Shimmer and Ice Floes

-Shimmer does not break stuns and roots
-Ice Floes feels clunky to use

Which should I pick? Or not pick anything in DF?

It’s been a while since I’ve played frost, but one of the clunky things that I remembered about Ice Floes was that sometimes it wouldn’t activate right away and I’d start walking and cancel my cast.

My solution to that problem was to make myself a weakaura to alert me when it was active. In my case, I turned the edges of my screen blue. Then I just had to remember to not move while casting unless my screen was blue.

That being said, this feels like one of our only actual choices to make. I imagine that we’re still going to see a lot of required mobility in all encounters, so you’ll probably want to pick something, but this should hopefully come down to just personal preference.

1 Like

This ^^

I macro it with Frostbolt and it’s like Ice Floes takes a second to activate and then you can start casting while moving, not good when one need to react quickly in pvp. Clunky :confused:

The only way it works fine is macroing it with Blink or Ice Barrier.

Assuming you’re talking PvP here, in which case I have no input.

For PvE though, it’s all about preference. Most people and guides recommend Shimmer but I always found Ice Floes better to use as it was predictable and allowed for small movement. I’m pretty sure it’s also off the gcd so you can activate it just as you’re finishing your other cast so it’s ready to go.

Its off gcd and usable while casting, if you use it in the last 0.5s of a spell you can move then and the buff won’t get consumed.

The thing I always liked about the choice in the past is you could pick:

Shimmer (castable while casting but only 2 charges)
Ice Floes (gives you more 3 charges and a lot of flexibility during heavy movement)
Blink (gets you out of stuns/bonds, but not castable while casting).

You basically could pick the situation that worked best for your environment.

I know plenty of mages that swear by Ice Floes; however, I have always found it to be inconsistent/buggy and for that reason I use shimmer. I just wish there was a way to reduce the CD time for shimmer more since so many fights require an immense amount of movement.

I like Shimmer more than Ice Floes, but with so many stuns in pvp, Blink is too valuable. Every class except mage will have a stun in DF (I’m not couting Snowdrift since it’s so easy to counterplay).