Shifting Bug - Flight Form to Moonkin Form

Discovered an interesting bug today. Basically, if you are in Flight Form and you approach a mob and get into combat (while still in Flight Form), then attempt to shift from Flight Form into Moonkin Form, you will instead be shifted into Stag Form.

I tried this on two different druids: one was a level 75 Kul Tiran in Blade’s Edge Mountains (Shining Ridge area), and one was a level 110 Worgen in southern Suramar (Felsoul Advance area). Only Moonkin Form has this effect; I tested with Bear Form and Cat Form and they shifted properly.

Steps to recreate bug (thus far it has happened 100% of the time when following these steps; as you can imagine, it gets annoying when you’re questing):

1. Be in Flight Form.
  2. Fly near an enemy (does not matter if you get in combat while in flight or while “running” on the ground); make sure you get in combat before Step 3.
  3. Cast Moonkin Form.

The end result should be that you are put into Stag Form rather than Moonkin Form. It did not seem to matter how long I waited before casting Moonkin Form. I do have video of this if needed, but wasn’t sure if I was allowed to post a YouTube link or not.

EDIT: I have discovered that it may not necessarily be form-related, but rather may be related to items/spells not useable while flying. e.g. if you cast Cat or Bear Form while flying, it will transform you even if you’re in midair; Moonkin Form will give you the error message “You are in shapeshift form.”

Further testing has revealed that attempting to use items (e.g. random world items such as the Legion obelisks you must activate during “You’re Fired!” in Blade’s Edge, or bag items such as your Hearthstone) with the same prerequisites - namely, entering combat in Flight Form prior to using - results in the same thing happening; you go straight to Stag Form.

1 Like

I’m surprised to see there are no replies here. I’m finally getting around to leveling my druid and running into the same issue, exactly as stated by the OP.

Works for Cat/Bear, but not Moonkin. I spent a couple hours trying to figure out if it was some addon or macro gone haywire, to no avail.

I do however, believe it is specifically Moonkin Form related. Even if I make a macro that has only the line: “/use Moonkin Form”, I still get put into Stag form from Flight form if in combat.

Can confirm something isn’t working. If I fly in and try to get a drop on a target with moonfire or something (instant cast), it’d change from flight form to land travel form instead. If I try to change to moonkin from flight form while in combat, it also changes me into land travel form and forces me to waste a second for GCD to reset before I can change to moonkin or start attacking enemies.