Should Runic Empowerment and Corruption be Entropic?

Question meaning, should Runic Empowerment for Frost and Runic Corruption for Unholy not completely random?

Here are step procedures of entropy:

1. If it is the first time you use Runic Power to restore your runes through RE and RC or you have not used Runic Power in the past N seconds, randomize the entropy from 0–99.
  2. Calculate chance to trigger RE or RC and add this integer to the entropy counter.
  3. If this is 100 or greater, you successfully restore your runes from RE or RC. Subtract 100 from the entropy counter. Otherwise you fail to restore your runes and the entropy counter doesn’t change.

Here are examples of entropy:

• If you are using Frost Strike which costs 25 Runic Power and Runic Empowerment has 2% chance to restore your most depleted rune per runic power, you have 50% chance to restore your most depleted rune. If you use your Frost Strike once and fail to restore your rune, your second Frost Strike will have 100% chance to restore your most depleted rune.
  • If you are using Epidemic which costs 30 Runic Power and Runic Corruption has 1.6% chance per runic power to give you Rune Regeneration Rate by 100% for 3 seconds, you have 48% chance to gain RC. If you use your Epidemic the first time and fails to grant you RC, your next Epidemic has 96% chance to grant you RC while DC would grant you 112% chance to grant you RC while carrying the remaining 12% for the next round of entropy.
  • If you are using Breath of Sindragosa which cost 16 Runic Power each tick and RE has 2% chance to restore your most depleted rune per runic power, you have 32% chance to restore your most depleted rune. If that tick fails and you’re not using any other RP abilities to accrue this entropy, you have 64% chance to restore your most depleted rune. If that tick fails again, you have 96% chance to restore your most depleted rune cumulating the chance to restore your runes for every time you fail to restore your runes for spending RP.

With this question in mind, this completely removes the pure RNG aspect of RP restoring your runes and not have an episode where your 3 Frost Strikes don’t restore your rune. Where entropy allows you to restore your most depleted rune for every exact 1 or 2 globals on Frost Strike.

1 Like

Is there not enough resources to where this would need to happen? And why do this to reduce RNG and not just go back to how the Rune System was initially designed?

2 Likes

Runes.

Good question. Really wonder why they streamlined the runes as a resource. Your guess is as good as mine.

I get infuriated whenever I fail to get a rune from using 3 Frost Strikes. I need to get Haste because of it. :L

1 Like

Haste. They wanted haste to have a purpose other than just increasing attack speed which is all that it really did because basically every DPS spec used Unholy Presence. Unholy Presence was like 50% haste when it came to your GCD and haste really didnt do anything else to the rest of the kit. It didnt reduce the time it took for runes to recharge from what I remember.

Sometimes you get strings of bad luck, but you would also get strings of good luck that should balance it out.

I dont know about anyone else but im just waiting for Wrath classic. 9.2 just kind of erked me. Horizon Zero Dawn story where the first ones left the automa to do their work and create afterlives which the shadowlands is supposed to be infinite in the first place, and Horizon Zero Dawn story is ancient humans made Gaia to create machines to basically recreate the world for humans to live in after the Faro robots went offline. Not only that but for some idiotic reason we have to face Anduin to learn about domination magic even though we have both Bolvar and Sylvanas right there with us. One was under its influence when she was killed by arthas and the other was wearing the crown that supposedly had the jailer talking to the wearer and its created from domination magic or some bs. Why dont we talk to them or have they just forgotten everything? The only thing in 9.2 that seems cool are some of the tier set bonuses. SL just needs to be forgotten and made non-canon its so bad and it infuriates me so much.

Yea but… Is the string of good luck/bad luck necessary of a resource that supposed to work in a symbiotic way with the other? Runes are just objectively more valuable than RP and the fact that Frost Dks have PoF, GS, BoS have benefits from getting RP to feed your deeps to the point where spending your GCD on an RP just feels bad.

Recall that I have gripes with RP in general with the Dk class. Everything else is kind of secondary.

The other passive that is kind of entropic I could think of is Shadow Techniques.

1 Like

You are talking to the wrong person about RP in that it feels bad to spend. I think its absolutely fine and its value is still really high because it gives runes back even at a chance. If runes are objectively more valuable, then RP has a lot of value because it gives back the more valuable resource.

The big question you have though is should there be bad luck protection? I never really liked this form of the rune system that they kept taking away from. Blood Tap was there to help with this, ERW reset runes and gave RP, Horn of Winter gave RP as well. The Dk had all of these even for the other more straight forward rune system where it was spend runes and build rp, spend rp while runes are recharging.

Does it suck to get strings of bad luck? Absolutely. Its pretty much the reason why there has to be some kind of bad luck protection for KM. Just think if crits only had a 30% chance to proc KM. Just think of how absolutely horrible that would make 2h if they wouldnt have increased its proc chance per crit to over double that of DW with the initial crit.

But should there be bad luck protection… maybe? I think there are far more egregious things in WoW or even the DK class as a whole that I would put ahead of that. I dont see any downside in doing it in the way that you suggested other than a possible % nerf to everything just because of having more resources baseline. Remember, you have to get into the mind of Blizzard when looking at changes. If there is some kind of buff somewhere a nerf usually accompanies it unless its just massively behind. 5% however they will try to keep it there. 10% and they will leave buffs until the 5% point, 20% and they might just let it die because it has too many problems with it.

