Shaman 4th spec discussion

Ever since shamans were given to both factions in BC, shamans are compared more to druids than their old paladin nemesis. Unlike the paladin and druid, however, shamans were never given a tank spec. This, along with the fact that Enhancement at one point had several legitimate defense talents in its tree, has led to a decade-long discussion in the community over a potential 4th spec for shamans or a revamp of Enhancement into a tank spec such as Geomancer or Earthwarden.

Personally, I do not like when Blizzard takes a play style away, and so I am in favor of the fourth spec so that shamans can still be melee fighters, however there will be thematic consequences for the Enhancement tree. The Resto shaman heals with water, the Earthwarden tanks with earth, and the Elementalist roasts his enemies with fire and storm. Enhancement has always had heavy wind themes, but I feel like this steps on the Windwalker monks way to much and this would be a missed opportunity to bring a Runemaster spec into the game.

Runemasters are classified as mystics. They are essentially shamans but without totems who use runes instead, and these runes give them mastery over the elements. They have an arcane twang to them, tattooing themselves with magical runes, and their history is deeply rooted in tauren and dwarf heritage. As in tauren and dwarf shamans are probably more Runemaster than shaman. This is the perfect theme to revamp Enhancement into if a fourth tank spec is ever created. It’s new, it’s unique, it’s something the community has been asking for for a long time.

4 Likes

Enhancement was without a doubt planned to be a tank specialization in early development. Obviously so due to the thread generation bonuses from Earth Shock and Rockbiter, shield specialization, parry, lightning shield, a taunt totem, and other various tanklike totem effects. As to maintain a balance of roles between the two factions it would make sense to have Paladins and Shaman each have a DPS, a Tank, and a Healer spec.

If they ever create a fourth specialization for shaman it would without a doubt be Earthwarden.

11 Likes

no 4th spec. Let it go…

3 Likes

I still want a shaman tanking spec. I’ve always wanted that, and I think if they brought back 2H shaman and made it a slow heavy hitting Earth Themed tank it would work very well.

They would use 2H weapons like Blood DK’s do (Maces, and Axes like they used to) and have it based around Earthen armor, that reduces damage taken and when enemies hit them chunks fall off (they lose a charge) and shards fly into nearby enemies. (get hit, lose a charge and deal chip AoE damage)

I love Earth themed abilities but the game doesn’t have a lot of them for the Shaman. Earthquake is cool, Earth Shock is not. Enhancement has Earthen Spike, and Sundering which are cool, but Rockbiter isn’t cool. It doesn’t have an animation.

Enhancement has always been based around Windfury, and Stormstrike, so keeping it the way it is wouldn’t really be stepping on Windwalker’s toes.

But I think adding a tanking spec, with a 2H play style (I’ll even take DW if it’s easier for Blizz to implement from Enhance) that has a heavy emphasis on Earth themed abilities would be amazing. Like you said, in earlier days Shaman literally had a threat generating weapon enchant (rockbiter) a high aggro ability (frost Shock) and had defensive talents that would make them more tanky.

Everybody from day 1 has wanted a shaman tanking spec.

But it won’t happen. Blizz has enough trouble balancing the game with the 36 specs they have in the game as it is. And if you start adding in a 4th spec for one class, then you have to do it for everyone, and this would crank that number up to 46 minimum. 47 if you add a 3rd for DH, and 48 if you add a 5th for Druids.

That would be a lot more work for Blizz. Something a lot of people don’t have faith that they could handle.

Do I want 4th specs for each class? Yes. I have so many ideas that could be implemented for each class that the community has been asking for for years. I think it would liven up the play styles of each class, and cut down heavily on dungeon queues due to all the additional roles added to each class. (Ie. Warlock healer/tank, shaman tank Ect…) More tanks = less time in queue for dps.

2 Likes

Everything about all these posts… except Meadamemnon. I think he/she works for blizzard.

nope I just have common sense is all.

aw this is cute. you two should start a thread together.

1 Like

Shaman tank please. I’ll sub til the game truly dies. Promise.

3 Likes

Please just stop. There’s like 5 people who want shamans to tank…everyone else just wants some decent defensives for the specs that already exist.

1 Like

h ttps://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/2340787-give-chris-metzin-his-dream-shaman-tanking-spec

167 said yes, 49 said no. The ayes have it by a 2/3 majority. Shaman tanks confirmed

5 Likes

Tank spec or return to WoD Enh. Either would motivate me to make this alt a main :smiley:

1 Like

They cant get 2 out of 3 specs right… Do you honestly think the class will be any better with a 4th spec?

1 Like

yes, because I can get through old cata content faster by queuing as a tank and rocks are hard bro

2 Likes

This is what common sense looks like. Not some debby downer nonsense you folk keep spewing. I will not rest until the Earth Wardens are realized

2 Likes

We can’t get one decent spec and some pally want a 4th lol.

3 Likes

While I would personally love a shaman tank spec (then i would never need another alt) I imagine pallys would want a ranged dps spec since we also have elemental, you know just to be fair.

1 Like

Viva la shockadin

2 Likes

and warriors would also like a “thrown weapon” spec.

2 Likes

I’m sure the cfo paid for by the 800 layoffs will get right on it…

Well we dont need any more hybrid classes as that would devalue the exisiting ones. But if every class got an extra spec the shaman would probably get tidesage

1 Like