Should Shamans have another animal form?

Eh, I think this infringes a bit on druid class fantasy, they are all about shapeshifting afterall. Ghost wolf probably should’ve been spirit walk or something along those lines in the first place, tbh.

Still, I wouldnt mind glyphs for more different types of spirit animals (like we have spectral wolf and raptor currently), but im not sure additional ghost forms are even needed.

2 Likes

Like im sure 5-6 versions of druid travel form and 5-6 druid aquatic forms arent “needed” either.

Im necroing this super dead thread, change ghost wolf to something like “spirit walk.” The wolf isn’t fitting. You are about to drop an expansion, you could do it now, with ease. At least make a glyph for those of us that like the lore.

Yeah, that’s super necro…

Ghost Wolf does make sense - for Orcs. Shamans have two major aspects to the class. Communicating with spirits of nature (elementals/elements), and communicating with the spirits of their ancestors. That’s why a good number of our spells are “ancestral” or “astral” - they’re about communing with the astral plane and talking with those ancient spirits. In the case of Ghost Wolf or Feral Spirits, these are asking for aid from the spirits of ancient allies to carry you or fight for you. Those spirits who were closest to those who came before.

This is why we have Ancestral Spirit, Astral Recall, Ancestral Guidance, Ancestral Vision, Spiritwalker’s Grace, Astral Shift, and have had other Astral/Ancestral spells in the past.

At least that’s the lore as I’ve seen it. I do think it being the animals most closely associated with your character’s race makes more sense than everyone using wolves. As a Troll I’m in a relatively good spot thanks to Glyphs, since I can get Ghost Raptor and raptors for Feral Spirits.

It would be nice to have a glyph for Dwarves too. We can have Bear spirits for example, that would be awesome :smiley:

Shaman utilize the element of spirit within themselves to communicate with the elemental spirits whenever they “cast a spell.” This is the spirit responding and manifesting themselves in outside of the “spirit realm” to assist.

The element of spirit is the element of life itself.

The ghost wolf comes from the shaman calling upon the assistance of the Elemental Spirit of the Wilds (speculation is that there is only one of these for the entire cosmos representing all life and is capable of literally anything). This is what allows a shaman to summon ghost wolves and communicate with the spirits of their ancestors. If Blizzard didn’t absolutely screw up shamanism lore in Shadowlands I’d say that the ghost wolf form is pretty much the same thing as the Night Fae Soulshape in that it is the form of the shaman’s soul(as a spirit animal) swapping places with the physical body of the shaman in the material plane.

Either way they aren’t actually shapeshifting so all the ignorant druids need to piss off.