Should Orcs rename Draenor/Outland with something from their own langauge?

You see Draenor is a name of the world given to it by the Draenei. And Blizzard just rolled with it since until recently the Orcs were just a niche race to pep up draenei and human stories with no identity of their own. Just like the Ogres and Arrakoa have a name from their races to give the planet they used to live on I believe fully the Orcs should do the same and since they are the most numerous race from the world they left behind taht also should become the official term for it. Given Outland would not just evaporate into dust and the Nether over time.

I always thought it was weird that it ended up being named by the Draenei and not named by it’s native denizens but I feel like renaming it now would go over as well as calling Thrall by ‘Go’el’ did.

If anything, they could rename it symbolically in the lore but I think it’s too far gone now.

5 Likes

Thrall literally means slave. Why supporting the humans who captured him and make him feel valid about it. Also since the two other satient races of the world have their own names already this feels like a huge missed opportunity. And that name is a remant of a time pre Draenei retcon when they weren’t Erdar but another origin race of Draenor.

Don’t entertain Erevien.

7 Likes

I mean yeah, I know this. But, renaming him meant virtually nothing in the grand scheme because he still goes by Thrall.

My point was that renaming Draenor at this point probably isn’t going to catch on. While I agree that it should be given an Orcish (or Ogrish etc.) name in a symbolic sense, renaming it at this point in a story context would seem redundant and confusing to audiences.

1 Like

You should be glad I stopped talking about bias.

Keeping the Draenei name gives the impression they have more right to settle it as their real home instead of Argus unlike the Orcs whom Blizzard pretends should stick to Azeroth despite Durotar being crap in all literal senses. We aren’t even trying to reverse the magic of the Sargeras scepter.

I agree. If you can blow up your planet and genocide half the population then by god you have a right to name that floating dumpster fire you made.

1 Like

We don’t know the Orc name of Draenor if I remember well.

3 Likes

They were apparently the only native draenor race who didn’t have a name for it. We know the ogres and arrakoa had their own unique name for draenor

6 Likes

Yes that is my entire point here. It makes no sense despite being the last race standing not having a real name for the place you used to live on.

2 Likes

I am sure there is some sort of name for the planet in Orcish and other native languages, we simply do not know it yet. It can just be a neat fact, it won’t change much about the lore.

It is important because everyone acts like Draenei hogged the naming rights back before the Legion found the Orcs to corrupt them.

It was probably a really goofy name and the Orcs just went with “Draenor” because it sounded better. Before Gul’dan…yknow.

Maybe everyone has their own name for it, but we just go by the one that Humans decided to use.

2 Likes

The true and original inhabitants of Draenor should be allowed to name it.

Let’s start using the Arrakoa name for Draenor.

2 Likes

Nothing’s stopping them.

No one is stopping the Chinese from using the Chinese name for Earth either. Every culture uses its own name for things.

well, the fact that most of them are dead kind of is stopping them. but i see you point.

Yep, we need an Orcish name for Draenor asap. Everytime I do ICC on Horde, I cringe when I hear Saurfang describe how his son was named after the Draenei name for the planet.

1 Like

Yeah, it didn’t have all of the heft they might have thought it would. Just sort of annoyed people. Even though “Thrall” has one more character to type out than Go’el, Go’el has one more syllable, and thus, is more work to say.

Ain’t nobody got time for extra syllables.

I don’t think it is really needed unless it comes up for some reason. Like if we learn the Orcs know the planets true name, but either forgot it or dare not utter it, because of some dark secret that even the Legion never learned about?

Personally, I think it gives Orcs a sort of rustic charm that they never considered calling the planet anything.

With that in mind, I wonder what Aggramar called it while he was helping to bring order to it. If I recall, he helped bring some balance to it between the Gronn and the Overgrowth. Long before the Draenei arrived. Did he have a name for it, I wonder?

3 Likes

They may not even know of the concept. I doubt that there was an Orc Eratosthenes

1 Like