Show Baine doing something fierce

Lest we forget.

:cactus:

3 Likes

Then clearly he didn’t think mak’gora was the morally right thing to do?

Nobody doubts that he’s sincere. He’s just not very heroic, in the fantasy adventure sense.

His MO is to quietly complain while going along with most of the stuff he disagrees with, and then sneakily intervene when he feels it has gone too far (specifically, when Jaina is threatened).

That’s why Blizzard needs to give him a truly bold, unequivocally ferocious moment that is just for the Horde. The guy looks like he could rip phonebooks in half. During the next pre-expac. event have some massive scourge-beast about to kill the orphanage or something, scattering all the troops in front of it, and then Baine steps up and literally tears its head off while bellowing “Loktar Ogar!” and rallying the Horde counterattack.

It would give him instant cred.

Edit: It’s no secret that I’m not a Baine fan. I think he’s lame. But I want to like him! I want to get onboard the Baine train! I’m saying what I think it would take to help make me a fan.

6 Likes

Because it wasn’t. It might of been the “Impressive” and “cool” thing for him to do. To You.
Doesn’t mean he thought it was the morally right or wisest course of action. Like I said, it probably would of been the stupidest and most useless thing he could of done. And we’ll be here lamenting how Baine the Fool threw his life away for a stunt that likely gave Sylvanas all the support she needed.

Honestly, I like the “Gentle Giant” aspect of his character. He has all this power that he can barely contain while having a even Bigger Heart. I don’t want him to lose that aspect.

Don’t fret. Anduin will ensure he remains a softy.

2 Likes

No way, AnduinXWrathion is definitively happening, baine only gets to watch, watch out guys this will be the casus belli of MoP 3.

1 Like

No, to me it would have been the impressive, cool, AND morally right thing to do.

Maybe. But as it is, we’re talking about how Baine the Alliance Bootlicker cares more about Jaina Proudmoore than any of the other enormous red flags that came earlier in the expansion. Is that really better?

Baine may be consistent as a character, but he’s not inspiring to me. And frankly, I usually love shrewd planners who would prefer to find peaceful solutions but know when a line has been crossed. I’m just trying to think of a way to push Baine into a space where he actually works as that kind of character.

11 Likes

Would this count as ‘something fierce’?

4 Likes

Impossible. He doesn’t have a mean bone in his body.

He had one opportunity, in the Cataclysm. It was cut and in its place, Baine became an apologist for the enemy.

You’ll never get him being an actual Horde leader.

4 Likes

Agreed, at this point havin’ Baine do anythin’ “fierce” would be out-of-character for him. He’s pretty much reached the point of no return. He needs to just sit on his rump in Mulgore and hand out quests like he did in the old days.

And that’s a shame. Because there’s zero reason Baine couldn’t be a diplomatic leader with ties to the other side who wants peace… who will also completely and utterly destroy you if you directly seek harm his people.

Baine would be so much better if you took out the notorious quote from Cycles of Hatred and showed him making human pancakes out of the idiots who thought poking the 9 foot tall muscle cows was a great idea.

3 Likes

Careful. You could wind up with Mary Sue Baine who has every negative characteristic of Baine’s current portrayal, but also happens to oneshot iconic characters. Would you really like Baine if he’s ridiculously strong, but we only see it when he uses his strength to defend Anduin?

What we really need is for Baine to get into explicit, visible confrontation with the Alliance. Baine’s fought the Alliance in multiple battles, but it’s usually reserved to books or auto-attack background NPCs.

Baine needs a moment where the Horde is threatened and he goes toe-to-toe with some major Alliance characters. (Preferably a climatic cinematic.)

It’s fine for Baine to want world peace and personally like members of the Alliance. But we gotta know when push comes to shove - he’s on our side. The biggest criticism of his character is he personifies an olive branch when players really want war.

1 Like

Sure. I’ll pitch you one: Maiev goes on a vendetta and starts taking out Horde settlements. Maybe takes out an orc trading post or something. Baine tracks her, confronts her, and beats her down before she uses her warden powers to make her escape.

Edit: before Maiev fans freak out: A) it’s just a hypothetical; B) I picked her because she is one of the few Alliance characters who would be likely to attack Horde civilians AND is tough enough to provide an impressive foe for Baine. No one would be impressed if he beat down Sky Captain Rogers.

4 Likes

I’ve never known, what class is Baine lorewise? I’d love for him to step up. I’d love for the Tauren to get more screentime. There’s not much, in my opinion, in game that goes into the world / lore of the Tauren outside of the OG quests.

Limp noodle.

3 Likes

Bit late, but I’ll bring this up as many times as I have too.

Looking back, it’s rather telling that this was written and voiced, but cut from the game.

2 Likes

I can see why it was cut.

In theory, he’d be a warrior modeled after the old Tauren Chieftain hero unit from WC3. In practice, I’m not sure how he’d really be any different from a standard tauren warrior. The hero unit abilities were War Stomp (which all tauren have), Shockwave (which is a warrior talent), and Endurance Aura (+attack speed and maybe movement speed?). The ultimate was Reincarnation, which makes the unit respawn instantly - obviously that didn’t make it into WoW (certainly not for Cairne…).

Make Baine devour his rivals. Fierce I tell ya.

3 Likes

just knowing they went this far with the development…and didnt do it. god dammit, coulda made it a quest or a scenario. Poor baine

2 Likes