Shaman Lore - How does it work

Hey all,
I made a similar post in the shaman forums, and I’m asking how exactly shaman work? I know we use the elements and spirits and all stuff but how is it all connected? The lore seems to change a lot, with cataclysm showing Thrall begging the elements for aid, but in legion we see in the shaman order hall “technique” and other methods being used to summon the elements. What is the current lore on how shamans work? How do shamans work on argus/shadowlands? How does enhancement fit into all this?

I’m not the best when it comes to lore, but I really enjoy class uniqueness and fantasy

Shamans have two “Superior” elements, Spirit and Decay.

The normal shaman uses Spirit, thanks to the element he is able to connect with the others and ask for their powers, it is a harmonious relationship. If you will, it is an equal exchange, the better the relationship, the more in favor of the elemental spirit the shaman is, the more he is able to do. This goes so far that in Cataclysm the Earth Spirit granted Thrall the power of the Earth Guardian for a brief moment. (Neltharions Power)

The shaman who surrenders to the powers of Decay becomes a dark shaman, corrupting and corrupting the elements, even enslaving them to use them.

1 Like

What exactly are you wanting to know?

Shaman are Spiritual members of their communities. In the lore they are able to connect with the Spirits of their ancestors, as well as Nature(elements). They do this through multiple different means based on the Shaman in question’s culture. However often times this is done with herbs and elixirs and yes Totems. Shaman with a much stronger connection can achieve this connection through their own will. Thrall “was” such a shaman but even he was limited in his power.

On the subject of Thrall and Cataclysm he was asked and he hoped the Elementals could answer. Though for “reasons” most ignored him until he finally got an answer from the Fire Lord himself.

Lore wise Shaman don’t technically have any power of their own. True Shaman don’t and I’ll get to the other later. Shaman use “calls” to ask for aid from the Elemental Spirits within a given area. This aid can consist of but is not limited to physical aid or a buff to the Shaman or their allies. This is where we get abilities such as Lightning Shield, Earth Shield, and even Water Shield.

For the more offensive aid, Shaman become conduits of the elemental in question. Using their physical body to allow the elemental’s power to flow. If the Shaman is weak the power is throttled and becomes ineffective. When the Shaman is strong more of the elemental’s power is able to be released. However that doesn’t mean all of it will be. The Shaman relies on the Elemental’s abilities as well as their own. If an Elemental doesn’t want to give you their power then you’re :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. Think of it like your internet connection and Bandwidth. Broadband Vs Dialup. You could have a supercomputer but if your conn is poor or of low quality it will still be slow and unresponsive. On the opposite side, it doesn’t matter if you have a perfect connection if your system can’t handle the incoming data. It is also possible to overload a cpu or server causing it to crash. This is what happened to a certain Dark Iron who tried to summon the Lord of Fire. He succeeded but was killed as a result.

Now most of the above applies to true Shaman. As Zahirwrite mentioned there is also something known as a Dark Shaman. These were seen more openly within Garrosh’s Dark Horde, however have existed in the lore for a long time just under a different name. We call them Mages and Warlocks. Decay is one way Dark Shaman force their influence and will on the elements. Another is Arcane and Fel.

Dark Shaman are a corrupt version of what a true Shaman is. In some ways they are more powerful as they don’t ask the Elements but force them. Many people wrongly believe that a Mage’s Water Elemental is just a mindless construct. However Lore tells us that is not the case. a Mage doesn’t create their Water elemental with their arcane power, they summon and enslave it. The ones Jaina used on Org cried out and were heard by Thrall. This isn’t the only way Mages are akin to Dark Shaman either. All of their elemental magic comes from the Elementals. They are just oblivious to it even with all their arcane intellect. That or they just think themselves so superior they don’t care.

You saw me mention Fel above and Warlocks are not free of blame. Not only were the first Orc Warlocks prior Shaman, but many Human Warlocks started out as Mages themselves. Fel uses soul (spirit) magic and have been seen trying to manipulate the Elements with Fel. Gul’dan from Warlords of Draenor is even part of a quest chain where he is trying to do this very thing. Had we not intervened he would have succeeded.

Be it a True Shaman or a Dark one, their power often depends on if there are elements or spirits in a given area to “call” and their respect of the shaman or their power. This is why Thrall said his power was diminished when he first stepped through the Dark portal to AU Draenor. This is because the Elementals there did not recognize him or respect him as a Shaman, let alone the “World Shaman”. This would be true of any planet or plane of existence.

Having never actually done Argus I can’t be sure if the planet even had any Elementals that may not have otherwise been corrupted by Fel and the Burning Legion. Though as Warlocks are technically able to summon and control(contract) Demons who are part of the Burning Legion I don’t see why Shaman couldn’t have also garnered the respect of even such Elements.

As for Shadowlands… Well, our Lore has kind of been neglected or forgotten. As Elementals get sent to the Elemental Plain it is unlikely any would be within the Shadowlands unless summoned or brought along somehow.

