Should I dust off my rogues, or is the class that bad in TWW?

To preface, I’m mainly a PvP player that extends into some low level M+ and Normal raiding.

I have three rogues, an Assassination, and Outlaw and a Sub rogue. Personally outlaw was my favorite to play. I was thinking of dusting them off to play, but I’m just hearing so much bad about Rogues in TWW. I don’t know much, I’m trying to wade through the many forum posts that complain about Rogue.

Could someone break down what’s wrong with Rogue right now? Is it worth playing?

Greetings.

I am your friendly neighborhood Rogue.

It depends upon entirely where you left off when playing Rogue. If you played at any point in DF then you know the ups and downs of all three specs for the most part. Of the three specs Sub I think is way ahead the other two specs in terms of new design paradigm with talents and hero talents for TWW.

Assassination and Outlaw are clunkier with respective class trees and both specs respectively really have big question marks regarding hero talents.

For PVP it comes down to how damage tuning is done post mid DF expansion CC changes. Similar to PVE, but with PVE there is the caveat that mechanics matter too.

Mechanically Sub and Assassination work fine for the most part. Outlaw is kind of out there because of the energy regen even when fully talented feels like quick sand without AR.

I personally have used arcane torrent and Blade Rush to fill in energy gaps so I haven’t noticed energy issues as much. But not everyone talents into Blade Rush or has access to arance torrent so you are basically playing in mud with the spec when AR isn’t up. Doesn’t make sense for a spec designed to fill every global with damage doing finishers or CP generators to progress CDR. Doesn’t help that mastery MG is undertuned in terms of damage and Blade Flurry cap.

Assassination has issues with its spec tree being too restrictive at the bottom of the talent tree and also having issues with hero talents working against how the spec flows. Fatebound RNG really throws a wrench into how the spec is supposed to flow and the CP generation isn’t there to off set the valleys of the RNG Fatebound design to reach those highs inbetween. Then, there is Deathstalker marks that has stealth requirement of Ambush which Assassination has issues with due to not being built around stealth windows. Plus, the spec benefits more form opening with Mutilate or Garrote rather than Ambush. Also, the loss of venom rush has caused the spec feel starved like Outlaw. But at least Outlaw has better CP generation and Adrenaline Rush to fall back upon.

Sub is very healthy from the mid expansion rework from DF and in terms of hero talents. I think from the point of view of trickster hero and deathstalker hero talents that Sub flows the best with those two hero talent trees. This is because for trickster Sub secret tech works better than Outlaw kspree in terms of overall design. And Sub can apply marks using shadow strike and shadow dance if I remember corectly.

Sub’s talent tree gives lots of options for different play styles which is severely lacking like Outlaw is stuck with the crackshot build variations. Sub also has the best utility/defensive options followed by Outlaw. And Assassination is lacking both in its own spec tree.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

Assassination Rogue is fun. I don’t touch the other two at the moment. Their gameplay loops aren’t smooth.

2 Likes