Shopping for a Smart TV

I know this is not gaming related but it is tech related, anyway I’m in the neighborhood for a Smart TV to replace my Visio 32" flat screen (non smart tv).

I’m interested in the 55" Samsung. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to avoid or any gotchas with these? I figured 55" is the max I can do with the current space I have.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-7-series-4k-uhd-tv-smart-led-with-hdr/6401735.p?skuId=6401735

Get yourself an Android TV

Not sure what steaming services you use, but whatever apps you use if you have an Android phone, it’s also on the Android TV as it has a Google Play store. They have twitch app for Android TV, Disney+, Netflix, etc etc if you do stream stuff

Currently use a 43 inch Philips Android TV and I will never go back to a regular smart TV.

Only three brands that’s decent is Philips, TCL and Sony, with Sony being the better choice if you got the money

The Philips Android TV is like $320 or so at 55 inch but only at Walmart

There’s a variety of Sony Android TVs you can get at Best Buy so it’s more of a preference of what you like

Theres also TCLs at best buy too if you wanted to go cheaper, about equal quality with Walmarts Philips brand, some TVs better quality.

Theres also Hisense Android TVs but I recommend you don’t buy their brand as they’re not the greatest vs the rest of the brands

Overall, get an Android TV, you’ll never look back

Rtings .com rates TVs and not with Cherry picked units some reviewers may get. Of course low priced units are usually not that great to begin with

2 Likes

I have a Sony 75" X900F and yeah, its Android is pretty vanilla, no skin or anything. Has some tracking crap, but it’s easily disabled.

That said, I use it mostly as a dumb TV, with an Apple TV 4K filling the “smart” role simply because it’s so much more smooth. Android on the X900F is usable but it feels like it’s running on an Android phone from 2014, with bits of lag, frame dropping, and general slowness. By comparison the ATV is like lightning.

1 Like

What year model is it?

The older Sony Android TVs had that problem, not because of the Android os because Sony had some minor flaws in some of their older models

My dad previously had a 2017 65 inch, can’t remember the model but I know it’s a Bravia something. It was ok at first for awhile then it also became meh over time

So I helped him pay for a 2019 model sometime last year, Sony 85 inch 8K model, Master something, can’t remember the model but when I saw it turned on the first time I was amazed, so much smoother than his Bravia brand Sony TV

The Android os on that TV improved between his 2017 TV and this

For an $8000 TV it better be good and it was good

X900F series is their 2018 line, not old at all. Online specs list it as having a quad core 1.1Ghz MediaTek MT5891 w/2GB of RAM and 16GB eMMC storage. Like I said, Android on it is useable but it’s not always fluid and it’s noticeably more pokey than a decent external box (by comparison, the ATV4K uses a 2.38Ghz hex-core A10X Fusion w/3GB of RAM and 32GB SSD storage).

As for an $8k TV, yeesh, for that price the thing should make breakfast and clean the house for me.

2 Likes

I’ve got the 2019 55” Samsung Q80R but I’m using it primarily as a monitor. I’ve played with the smart tv features a little and they’re ok (it’s Samsung’s priority system) but I didn’t use them extensively to really test them out.

For my smart tv needs I usually use either an Apple TV routed through my AVR to my projector or just use my iPad mirrored to the Apple TV (very handy feature.)

I’ve never used an Android TV device myself, so I can’t comment on those.

1 Like

Thanks all, Hubby and I ended up with

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/qled-4k-tvs/65-class-q60t-qled-4k-uhd-hdr-smart-tv-2020-qn65q60tafxza/1

We also bought the sound bar too . The sounds and picture is incredible

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/home-theater/sound-bars/hw-q70t-soundbar-with-dolby-atmos-hw-q70t-za/

1 Like

This is what I was going to recommend. Rtings is a great site if you are looking to buy a TV or computer monitor- they rate products on a lot of different levels.