Should Blizzard be make shorter raids

In them most recent Ion interview with wowcrendor Ion briefly talks about making shorter more frequent patches. There is an important distinction that Ion dose not make is "dose this mean more but shorter seasons? Was he talking about making more .5 type patches? Or is this stuff like what we got in MoP with Landfall and Escalation being non raid tier patches.

Regardless I wanted to bring up the topic of what people would like to see if Blizzard were looking to alter there formula they have established over the past 5 years. My questions for you all are as fallows:

1. Would you like to see shorter season?

2. Would you like to see more raids per expansion but have them be half the size and length of the current standard?

3. If you want shorter raids, what is the max number of bosses you think they should have?

4. Would you like to see changes to the pace at which players are able to gear in a given season?

5. Do you want to see non raid content patches?

6. Would you like to see more dungeons over the course of an expansion (like in Cata/ Legion)

7. Would you mind if the expansion released with half as may dungeons

I am interested to hear peoples perspectives. Even if you like the current system and rates of progression I would like to hear it so I can get some kind of sense of what kind of changes players would like to see VS what most of us are ok with as is.

8 bosses per raid feels like the perfect size.

Wouldn’t want anything smaller than that.

4 Likes

1 yes 3 months per season
2 50/50
3 no less then 5 would be good
4 yes but not to easy
5 50/50
6 if not in hard mode at release then yes
7 no i would like more dungeons

1 Like

The problem with Blizzard’s patches is not that there aren’t enough of them, it is that they are inconsistent. If they came out with 4-6 really good quality content patches people would be just fine with the xpac (not talking about the sub patches that they do.

However, over the last two xpacs they have not only been inconsistent but the content has not been good.

As for raiding. There shouldn’t be a “season” for raiding. There should be 4-6 raid tiers (1 per patch) that follow the story. M+ and PVP are fine with seasons as they have zero impact on the actual content (story).

What blizzard should focus on is cleaning up their raids. All the annoying trash should be removed from them and they should focus on building mechanics that work with all classes/specs, not just with whatever the “meta” is.

Agreed. I feel like 8 is a “sweet spot” for raid bosses. Any lower than that and you feel like you’ve just blown through it, and anything higher and it starts to feel like a slog.

3 Likes

Not really. Raids are kind of… variable. Some folks will clear Heroic Day 1 and be done with Mythic in a month or so.

Some folks will take 6 months / a full patch to finish Heroic.

Some folks will never finish at all.

Longer seasons/patches gives more people more time to finish their progression without being pressured to move on to the next thing. That’s a good thing.

The only way I’d support shorter seasons is if it were happening because Blizzard has created so much content that they wouldn’t be able to fit it in if they didn’t shorten the seasons.

And we all know that would not be the case.

I’m mostly indifferent on this. I’m more interested in the boss fights themselves than where they take place.

Honestly fewer, larger raids is probably the more economical option, because they can re-use assets when designing the raid environment. More than they could if they split it up and had 3 different small raids, anyway.

So while I personally don’t really care, I guess I’d lean toward larger raids for that reason.

I want to see gearing (even just up to a Heroic raid level) go back to being a multi-month process. M+ has destroyed gearing and turned it into something that can be (mostly) finished in a single no-life weekend if one desires. It’s not good for the game. We’re stuck in a patch for a long period of time, gear is a huge motivating factor for many people, rushing through the bulk of that process as we do in modern WoW is detrimental.

Basically, I feel fast gearing = fast loss of interest, but then there’s still so much time left before anything new comes. Slow it down. Make it a little more deterministic at the same time so it doesn’t feel horrible, but slow it down nonetheless.

Mostly on the M+ end, not Raid end.

If its what they have to do to find the time to make new dungeons that aren’t the 1 megadungeon per expansion, then yeah, sure. Otherwise, if its just questlines and such? Nah. They should be able to work that stuff in alongside major instanced content. It’s the most basic thing they could possibly add.

Ah, got ahead of myself I guess.
Yes.

DF is already effectively doing this by deliberately staggering which ones are available in M+, and I think its awful. 4 Dungeons is pathetic.

1 Like

I feel there are times where Blizzard is stretching to check off a number of boxes to fill up a content patch. They worry about the quantity and time frame that content will be consumed in. I think this lead to some less then desirable directional choices. That is why I asked the above questions. I am curious to see what the minimums and maximums are that player accept. I think a change in structure has as much potential to help WoW as it has to hurt it.

raids should be epic in size, i don’t think that philosophy should change in favor of esports pve.

A very reasonable perspective. This is sort of why I wanted to ask out what people though about having shorter raids. The idea they could run with is that making the raids shorter would mean less time investment within a season and thus giving the wider array of people with less time to play a better chance to see the end of the raid before a seasons end. Again that is just an idea. I think by talking about this stuff we can get a better idea of were Blizzard should draw the line in terms of changes to seasonal progression and when and were they should focus there efforts.

With the current formula I think you are 100% right. The guild I joined early SL normally cleared AOTC in SoD and SoF around week 18. If they keep the 10 boss raids shorter seasons is probably not a great idea.

We don’t need 10 or even 8 bosses every tier. We’ve had tiers with less.

WoW simply needs more content. We should be getting new stuff to do every patch.

Yes. Dragonflight should launch with all of the new dungeons available for M+. But they’re only giving us half. This is a mistake they will regret later.

Yes. Gear should be falling from the sky. WoW will continue to lose people if this is not changed. Stop with the carrot on a stick. Then they could focus on giving us more stuff to do.

Yes

I want them to make shorter boss fights and less trash in the raids. The amount of bosses is okay for me but I wouldn’t mind more raids!

1 Like