won’t.”

“Good. Now get on it. I have other work ta do.”

(6/10)

1 Like

Renzly stumbled as she and Tarnik appeared in the clearing. Luzanne turned, eyes widening in alarm as she spotted Renzly’s torn and bloody tunic.

“Don’t worry, Ma, just some scratches. I got a thingamajiggy for ya.”

Her mother imperiously signaled for her to sit down. She hissed as she peeled the leather from Renzly’s skin. After a few moments, Renzly felt the soft dabs of a cloth and the sting of a healing potion.

The dabbing paused. Luzanne’s finger traced a figure on the back of Renzly’s back, barely visible to the naked eye, and unnoticed by even Luzanne’s trained eye until that moment.

“Oh. Right. Forgot ta mention those to ya, didn’t I? Remember the mage I mentioned, Raoul? He did that ta me. Something-or-other marks of protection ta break Pop’s blood-control spells.”

“He must have been very skilled.”

“Yeah. Not really sure why he helped me, honestly. What kinda person just risks his life like that for nothin’?” She chuckled.

Luzanne gave Renzly’s shoulder a knowing squeeze. “Not everyone is like Zenik.”

“I know…. But in my experience, most are.” She cautiously flexed her muscles, testing the motion of her side muscles. “Hey, not bad. Picked up a career as a healer while doin’ all that extra learnin’’?”

That earned a light swat on her head. “Time to take down barriers, daughter.”

Renzly gave her the green stone; Luzanne nodded in approval. “This will make it easier.”

Luzanne set the stone on a rock and drew a few chalk lines and runes around it. With a deep breath, she smashed her palm down on the stone and it shattered into dust. She scooped up the green dust and headed back to the perimeter of the cave’s ward, sprinkling it into the air and drawing invisible symbols in the air.

To Renzly’s eyes, nothing happened, but she felt a tingle sweep over her skin. “What was that?”

“Ward falling down. It is safe for us now.” Luzanne didn’t wait, confidently strolling inside.

Renzly followed after her. Inside the cave, a sharp turn took them away from the outside light and into darkness, though a few places in the walls were notched for sconces. Luzanne snapped her fingers, summoning a ball of light in her hands. Renzly stayed a few steps behind.

“Are you okay?” Luzanne signed in concern.

“I’m fine. Keep going.”

“You don’t have to be here.”

“Yeah, I do. I just… didn’t think it would be this hard, coming back. The last time I saw ‘im was… was when he was punishin’ me for not killin’ Goldie. And then finally was rid of him, ya know? Jus’ easier ta never think ‘bout it.”

“I am with you. We will do this together.”

“Together.”

Soon, the pathway opened up into a larger cavern. A few bookshelves, filled with notes and odds and ends, were against a side of the wall. An overturned table still had a chair beside it.

However, Renzly’s eyes were immediately drawn to the center of the room. The roof had partially caved in, forming a large pile of rocks. There, his legs trapped crushed beneath stone, and arms outstretched, lay the dead body of Zenik Silvertip.

(7/10)

“Please, please, let me go…” the Goldwick girl pleaded once again. She struggled against her bindings, but they were too tight. Renzly had double-checked them herself before the girl had woken up. She was also blindfolded and unaware anyone other than the imp chattering next to her head was in the room, so Renzly wasn’t sure why the girl was bothering with begging.

She and Tarnik had been assigned to watch her while her father made some last-minute preparations. Zenik had not intended to do any memory experiments so soon, but the girl had accidentally stumbled upon him and Waxworth during an inconvenient conversation. Goldwick would be their first, unfortunately rushed, test experiment.

Tarnik tugged on the girl’s white hair, apparently amused at the way she flinched whenever he did so. Renzly herself was bored; she wasn’t some babysitter for a spoiled rich girl who couldn’t move, anyway. She was starting to debate hitting her over the head to get her to shut up, but her father wanted Goldie to be awake for the procedure.

At long last, the bulbous form of Zenik’s observer Bragdus entered the room. He set his many eyes on Tarnik and Renzly. “Begone. I will take over with Specimen Zero from here on out.”

“C’mon, Tarnik.” Renzly didn’t need to be told twice to leave. Her father and Bragdus would likely be consumed with wiping the girl’s memory for a few hours. Which meant no one would notice if she slipped away for the same amount of time.

“Take me home,” she instructed the imp. He nodded and climbed on her shoulder. Her stomach felt the familiar lurch as Tarnik transported them a large distance, back to their home in Brasswright.

