Shiny Pet Charms... useless?

Hello.

Im here asking for the actual use of this items. In Legion they were useful to buy some pets and a few other items related to level up pets.

Right now even the vendor in Legion Dalaran sells this leveling items for Polished Pet Charms and the previous ones became completely useless beside buying some very old pets from Draenor.

Is there a chance to bring back the value of those charms to actually buy something useful like the bags with random leveling items or the +25 level stones?

That could be great because doing Pet Battles for the leveling is kinda boring and pointless.

3 Likes

You can buy these with Polished Pet charms in Boralus. There is a somewhat “hidden” vendor in part of the city most people don’t visit.

I imagine there is a similar one Horde side.

1 Like

Unfortunately no. Blizzard, in their infinite wisdom, decided to make the Shiny Stones pretty much obsolete without much public warning. Regulars on this forum did find out and knew to spend all their Shinies before BfA. Otherwise yeah, Polished Pet Charms are the useful currency now.

This is a very auld argument. They decided to make SPC pretty much obsolete at the launch of BFA. It was signaled well in advance, but there are a lot of folks who were still blindsided by it.

At this point, it is what it is. I sell the occasional auld pet, but if you didn’t cash them in before BFA launched, you are stuck like Chuck. In the muck. With some ducks. Which really sucks. Because you are out of luck.

3 Likes

I recall Blizzard saying that a new Charm was coming up in BfA to be used on the new zones and all that. They never said that the old charms were going full useless.

Dont get me wrong, I used all my old Charms before BfA and got about 80 +20 level stones, like 300+ other random leveling stones and a lot of upgrade queality stones.

Still now I have again like 800 of those and I dont have anything to buy with them.

1 Like

I would disagree that it was done without warning. Players who were active at the time were well aware of it. If you were inactive at the time, that’s not their fault. It’s not like they are obligated to give a year’s advance warning about something like this.

2 Likes

Actually was rather poorly signaled. I try to keep up with news about upcoming XPacs and only way I was warned was being fairly active on this forum, and warcraftpets . com.

2 Likes

shrugs It’s right there in the pre-patch notes. I wasn’t particularly active in either the forums, discord, or anything, but I always scan patch notes for pet changes. Beyond putting it in the pre-patch notes, I’m not sure what else they were supposed to do?

Still, the point is not if it was announced or not. The point is that the currency is useless and it could have some kind of use even with the new one around.

I think that Draenor/Legion vendors should have some kind of leveling items for sell in exchange for the Shiny Pet Charms.

2 Likes

Would you please show us where this change was referenced in the patch or prepatch notes?

Looking at the official patch notes here:

I see no reference to the pet charm changes.

The changes were mentioned in one blue post buried in the beta forums, but even reading that left me believing the changes would take place at the beginning of BfA, not a month or so before, during Legion.

Right there, at the bottom of the list.

ETA: The reason you won’t find it on the official forums is:

1. The extended notes for the pre-patch on the forums were on the legacy forums, which are now almost 100% defunct. If you go back through the Dev twitter all the way to when they were working on the BfA pre-patch, almost all their forum links are dead. This is the link where they specifically said they were discussing pet changes on the forums, and it doesn’t work: https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/status/999801175212933120

2. Most of the in development forums get wiped when a new patch comes out, iirc. Which means you’ll probably only find the full notes on third party sites. However, WoWHead didn’t datamine the patch notes. The ones you see on the link there were the ones they pulled directly from the notes Blizzard posted on the forums when the legacy forums were still up.

they’re not 100 pct useless. theres like 3-4 pets you can buy with them in your garrison in WoD.

1 Like

The problem is, that list is not a blizzard post, it’s someone collecting information found in a bunch of places, and posted on a third party site that a lot of folks avoid because of a history of ad-delivered malware.

I went through the archives at blizzardwatch and the best reference they have (https://blizzardwatch.com/2018/06/12/pet-collectors-get-ready-confusing-new-pet-charm-system-battle-azeroth/) is the aforementioned blue forum post (which they copied - as you noted, the actual forum post has been removed).

There’s still no evidence that it was mentioned in actual official patch notes. Academic at this point, of course.

1 Like

So… what if you purchased those pets 5 years ago when Warlords was current content?

They could sell bandages and leveling pet treats for those old charms and it could bring some WORLD in the Warcraft besides the current zones.

2 Likes

And - the blue post you mention - there was only one - was in the beta forums and never mentioned the charms available at the time would be rendered practically useless over a month before the new charms were even available.

Even our favourite green poster agreed Blizzard communication over this issue was sadly lacking.

Sadly he disappeared at the time of the last last batch of sackings, which was apparently Blizzard’s way of celebrating record profits.

They should not have switched them from the Warlord Charms

1 Like

Pet battle content does not become obsolete in the same way as player character questing and raids at the launch of a new expansion. Characters have an increase in maximum level. Pet battles do not.

I am not suggesting that battle pets should need to level up again. Rather, I’m suggesting that older pet battle content should not be completely thrown out via making older charms completely worthless.

Yes, we shouldn’t be buying new pets with the older charms. However, allowing the purchase of pet bandages, flawless battle training stones, marked flawless battlestones, mystery bags, and ultimate battle-training stones (perhaps at prices of 1.5 to 3 times the number of polished pet charms for the same items) would let players new to pet battles have something to do with their charms as they work their way through the pet battle content (which there are still other reasons to do… pet battle content is on obsolete… just the charms).

Asheli in Shadowmoon Valley remains an excellent way to level pets. There is always a crowd of people there when I log an alt over to do the daily. The crowd continues to rack up shiny pet charms (useless) because the pet experience from the trainer is useful.

3 Likes

At this late in the expansion, I wouldn’t be against a currency exchange. Shiny Pet Charms to Polished Pet Charms, at whatever exchange rate the devs deem fair.

3 Likes

I have been frustrated by this too, with about 1800 SPC left with nothing to spend them on.

I would like to think they would have implemented some sort of upscaling exchange programme - to change 25 SPC to 1 PPC for the next expansion use.

I’ve already had close to 3000 PPC during BFA but frustrates me that I can’t use the old ones :frowning:

2 Likes

It annoys me that they make these changes in all expansion levels instead of just the new level. Why?

1 Like