Shadows Rising: Thrall's thoughts on Tyrande

Kind of weird that Anduin and Shaw seem baffled at the idea that Thrall sent them a war prisoner as a gift. Anduin was willing to trust Saurfang after the War of Thorns but draws the line at trusting Thrall after the war is over and both sides are fighting against a common enemy?

This should be standard procedure at this point. But at least it is something.

Kind of curious what Tyrande meant by “what is owed”. Did she know he was going to get his hands on Sira and be able to send her?

3 Likes

She requested Sylvanas’ head from him. Sira was essentially taken as a … good faith payment for a much larger debt that would be required.

6 Likes

Fair enough I suppose. Feels weird to request something you know the other person doesn’t have and can’t obtain.

I guess it is a continuation of the “we can’t trust the Horde to help us hunt Sylvanas” plot thread even though we literally just worked together to fight against Sylvanas.

Some distrust is warranted. But acting like the Horde isn’t already engaged in hunting and killing Sylvanas feels a little forced to me.

2 Likes

Its more along the lines of “I don’t expect you to deliver her head to me, but I’ll give you this absurd objective to humor you”. But then he ends up delivering Sira to her with no strings attached, implying to her he’s at least serious about attempting her task.

3 Likes

(Commentary): Something interesting that I’m sorry to see was left out was Tyrande’s threat to Thrall on Hyjal, and just how badly it shook him.

“How many orphans did your Horde create that day?” Tyrande sliced the flat of her hand diagonally across her body. “Those children will grow, they will wake each morning tasting ash, and one day they will come for you. Oh, they will come for you, and they will make you taste that same ash, and then you will know their justice.” She sat down again, as if winded. Light returned to the clearing, and the plants around them were green and vibrant once more.

“Quickly,” Yukha muttered, trying to gather them. “We must go. This was a mistake; I should not have brought you here.”

Baine and Calia allowed Yukha to corral them back toward the path of glittering solid water. Thrall remained, only taking slow, careful steps, never showing Tyrande his back. For his trouble, Tyrande directed her final words to him and only him.

“You will find that justice less sweet than the sorry excuse for punishment you faced, and when this justice comes, there will be no armistice to save you.”

4 Likes

Thrall had misinterpreted what he thought he owed Tyrande initially, but I had that quoted in the first thread on all this that I made and didn’t think to put it all here as well:

Thanks, I was actually in the middle of reading your other thread.

My feelings over all this are complicated. It absolutely sucks my desire to keep playing the game out of me whenever I read about how meek and apologetic the Horde as a faction has to be now, but I am glad that Blizzard is at least presenting an avenue toward amending things with heroic action rather than submission.

Now I just gotta hope the Horde actually does play a role in stopping Sylvanas.

12 Likes

I sincerely hope you make good on your threat to quit the game. It’s clear that this is deeply unhealthy for you.

22 Likes

If anything, meek apologies weren’t really doing the Horde any favors in trying to make amends with the Night Elves.

1 Like

I really, REALLY dislike doing the edgy thing that people love to do constantly and say the “this character’s arc is over, let them just rest in peace and work on other characters” line, but… I really do think Thrall’s story needs to wrap up. He’s done what he can for his people and the world, and it’s clear that the Horde doesn’t need him, and the Alliance doesn’t want anything to do with him. The world has moved on without him and his roles have been filled. I like him, but he’s a relic.

9 Likes

I still cannot even begin to describe what I’d give for the rumored post-SL timeskip to bring us forward to a time when Finel is making northern Kalimdor a horrific deathtrap for anything in a red tabard.

14 Likes

And then the Horde will cut down the Night Elves yet again.

Not into the faction war myself, but you do you.

3 Likes

I’d like to think they’re not tone deaf enough to make an orphan of genocide lose to the villains that genocided her people.

3 Likes

Is that orphan a Night Elf? :thinking:
(Rhetorical question)
That is something they’d do with great pleasure, they don’t even acknowledge that the Teldrassil genocide was evil and that the Horde was too.

Does it matter? So do the writers and devs, and they kept making people cheer about Teldrassil and the lack of any resolution for it.

1 Like

Blizzard is pretty clear on how Teldrassil is evil. The bit where they are falling down is portraying the Horde as thinking, treating and accepting it as evil.

3 Likes

I mean the Horde and Saurfang blamed it all on Sylvanas and they were immediately forgiven by the Alliance.
And Sylvanas is also described as “not evil”

1 Like

That’s not quite true. Anduin certainly. Genn and Tyrande less so. And then, though not quite the same thing, you can overhear guards in Boralus talking about how it’s only a matter of time before the Horde attacks the Alliance again.

Have they done so recently?

2 Likes

Most of the Alliance, and although Genn didn’t entirely agree with him, he still went with Anduin in the end.
Tyrande seemingly gets replaced after SL too for stepping out of line.

When she burned down Teldrassil they did, and that’s like the entire reason why people would think that she’s evil.

It is worth remembering that they said this back when they were trying to convince us Sylvanas was doing everything she was doing to bring a war to an end for the good of the Horde.

We now know that was a lie, ergo any talk of her not being evil can also be rightly assumed to be a lie.

I wouldn’t take anything they said from post-“HORDE IS NOTHING”-reveal interviews as fact. They were lying so we wouldn’t immediately guess what their big “twist” was.

Didn’t work, but the effort was made.

11 Likes

Don’t blame Thrall, Thrall had the belief that the Horde weren’t just a bunch of monsters or cowards who let the monsters do as they pleased and every time he stopped baby sitting them so he could save the world or have a vacation they proved him wrong.

He could go back to Outland, but he knows how worthless the rest of the Horde is without him.