She found Luzanne in the kitchen, busy stirring soup. A scarf was wrapped around her neck where she used to wear her necklace; she still didn’t like showing the scar, even to Renzly.

Luzanne set down the spoon to sign a question, “Does your father know you are here?”

“No. We’ve got an hour or so, I think. Have you made any progress?”

She shook her head. “I am still trapped here. The wards are strong. But I have something. Wait here.”

She disappeared from the kitchen, returning a few minutes later with a small box. She showed Renzly the contents: a small vial of blood, a blood-stained rag, and several pages of notes written in Luzanne’s neat script.

Luzanne pointed to the rag. “I snuck a sample of your father’s blood. This vial is me. Those papers are what I know of how he controls us. You should hide this someplace safe, just in case.”

“Ma… I can’t use this stuff. Ya know I can’t.”

“But maybe someday. Someday use it to free yourself. Or use it against him.”

“Free both of us.”

She patted Renzly’s head. “You don’t need me. He robbed you of your magic, but not your power. One day you will use that power. I believe this.”

(8/10)

His clothes clung uncomfortably against his skin in the humid air. Zenik had never much cared for Stranglethorn’s weather, nor the pervasiveness of the Steamwheedle Cartel’s presence. He had very few business contacts amongst the mob of goblins who made their home in the Bay, but they had confirmed what his scrying had told him. His daughter had been spotted in the city.

His attempts to scry her exact location failed, although he could tell she was at least in the vicinity. Tarnik was of little use; after surveilling the AAMS offices, the imp had returned, chattering in agitation and useless details. It was of no importance. Renzly was of his own blood and bound by his control.

That made it even more unsettling when he felt that connection break. It was inconceivable; not just any hedge wizard would have the skills and materials necessary. Not even death would have the same effect. She was alive, outside of his immediate vision, and dangerous.

Not dangerous by herself, of course. He had done everything in his power to make sure that Renzly was incapable of casting a spell and avoid the visions of her bringing his own demise. However, someone had broken his control over her, which meant that she must have had help. Help from someone who knew how to use blood magic and could use Renzly against him. It was vital that he regain control of that tool.

He’d decided to travel to Stranglethorn in hopes that proximity would improve the effectiveness of his scrying spells. A perusal of his notes reminded him of a small cave he’d used once before. He had set up the first of his perimeter wards when the thought occurred to him to make an extra ward against Renzly’s approach, on the chance that she remembered about the cave. He set the ward in place and grinned in satisfaction at the nasty surprise she’d receive.

He then went inside the cave to set up new scrying spells. A nagging sensation bothered him, but he dismissed it. There was always a nagging sensation of having forgotten something these days.

Zenik had always been fond of documenting his experiments and research; now those notes were proving to be crucial. The memory curse on the Goldwick girl had been a botched job, done in haste and rebounded upon himself when it broke, even a year later; his mistake mocked him every time he realized he was repeating himself. He scowled at the necessity of looking over his notes just to remember which scrying methods he’d already attempted.

All he’d learned so far was that something was masking Renzly’s signature. He sat next to his scrying bowl, contemplating his next move. He tapped the edge of his cane against the ground, summoning the imp he knew was nearby.

Tarnik immediately appeared by his side, his usual noisy self. “Master call? Go look for Little Miss again?”

“No, I have another task at the moment. Go collect some branches for a small fire. And this time don’t char so much of the wood first.”

“But Tarnik’s job is to watch Little Miss, always to-”

Zenik waved a hand imperiously at him. The imp reluctantly scuttled outside. Perhaps if he started searching for the Goldwick girl, she’d lead him to Renzly. His magic still lingered on her. He went to his notes, looking for the passage detailing Specimen Zero’s experiment.

“Master! Master!” Tarnik suddenly shouted from outside. “Not Little Miss!”

Zenik raised his head, frowning at the excited demon. “What trouble are you causing now?” He stood from his scrying bowl and went to investigate. Tarnik waited at the cave’s entrance, pointing excitedly to the side. A mere half-second later, a wave of ice shards came from that direction, slamming the imp into the cave wall.

He scowled and gripped his cane, activating the extra wards he’d placed upon it. Whoever was outside had managed to sneak past his wards. Wards, he now realized, he had forgotten to finish beyond the first perimeter. A figure stepped into the light streaming from outside, silhouetting the familiar form.

Renzly? Impossible! She stood confidently before him, wielding, of all things, a wand.

“How-” he managed to croak out before the blast of magic landed near his feet, or rather, near his cane. The shock- both physical and mental- caused him to lose his grip on its handle. It clattered on the ground.

