Shard of the Fallen Star not scaling with spellpower

The item Shard of the Fallen Star from AQ40 used to be an iconic and fun pvp item back in the day because it scaled with spellpower to land large amounts of burst damage on your opponents as an instant cast. This is not the case with the item currently. I very luckily recieved this item in an AQ40 raid last night, and as of right now, the item deals the same base damage no matter if I have my spellpower gear equipped or not.

I know this is a bug for classic because you can clearly see in this video from 2006ish that the trinket is dealing over the base damage cap of 442. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay7RU0N-44Y&t=73s
At 1:13 you can make out shard of the fallen star dealing over 700 damage (in the very blurry combat log, sorry!), and for even higher amounts at other points in the video.

What might’ve happened is the trinket in classic is the post-nerf version of it. On wowhead it says the trinket was nerfed in patch 2.0 to not scale with spellpower, which is obviously not the patch we are on.

Same video, it hits for 475 here. The Paladin is wearing 8 pieces of T2, you can tell by the 8 piece bonus proccing from his Judgement in the combat log. The Warrior here is likely in Berserker stance which would account for the damage being more than the stated 400 to 442 on the trinket tooltip.

The reason it hit harder in the timestamp you linked is likely from the Berserking buff he had in battleground and he was casting it on a Warrior that was likely taking increased damage from Berserker stance and maybe Recklessness.

https://classic.wowhead.com/item=21891/shard-of-the-fallen-star#comments

From ThottbotBy junstar [on 2006/07/21] (Patch 1.11.2)

Subject: "NOT AFFECTED BY +DAMAGE GEAR"I just picked one up, have about ~420 +damage gear, and it hits for the same amount whether i have the gear on, or am naked. 6/18/06

1 Like

Not a bug. Working as intended. Close thread.

In the video in the OP, it looks like the paladin is buffed by Power Infusion (increased spell damage dealt by 20%), which would easily explain why the Shard was hitting for 487. Power Infusion works for things that don’t have any scaling coefficients, like Rogue Poisons.

If the Shard did scale in the video, it would have to be at some really weird scaling coefficient like 13% or something because the Paladin was wearing 400 spelldamage worth of gear.

From memory they nerfed this in vanilla to not scale as it was quite OP when it did. But take that with a grain of salt.

i dont remember when, but they nerfed it at some point, like many other items to not scaling with +sp, or +healing, i remember a dev comment about this trinket scaling (something about using it when fighting for AB Blacksmith )