Should I join a guild?

It’s been something that’s been on my mind for awhile now but I just haven’t been able to decide on it, like is their really much point in joining one? but if I did I’d probably join a social guild as I don’t want to go anywhere near mythics or raiding for personal reasons, so I was wondering if people with actual experience in guilds could give me advice on this topic and whether it would be worth it or not

yes.

its always worth it to make friends in the game, guilds work like making friends at school or work, you see the same people everyday you eventually become friends.

2 Likes

Finding the right guild is really hard, but when you do it’s awesome! Great for groups and learning new things. You’ll be friends till the end!

1 Like

Search for a large guild…upwards of 500+ members. You’ll have a lot more people to pool with to run stuff AND if you want the perks without the responsibility youre more likely to be left alone with a larger guild…and they are mostly very friendly overall.
Ive had nothing but good experiences with large guilds.

1 Like

I am seeing guilds my characters belong to calling off raiding. In Bfa most of the social guilds my characters belonged to died.

I wish devs would stop with the social engineering that is supposed to turn us all into hardcore elitist raiders. It’s doing awful things to the game.

2 Likes

Yeah I just requested to join a larger guild on my server using the guild finder thing so see how it goes they had about 250+ members if I remember correctly

1 Like

On busy servers I see lots of guilds looking for “exceptional” players to fill out their mythic raid team. I only see a few willing to accept casuals. My feeling is that there aren’t nearly enough exceptional players to go around.

A good guild feels like magic. It’s just a matter of finding people you vibe with.

Sadly the one I vibed with died recently so I’m in the same boat.

1 Like

I disagree with the dwarf in looking for social guild i would steer away from 250 or bigger guilds as you kinda get lost in the crowd most times and the “social” aspect is more between certain cliques on the guild. I also wouldn;t be so scared about mythic + dungeons or doing content with them like raiding a lot of people bond over mistakes and memories people make in them. My favorite time was in MoP - WoD in a small guild about 30-50 unique members 10 raiders in mop 15 in WoD and building friendships and laughs about inside jokes an stuff that happened. All in all finding a right guild is hard at times and might seem impossible to find the right group to jel with but once you find it you will love it.

Seems like the one I was a member of for a while had like 800 members…the other, I swear was closer to 1000.
The guy who ran it was really nice. Even had free guild repairs, lol. I made sure not to use it once I realized that was a thing. They pretty much just let me alone unless I wanted to run something with someone…or needed help myself.
Only reason I dropped them was because I wanted the guild bank space for my own stuff because I farm a lot and need the room.

1 Like

You have head heirloom, you tell me if it was worth it.

What!? No! quality =/= quantity, being in a cesspool guild with 500+ and nobody talks is almost the same as being guileless, look for guild recruitment in the forum of your realm, read what they can do for you and you for them, a lot of them will take you even if you just want to join for the social interaction.

But please, don’t join cesspool guilds, you are going end up hating guilds at the end.

I never really did anything in the guild lol family member invited me too it a couple years ago shortly before I had to quit due to personal reasons so

Guilds are nice.

Look more for how many people are online at the same time. I’ve seen mega guilds where no one logged on and smaller guilds were everyone was active. I’ve always had better luck requesting to join a guild than joining one that was spammed to me.

2 Likes

Agreed.
Had one guy who invited me to a guild…well, I said no thanks…so he proceeded to spam me over and over with it till I had to put him ignore. lol.

It doesn’t -hurt- to join a guild. You get some (very minor) perks and will have people to chat with while you’re doing whatever (although /join lookingforgroup also fills that latter role fairly well depending on how much use it gets as a global chat on your server).

But keep in mind that MOST guilds that are already established also have established cliques. That’s not really a “bad” thing, it’s natural human behavior, but it means you might not feel included by the core groups.

And if you’re not doing any real content with them, getting your foot in the door with cliques is basically impossible.

Point being, it doesn’t hurt to try, but you’re likely going to cycle through many guilds before you find one that you actually connect with a little bit.

Chances go up if you’re joining a Guild to be part of their regular raid team or something, but you’re not looking for that.

I personally don’t like having people tell me how I need to play, so generally I don’t care for guilds. The entire game is playable solo with queuing.

That said, I’m in a social guild on my alliance character and it’s a real delight. I don’t chat much, but it’s nice to get grats when you get achievements. Lol

If you do choose to do so, take time to sit on your Realm (consolidated or not) Forum. If there is not much activity, then make a post of your own, stating what content you are interested in and the general date/times of availability to play.

You might want to compose the above even if you never post. It helps GLs and Officers to determine if you would be a fit for their guild if you are very clear on what you are looking to get out of your gameplay experience.

Best wishes to you and your gaming journey! Making friends and learning things together is a great experience.

I’d never play without a guild. Most of my enjoyment in any game comes from the social contact. I enjoy hanging out with my guildmates, whether we’re doing group content together or not.

I’ve been in my quite casual, multi-game guild for 10 years. It’s a big guild, so I know that I’ll find guildies in any game I play and that the community feel and policies will be the same. It’s my gaming “home”.

That said, guilds aren’t for everyone. A lot of people don’t manage to find a good guild and end up sour on the whole concept. Or they just don’t have any interest in the social aspect.

I think it’s important to shop around. Think about what kind of people you want to hang out with, and try to find a guild with similar goals. If it doesn’t fit, leave and try another one.