The instinctive reaction to retrieve his cane overrode any further protests his brain had of, How? What is the meaning of this? Zenik snatched it off the ground moments before another blast of magic would have destroyed it. He threw his free hand across his face to protect his eyes from the kicked up dirt and stone.

Now was the time to begin reacting properly to a magical duel, no matter who his opponent couldn’t possibly be. Zenik summoned a shield of fel fire, not a moment too soon as he saw a dagger of ice aimed at his head dissolve in the flames. He raised the end of his cane to point at the intruder; the fel fire coalesced into a ball and shot itself at the cave entrance. He retreated deeper inside to where there was more room to maneuver.

Renzly expertly sidestepped and deflected the ball of flame. Zenik muttered a curse, preparing his own defense against another arcane attack as she raised the wand. The spell, however, wasn’t aimed at Zenik.

The arcane bolt soared above Zenik’s head. Chunks of rocks and dust rained down. He dodged the first few boulders, but the dust obscured his vision and a third rock slammed into his shoulder. Another weight crashed into his legs as he stumbled, crushing and pinning him to the ground as the world momentarily blacked out in a pained daze.

It had been barely a minute since the first attack, and Zenik found himself trapped underneath the rubble. His legs were completely crushed; he could feel his life’s blood oozing from his shattered appendages.

The intruder approached him in the settling dust, wand carefully aimed to defend herself. Her grip was the perfect, yet casual hold of someone long acquainted with a wand’s use. It was clear that this intruder could not be Renzly; there was no way she could have become so experienced without his notice. Impossible!

And yet the visions… the long-ago visions…

“Who the fel….” Zenik gasped. “Always thought…. dangerous… but not even possible…”

Renzly offered an idle shrug, the wand charging slowly with power even as she kept a careful distance. “Part of me tells me it’s the far better option to kill you right now,” she spoke with Renzly’s voice, if not in her usual manner of speech, “though the other is rather curious about so many things.”

Zenik groaned and raised his head slightly, subtly looking for where his cane had fallen, a plan coming to mind. If he could keep her speaking, distracted… he was normally opposed to using his own spilled blood to draw on for power, but he had little choice.

“Shame to… deny… one’s curiosity, isn’t it? Knowledge… power.” His cane was only an inch or so away from his fingers.

She shrugged once more. “I’m not really interested in power, truth be told. You’re a horrible old lout that’s preyed on young women for your own ends. I doubt I need to know much about the intricate details.” The wand flared.

Zenik’s fingers grasped around the tip of the cane in a desperate attempt-

And then the world went black a final time.

(9/10)

1 Like

Renzly froze, staring at the body. She’d seen plenty of death, of course, but this was… different. Luzanne, however, busied herself with searching what was left of Zenik’s bookshelves, picking up any stray notes or objects and placing them in her knapsack.

“He didn’t have much here.”

“No… ah. Raoul brought me his notes. The ones I gave you to decipher.”

“This is how he died. After so many years of fearing you would kill him.”

“I did… in a way. Raoul killed him. Shrunk himself to get past the barrier, then disguised himself as me ta surprise Pop.”

Luzanne chuckled darkly. “I hope Zenik was happy to have been right. And his soulstone?”

“Raoul said he destroyed it.”

“Pity. Might have been useful.” She finished searching the shelves and knelt beside Zenik’s body. “May still have some magic on him. He is very well preserved. More than I hoped.”

“Ya were hopin’ he’d be preserved?”

“This place is very humid. It was unlikely to find him in good condition. Zenik probably had a secondary preservation spell, just in case. ” She peered at the rocks. “Legs are a problem.”

“Ma, don’t tell me you’re thinkin’ ‘bout…”

Luzanne nodded at her. “Why not? He took advantage of us. Controlled you. Took my voice. Locked me away. Demanded we obey his vision of the future. But now… now we make him obey us.”

“How… would that… how is that even possible?”

“He was a warlock. I was his wife. I know his secrets. And I learned much more than just healing. Now help me clear this rubble.”

It took over an hour, even with Tarnik’s help, to free the body. Luzanne had been planning for just this, as she pulled out a tarp from her knapsack and rolled the body on top of it. She raised her hands in the familiar gesture to begin opening a portal but paused.

“Anything else you need from here?”

Renzly shook her head, still in a daze at Luzanne’s plan. “No… there’s nothing here I need.”

“Good.”

She opened the portal to a familiar landscape, and for the first time in years, all three members of the Silvertip family returned home.

(10/10… or 1/x?? :smirk: )

1 Like