Its like they have a scale that they have to balance out. KM rank 2 was introduced and it tipped that scale to one side, so they nerfed Obliterate to balance it out. So when making suggestions thats how I look at it unless something is shown to be just massively behind and like 7-8 times out of 10 that thought process is correct in what Blizzard does.

But again, I dont see an issue with your suggestion. Its starting to get warm out today so its off to my shop to work more on my car. Gotta love when Hulk Hogan rips your timing belt to shreds. Thanks crappy belt manufactures.

2 Likes

Oh yea, I think KM is also entropic!

Huh, that would change my secondary priorities a bit.

KM does have protection to it because of it being based off of crits.

Im really just waiting for Wrath Classic though at this point though. Set in stone rune system, KM procs off of hits not crits, Rune Strike macro for each ability when tanking or pvp, straight forward and simple stats, more information given to the player, better story telling, content not forced on the player but people still wanted to do it, except jousting which I would say a lot of people couldnt actually get the hang of.

SL is just a means for me to play TBC at this point. I hate almost everything about it.

1 Like

I disagree on wotlk dk - I don’t see how having to macro an ability to your kit is good design. Dk balance was a mess at release, they were absurdly OP. Presences are praised now, but felt forced and really did need to be baked into specs. It was a “optimal in this scenario” button that felt bad if you forgot to hit it after dying.

I think dk would have been fine this xpac if we didn’t see such heavy handed changes in beta (frost) and first few weeks of nathria (unholy). Blood has always scaled well into late xpac and I’m legit looking forward to the final season of raiding for it.

WotLK did have a bunch of high points and the aesthetic of ice crown as a zone really did resonate through the whole xpac. I loved the story and vibe of the xpac, except for trial. DKs executed that in abilities and visual very well imho. I do get the desire to replay classic WotLK.

You didnt have to macro Rune Strike to other abilities and you could trigger it on its own button press if you wanted to… its just why would you when its off the GCD?

Presences in Wrath served more of a purpose than they do now and thats because every single spec could fill both roles of being a tank or a dps. Even if DPS specs used Unholy Presence and tanks used Frost Presence, there needed to be something that would make it so death knights could tank in any spec. You also needed tank stats. Prot warrior had defensive stance for tanking, Prot Pally had Righteous Fury? I think and druids had bear form.

So you didnt need to macro Rune Strike, and presences served a purpose through differentiating DPS and Tanks. After each spec got a singular role then presences didnt matter and could have been baked in with Cata.

I liked Trial, it led up to ICC and the Trial patch would be better than anything that SL has really brought into the game. They have just fixing what the playerbase said would be a problem in alpha. Through leveling how often did you run into the Jailer? Outside of a few times in Torghast its 0. The LK was popping up everywhere and if it wasnt him, it was his forces. You seen him in Borean Tundra when you did Last Rites. In Dragonblight you seen the Nerubian, Naxx and that front of the war, the Wrathgate. Howling Fjord you seen him within the first probably 30 minutes of gameplay and he turned Svala Sorrowgrave into a Val’kyr in Utgarde Pinnacle. Zul Drak. And Icecrown was the front lines.

I would play Wrath of the Lich King for 4 years before I would want to play 1 of Shadowlands.

Pure RNG outside of items/trinkets/etc is awful no matter how you slice it. It stifles player agency.

They could just make it so instead of “1% chance per runepower” you regenerate “1% of a rune per runepower spent”. (IE Deathcoil is 40, so you recharge 40% of a rune.). As for stuff like “Sudden Doom”, “Crimson Blood”, and “Killing Machine” those should all be tied to auto-attack critical strikes and be PPM-based with no hidden RNG or overlap. (ie 1PPM means your first auto-attack crit every minute procs it, and won’t waste a “charge” until its consumed or duration ends).

Just need to go back to WotLK and move forward from there. Nothing good came from Cata-onward regarding class design.

All classes were best when they weren’t split into arbitrary specs. Druid is the current problem child, because they just absolutely refuse to take anything away from their golden child since late-vanilla. Feral (cat) is the problem ultimately and much like 2H and Tank Shaman they should’ve got rid of it, but instead kept it to appease the most selfish players next to Rogue mains. There was no lore justification for “Cat spec” before WoW, much less female feral druids.

PPM isnt what it seems you think it is. While it does mean procs per minute, it is used to give a % through PPH.

PPH = (base weapon speed * PPM / 60) * 100

That will give you your % per hit (like KM in Wrath for example).

In Wrath from what I can find KM PPM was 5 and you would get 2.6 speed 1h weapons even though they were all agility based. So that would be (2.6*5 / 60) * 100 which would be 21.67% per auto. If you had no haste or icy talons or unholy presence or anything that increased attack speed, DW would get 46 attacks per minute which around 10 hits per minute would be KM procs. When its based on Crits however that drastically fell to about 3 procs per minute with 30% crit. Factor in Icy Talons which was like 30% attack speed and 5% haste I think from Improved Icy Talons, 15% attack speed from Unholy Presence and any haste on your gear you would increase the attacks per minute which would increase the number of KM procs would get. So that 5 PPM could result in like 15+ actual procs per minute.

It just really highlights the issue with crit based ppm.

I would rather nothing be tied to crit truthfully. Dont know why they went back to it with KM.

My thought is if you have to build in protection for your procs then there is something wrong with it. KM being based on crit now and needing built in protection tells me that something is wrong (it being based on crit) and it needs addressing.

If RE or RC needs built in protection as well, it too needs to be looked at and addressed.