Sharding 2.0

yah im typing too fast,lol, i meant that there wasn’t enough people to need another layer.

yah thats my thought, so hopefully if that the OPs stream he reports it, if not I hope that streamer reports it.

Not as simple a solution this time most likely:O)

Its an issue they’re aware of. It’s not supposed to work that way.

I mean, you have a point, but at the same time I think Blizzard tends to overthink things. Like, Diablo Immortals for example. Imagine how much less of a blow it would have been to the community if they opened saying.

“We have a new PC game in the works that we are really excited to share… but we don’t have anything to show you for now. However, check this mobile game coming to tide you over until then?”

Yeah, people would still complain but it wouldn’t have been nearly as bad.

I feel like stuff like this falls into the same situation. Yeah, they may not have a TON to share at this time but at least making a post saying

“Hey, Guys, we know that you are worried about the Sharding/Layering situation and we just want to say that it is absolutely not working as we are intending it to. We can’t share any details right now but we do know its an issue and are working on it.”

At the very least it lets people know that it is indeed not intended and that it is known.

Its the radio silence though that is unnerving because that is exactly what happened during the BFA beta when there was a ton of discussion on issues, issues that all made it to launch. The fact that nothing is being said on it at all really unnerves me.

Is it? I have seen no official Blizzard statements on this. If you have a source I would love to see it so we can spread the word.

2 Likes

If they’re not, they’ve been ignoring things being shoved in their face repeatedly in both Beta and Classic forums.

As for how it’s supposed to work, watch the Dev interviews.

oh my yes, the panel should have started with that for sure,lol.

You mean what J Allen Brack said he would have done if he had a do-over?

Sooooooo, kinda exactly what happened in the BFA beta forums which prompted Blizzard coming out and, once again, saying that they want to improve communications?

You gotta realize, with how poorly BFA transitioned from Beta to Live, with how poorly communication was and has been and the fact that Blizzard keeps saying they want to improve communication, this situation aligns with what they said they wanted to improve upon communication wise.

Logically, yeah I am sure they are aware of it I really doubt they arn’t aware of it. The fact that there is no confirmation on their part that this is unintended is whats unnerving considering their track record as of late and mirrors a lot of what happened with BFA Beta and the Beta Forums.

I get that this is not the Classic Beta Feedback forums but many of us here have played in the stress test and don’t have access to the official feedback forums to report this so we are stuck here.

Perhaps there is a post there that we can’t see but with how big of an issue this is its really where they should be making a statement, just like they did with enemy damage.

EXACTLY like that. Yes.

EDIT: Rofl, this was unintentional but look at that wall of communication XD

Yah and I hope they truly do learn, or continue to learn, just quicker :O)

Given how good they’ve been with other communication like the Elite Damage issue, the Dual PTR account stuff, and other informational posts like PVP content, its more likely that Layering is not working and they working on how to fix it. A blue confirmation might be nice, but its not going to change anything and people will just continue to rage because people rage in 2019.

A solution is probably a far further goal and they’ve outline how Layering is supposed to work quite well in the Dev interviews. What’s happening is clearly a bug because they told us you wouldn’t be jumping layers unless you grouped up. Since this is happening, either its a bug with Layering, or they haven’t finished it yet and sharding is continuing to kick in.

i still can’t post in the beta forum,lol.

Layering as described doesn’t seem to be enabled at all yet; what is in the game is sharding as we all know from BFA and Legion with what appears to be little to no differences.

Found it

See how much a blue post calmed everyone down.

1 Like

Oooooh! You are a real forum champion here!

See, I had not seen a recent blue post on this matter. The only one I saw was the November 2018 one.

Thanks for finding this, this will be calming for a lot of people.

Okay? I am kinda confused. Looking at the direct replies and first few past it seems to show it did calm a lot of people in that thread down.

Problem is that things like this slip through the cracks, for example I had no idea Bornakk even made this post which is why I asked if you had seen something I had not.

The responses that have seen it in said thread seem pretty happy to have communication like this though.

Anyway, thanks for sharing, time to start sharing this around more.

The video is obviously from my stream and confirms, if nothing else, that some sort of sharding is still in the game. It’s becoming pretty clear that Layering seems to be just a much larger version of sharding and is in its current state, not working as intended or described in recent interviews.

I do not believe that layering is not currently being noticed on the closed beta simply because there are not enough people in game to trigger a second layer as they are described. So this piece of evidence would suggest that sharding is still functioning in some capacity.

One thing that bothers me is that there are still very few people on the server, and in the particular area that we were in (Stonetalon Peak), there is likely not usually enough people to even trigger Sharding, which isn’t even supposed to be in this version of the game.

There have been several instances where weird things have happened. While I was on the stress test server, which had a max level of 5, I had a level 17 hunter run by me, who I was actually able to talk with and he told me that he was on the closed PVE Beta server.

I’m hoping that Blizzard acknowledges these clips and at the very least can give us a statement that it’s not working as desired and that it’s a work in progress. As it is right now, something is seriously wrong.

Alodar

2 Likes

Sounds like they’re not running ‘realms’ at all and we’re still getting the mono-realm infrastructure with all ‘realms’ created ad-hoc via sharding/layering. How on earth that the ‘bug’ with the level 17 hunter could even happen is beyond me if they were actually using any type of structured realms rather than emulated via software

1 Like

you mean like the above quote?

Report it when it happens and continue to make posts when it does is what we can do, either here or the beta forum, which not everyone from the beta is able to post in, or maybe just me :O)

1 Like

So is sharding a bug or not in the beta? It sounds like Blizzard had every intention of utilizing this feature and thus it’s in the game. Which shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone.

2 Likes

It is indeed not intended and is indeed a bug :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s really good to hear!

1 Like