Should i try melee?

for some odd reason in WoW i don’t play melee but in almost every other game that is my go to class.

i’ve mainly been playing casters all these years and was wondering if i should try my hand at melee. If so what would you suggest? im into like 2handed swords and what not. like arms but i think arms is mostly for PvP and fury is PvE. ret idc much for last i played a paladin it was just too damn slow for me tbh. only other thing i can think of is DK other then that not really into rogue types either. i don’t care much for stealthing around

My class fantasy for most games used to be rogue, and I do still have fun with my low level rogue alt, but I realize as I get older that my natural playstyle is better suited to ranged dps lol. That said, I’ve been playing around with warrior recently and that feels pretty fast and fun to me. But I’ve only tried the class trial and low level stuff, so I can’t speak too much on specs. :man_shrugging: (And I’m an aff lock main, so everything feels fast to me in comparison.)

Definitely try it.
I’m with you, in most games I prefer to be a melee character. In WoW I prefer to be ranged.

I think it’s to do with the camera POV. WoW has so much going on sometimes I like to be able to see the whole “arena”. Whereas in a game like League it’s much easier to focus on your character and the enemy as a melee, IMO.

My recommendation would be a traditional multi-spec melee.
That would be Warrior, Rogue, or DK.

Out of those 3 I’d go DK personally, but Rogue would be the least foreign, as Rogue and Mage are mobile specs, and Rogue is energy based meaning you’re not standing around waiting for your AA’s which is an issue I have with the slower melee specs. Ranged you’re always casting or doing something.

I was warrior in WoD, DK in legion, then been a lock since BFA. I just like how much more of the fight you can see from range. Definitely not saying melee was easier, but I didn’t really study raid mechanics too seriously as melee. Having said that, the chances of your health bar going from full to zero in a second are much much higher in melee.

Try everything.

For two-handed weapons, there’s a lot to be said for Monk (polearm/staff), or Fury Warrior (not just one, but 2 two-handed weapons). DK is also a valid option - my Unholy DK is a lot of fun to play (even if I haven’t played her for a while). A lot of people like Ret Pally, but I just don’t feel it. I do better in the open world as Prot.

My main these days is actually Enhance Shaman, which I find to be fun in combat.

Anyway, give them a try. Nothing to lose but a character slot.

Melee die a lot.

If you’re okay withthar

1 Like

It’s a bit more tedious being a melee dps, especially in mythic plus because chances are you’re going to be dodging things, but it does help you gain more dungeon knowledge.

On my sin rogue there’s plenty for me to do, I would go ahead and try melee

I did and I didn’t like it as dps . For some reason I’m fine tanking but melee dps is not fun - way to hard to see what’s going on!

Yeah, enhance was surprisingly fun for me. OP might try DH too, glaives aren’t 2h but they look cool.

Melee have more mechs , not just chill in the back

I mained a mage forever and then went DH when it came out and never looked back. It’s a different world up here, not always better, but i’m having fun.

Something about being the most mobile class in the game is just… chefs kiss

Fury can get pretty fast paced, although you need to stack some serious haste this xpac to get there (screw those prepatch nerfs, they were so unnecessary). If you like fast paced then that is my suggestion.

To me, melee combat in WoW is more engaging than spellcasting. But I like both. I didn’t realize it til I thought about it but I prefer melee.

As someone who played my Mage for a year in SL before I got into my alts I can say that melee is a pain in the azs. You have to pay attention to more stuff and you generally take more damage just by being close to trash and bosses. I’m fine at it now on my Rogue, doing 15-16s, but I do enjoy my Mage more. Partly because I’m more away from things.