Should Hero Talents be cosmetic/class fantasy only?

I’m just amazed they advertise these things as a major expansion feature when the bulk of them no one is even going to notice because of tuning passes lol.

Probably. They’d be impossible to balance even for a team that’s good at balancing things, much less this one.

3 Likes

Devs shouldn’t mix player power and player fantasy, some players like the fantasy around several class skins or classes that were part of previous games like WC3 or characters like Sylvanas, Maiev…etc, meanwhile other players like the min/max value.

For example, I went to the SL Blizzcon announcement and most players were talking about the demo test and the previews like hogwarts houses, players liked the idea of being part of a specific covenant, then the alpha/beta hit the PTR and you only see guides about using 4 characters of the same class for each coveannt, so you could min/max if X/Y covenant was the best.

That lead to the whole “Pul the ripcord” request because Players wanted to min/max covenants for Arena, BG, Raid, M+…etc but Devs decided to do this as a meaningful choice.

It’s covenants again for a lot of players.

Talents have always been class fantasy. I don’t even know how to respond to this. And everyone keeps constantly praising Artifact weapons from Legion, which were talent trees with player power.

No. It’s not. Like… not at all. Not… at all. I can’t even wrap my head around how “locked to covenant that isn’t class fantasy” translates to “able to constantly swap around talent points that are part of your class and spec.”

shakes head

Seriously mind boggling how you even made that jump.

2 Likes

Ultimately I guess we will see how the Hero Talent system works when Alpha and Beta hit. Right now people are doing knee-jerk reactions based on what some content creators are saying that play on their own worst fears.

Admittedly, Blizzard haven’t always had a great history of balancing systems but I guess we can only wait and see if what they are saying matches what they are doing.

Because talents were just a small effect, We’re talking about player perception when they heard something like “Dark Ranger”, there’s players that imagine a whole new set of changes beyond a couple of talents.

Continuing the discussion from What Should Cosmetic Glyphs Look Like? + Class Skins!:

Council thread about * What Should Cosmetic Glyphs Look Like? + Class Skins! back in 2022.

You’re thinking about only the talents…you need to read the room for a lot of players that like fantasy, that’s why there’s a lot of confusion and some players that don’t trust Blizzard balance, then they’re pushed to play a set of talents that´s the best but it’s not their fantasy.

1 Like

I played necrolord Affliction Warlock and that was suffering for class fantasy until I eventually broke and went night fae (only for pre-nerf Decimating Bolt+Drain Soul to come back briefly as a bug in Fated).

Only thing similar between covenants and hero talents is that they have a similar, linear layout as Soulbinds.

That said, cosmetics should be glyphs while talents provide power. In that line, we want more glyphs.

Patiently waiting to see which 8 tree previews they decide to grace us with. My bet is at least one is another druid.

Uh… no?? Talents are ALL of your player power.

What you just said isn’t player perception, it’s mind bogglingly incorrect information.

You do know that I addressed class skins, which have NOTHING to do with talent points, right?

Oh, so you didn’t read what I mentioned. Okay, look… you aren’t talking about talents here. You’re talking about something entirely separate.

The name of a talent tree is irrelevant to class skins if they ever do them.

I wasn’t talking about player power, I was talking about the class fantasy, what you see from a talent or another.

that’s the fear of a lot of players, that now they do hero talents and never class skins, a lot of players wanted class skins and they’re relating the names to that.

Then that’s on them and maybe they should focus on the actual talent system that’s being released and not something we all made up ourselves. There was never any hint that they’d have class skins anyway. Very few classes would be able to have them to begin with, so it was never something Blizz had ever considered, only that we started because of Velf Paladins.

That’s true, That was my point that some players consider this class fantasy instead of a new player power system due to the names, that’s the only hint for those players. That’s why I mentioned Covenants because those were perceive as Hogtwars houses, players talking about X/Y narrative with the previews and demo before considering the actual implementation that locked your character into one.

If Blizzard called these new talents something like Legendary Talents…or another weird name, the focus about drama from the playerbase will be just the balance.

Which is why I said that no one seems to be reading what these talent points are.

Basically they’re promising to keep the balance close.

The problem is many players have no faith in them being able to deliver on it. They’ve had a terrible track record, but also in all fairness to the devs this patch and 10.1-10.1.5 have found pretty good balance.

I will wait and see but I can’t blame anyone for having no faith.

No.

This wasn’t the problem of Shadowlands. It had many problems, but the mere existence of additional/new abilities wasn’t a downside, in fact that’s a positive we kinda have always expected from each expansion since TBC.

So… to summarize: no, and your comparison doesn’t make any sense.

Hoping they would give some spontaneity to the talents or the one to enhance them :crossed_fingers:

Is a couple of bonuses and maybe some extra spell effects, lets not pretend is a whole spec overhaul that creates a sub class.

People that care so much about a name can stick to the one they like, most people will just pick the best for what they are doing.

2 Likes

The mental gymnastics some of these people do is wild, isn’t it?

1 Like

I got Slytherin, as expected lol.

Well I main Preservation and like the Green Dragonflight and it’s fantasy sooo… :dracthyr_shrug:

Like I really don’t care the fantasy of Chronowarden and Ruby Adept do not interest me and I’m just gonna take whichever one makes a Green Build more viable in all content cause you know Blizzard can’t even do the bare minimum for that in Dragonflight by giving at least Dream Flight a percentage buff outside of Raid Groups.