“Enhancement” is mostly a gameplay spec but in-game it is listed as:

It isn’t hard to believe that in the case of this version of Shaman, takes a more direct approach to combat. Instead of channeling an elemental’s power through their own body, they instead use a talesmen of sorts. In the case above it is with Totems and the shaman’s very weapon. Though he is currently speced as Elemental; in RP(lore) Doseki’s axe is such a talesmen(totem). Forged within the Elemental plan itself it is an example of balance within the elements. Forged with Earth from the earthen plain within the fires of the Firelands, tempered with water from the plain of water and sharpened with lighting from the plain of air.

Hope I’ve been able to answer your questions lad. If ye have any other questions, feel free to hit me up.

13 Likes

This pretty much answers all the basic questions I have, Shaman just has some very unique spells that don’t fit into the elemental theme (Hex, Ancestral Spirit, Astral Recall) I supposes these abilities are spirit-aided?

1 Like

Which is why I was so disappointed with the current expansion - when they put the navigating the Shadowlands to Death Knights, instead of Shamans. :frowning:

1 Like

Shamans have varying roles depending on the race, much like Priests, but think of them as spiritual advisors, diplomats, and guides. Through various mediums and use of reagents they negotiate with local elementals and spirits and in turn gain their power. This isn’t something that’s really touched on in modern WoW, sadly.

Culturally, Shaman are far more important to Horde races than Alliance ones because they fill those important roles. The better a Shaman is at diplomacy and empathy, the stronger they tend to be. To that end, many Shaman usually stay in one area, because in doing so they develop a relationship with the spirits of that area and can thus call on power more easily. In contrast, when visiting a new place, lorewise a Shaman would need to commune with the local elementals and spirits to wield more power there. Sometimes Shaman are skilled enough to have a minor elemental aid them in some way regardless of where they are.

Shaman can wield power of their own, of course, but that’s the result of reagents, totems, and training, and even then for bigger stuff they would still need to commune in some way. And elementals in different places are shaped by the various mortal cultures around them, as well as the land itself. The elementals of Pandaria, for example, are far more cooperative and friendly than the elementals of Northrend. To that end, a Shaman needs to adapt to those different mindsets as needed.

Unless you’re Thrall who is canonically liked by all five of the Great Spirits (the primal incarnations of Fire, Earth, Water, Air, and Life. These are different than the elemental lords) and can generally just do insane acts of Shamanism no matter where you are unless you get sad.

1 Like

It admittedly made more sense to give it to the death knights. Shamans are spiritual advisors, they use the ancestors as wisdom of the ancients bonus, but in no second does a “I teleport through the shadowlands” come to mind. Whereas the Death Knights already did this in their original WOTLK scenario.

… >_> “Not at all.” {Casually glances over to the Tauren Heritage Questline}

Though Shamans have had ties with the Shadowlands since classic, referenced in various quests - I mean, sure Death Knights being main mojo for it is cool - but it still seems rather lazy to not incorporate them at all.

Especially since ‘Shadows Rising’ heavily implemented the Shaman gathering together due to the disturbance in the spiritual plane they all felt.

1 Like

What I would have found better is if the shamans are the navigators for the Inbetween, where normally the connection from the Arbiter is able to do that, now you need a replacement.

The inbetween as a boundless large area, in which one can navigate only with certain abilities, so would get " seer " a special new meaning, besides Deathknights would open the portals then after the shamans made the locations, it would have been a good cooperation with both sides that get a position to shine

1 Like

Yeah I was hoping a conjoined effort would’ve been done - but nope, they just went “DK go BRRRRRRR” lol

1 Like

I just now thought of this but Shamanism seems to work a lot like the force from Star Wars. With the Jedi(good shaman) being respectful and a pure conduit for its energy, and the Sith(dark shaman) lusting for power and using the force in a dark way with major drawbacks. Of course both have things unique to their respective universes, I just thought it was a fun connection.

2 Likes

BEST and most Detailed and correct explanation I’ve ever read. Thank you. Most people dont know what they are talking about and think shamans simply are beggers… Not the case. Shamans use spirit/chi to sooth and borrow power BUT can also FORCE power with decay if a shaman is being ignored and NEEDS the power

1 Like

I wonder if shaman lore is going to be expanded and further looked at with the primalist raid being the focus of dragonflights launch.

I’m sorry I hadn’t gotten back to you sooner on this one. You could say that they are as they don’t use elemental magic to utilize. Hex uses a darker type of magic and may lead more to arcane as it works similarly to a Mage’s Sheeping ability where they basically transfigure their target into something else. Frogs are a common trope as seen with the fable “Princess and the Frog” where in a Prince was Hexed/cursed to be a frog. Thus why the Original Hex ability turned the target into a frog until they added glyphs.

For Ancestral Spirit the shaman basically travels – typically mentally – to the afterlife to commune with their spirit of the deceased and implores them to return to their body. It’s a form of Necromancy as all resurrection spells are. Because they “convince” the spirit back willingly the connection isn’t as broken as with Forced resurrections.

Astral recall is basically the Shaman yanking their body and spirit back to a former location. There is a reason it works like a hearth Stone and sends you back to the same location.

I guess you could say that yes. Very interesting observation.

I’ve had years of Practice. Also I love Shaman Lore.