Shift modifiers

Hello,

Is there anyway to get shift modifiers to work? When I bind them into a macro, and I press the shift key, it does show up “the tooltip of it”, but it will not work when I press it. UNLESS, I hold down the shift key and manually click it.

This seems bizarre. How do I fix this?

This macro works:

#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/cast [nomod:] CounterSpell
/use [modifier:alt] Alter Time
/cancelaura [modifier:alt] Alter Time
/cast [modifier:ctrl] Arcane Torrent
/cast [modifier:shift] Displacement

But, this one won’t:

#showtooltip!
/stopcasting
/cast [modifier:alt] Shifting Power
/ cast [modifier:ctrl] Glacial Spike
/cast [modifier:ctrl] Radiant Spark
/use [modifier:shift] Beacon to the Beyond
/use [nomod] Draconic Aspirant’s Badge of Ferocity

Yet, they both have the shift modifier. Only the latter one, it does show the icon for the trinket, but using it will not work, unless I click it.

And lastly, the num key macros bound to my mouse (num k1, k2, k3, k4, k6, k8) will lock up when pressed down with shift key (2, 4, 6, and 8 – two moves forward, 4 pans camera to the left, 6 pans camera to the right, and 8 moves backwards) if held down when shift is pressed down and shift key shortly released. What is causing this?

I have gone into keybinds but cannot find anything that is bound to moving left, right, forward or backward to those numkeys.

Please help. Driving me crazy , especially in PvP where rapid movements can lock up my character in a camera spin or moving forward/backward.

This is driving me insane.

The Technical Support forum is intended to provide troubleshooting assistance with issues related to connectivity or program crashes. Macros are not part of this forum’s scope.

You want the UI and Macros forum.

You most likely have a keybinding conflict. Keybindings that use modifiers will take priority over macros using them. By default shift-1 through shift-6 are set to action bar paging.

Windows is causing this. It sees shift + most numberpad options are other keys entirely, such as “Home” or arrow keys. You’ll see this if you try to set them as a keybind directly. You won’t get shift-num key, but whatever Windows translates it into. The only workarounds are to not use shift modifiers with the number pad, or to use your mouse’s software to reprogram those keys to something other than the number pad.

I disabled num key lock on my keyboard. Pressing the buttons:

8 – forward
4 – turn left
6 – turn right
2 – move backward

I cannot find these keybinds in wow. I need to disable these.

Edit:

The arrow keys also function with the num keys. Example, up arrow is 9, left is 4, etc. I unbound these keys and it fixed locking the character into movement when shift key is depressed.

I still need to find a way to macro shift into some macros. Mostly because pressing and holding the shift key will bring up “?” on some macros, but only the:

#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/cast [nomod:] CounterSpell
/use [modifier:alt] Alter Time
/cancelaura [modifier:alt] Alter Time
/cast [modifier:ctrl] Arcane Torrent
/cast [modifier:shift] Displacement

Works because I have no clue.

Your macros won’t work even if you unbind them because Windows is sending a completely different hardware event for those keys vs the numpad numbers.
0: insert
1: end
2: down
3: page down
4: left
6: right
7: home
8: up
9: page up

The only numpad keys you can bind that work with shift are:
5 / * - +
You may be able to circumvent this limitation with an external program like AutoHotkey, but use them at your own risk.

#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/cast [mod:ctrl] Arcane Torrent; [mod:shift,known:389713] Displacement; [mod:alt,known:342245] Alter Time; CounterSpell
/cancelaura [mod:alt] Alter Time
1 Like