Shadows Rising: Thrall's thoughts on Tyrande

Spoilers ahead for Shadows Rising in what is now part three in this series of threads from me. Hopefully it is the last.

I don't have any real analysis on this, to be honest, I just thought Horde players might be interested in Thrall's thoughts on the matter of Teldrassil and Tyrande.

“Not going to eat that?” Yukha leaned against his carved shaman’s staff, twirling his gray beard thoughtfully.

“Have you come to steal my supper or do your job, Yukha?”

The shaman smiled, but it didn’t reach the wrinkles at his eyes. “Old friend, your missive reached Nordrassil and I carry with me the reply. The Night Warrior bids you come on one condition.”

Thrall shifted, even less hungry than before. “And? Spit it out.”

“She says you must bring what is owed.”

Frowning, Thrall scratched his chin. “What else did she say?”

“Nothing.” Yukha shrugged and reached for the haunch of boar growing cold on the table, tearing off a piece of charred skin and eating it. “She claimed you would know what that meant.”

“I see. And how does she seem?”

Emboldened by Thrall’s disinterest, Yukha tore off a larger piece of boar meat. “Her rage has not lessened, if that is what you mean.”

Of course not. Were it me, my rage would simmer for a thousand years.

You must bring what is owed.

Thrall was no fool. Surely Tyrande Whisperwind and Malfurion Stormrage desired some gesture, some remuneration for the war crimes visited upon Teldrassil. Even in Nagrand, even cut off from his connection to the powers of a shaman, he had felt the moment the world shifted and the wrath of Sylvanas Windrunner set the kaldorei capital ablaze. It was quiet, it was distant, but he heard a collective cry, and for a brief, terrifying moment he tasted smoke on the air where none had been before.

What did he owe?

How did he answer that? He had not been part of the Horde war that led to the atrocity and that, perhaps, was why Tyrande and Malfurion were willing to meet with him at all. Innocence in one specific crime felt like a weak shield. But perhaps he had more. He gazed over the raised plateaus and flying banners of Orgrimmar and imagined it aflame, imagined the city that had been the source of so much life and joy and war and pain reduced to smoldering rubble. What would he want if such a thing were to happen? What would he need?

What possible balm could soothe a wound so impossibly deep?

Thrall collected himself before saying something rash. He looked into Tyrande’s eyes once more, into the hypnotizing aura of darkness in the never-cool embers of her eyes. That moment in Nagrand returned to him, when he tasted smoke and sensed a far-off pain. That pain was not so far off for her, it was constant and as potent as the day Teldrassil burned. They had once stood together, he, Tyrande, and Malfurion, all three of them defending Nordrassil. That tree they had managed to save, but now the crime of its sister burning must be answered. They had even witnessed his marriage to his wife, Aggra, there in the shade of Nordrassil’s venerable branches, though that seemed many lifetimes ago now. Perhaps Tyrande’s rage had obliterated those memories altogether.

“Do not look at me with those gloating eyes!” Sira shouted, poking her glaive toward the nightborne. “Nathanos! Nathanos? No…No, I will not be abandoned again, not now. My goddess…No! I will not submit! You have accomplished nothing! Do you hear me? Nothi—”

The blunt end of Thrall’s axe cracked into her helmet, silencing her. Sira crumpled to the ground, her glaives clattering to the stones, her helmet slipping off her head and rolling away. Thrall broke through the crowd of Zandalari and stopped the helm with the toe of his boot.

“Bind her tightly,” he told the trolls. “I know exactly what to do with her.”

They sailed into Stormwind Harbor four days later, with the feast food dwindling as steadily as Shaw’s patience. He kept dawdling in the brig, checking every hour or so to make sure their prize was still there.

It was.

Another unexpected and generous gift from the Horde. The only catch, outlined to him by the tremendously tall orc warrior Thrall, was this: The prize must be delivered exactly as he instructed, to exactly whom he instructed, with the note he had entrusted to Shaw unopened.

Thrall was not the sort one quarreled with in person. Shaw agreed to all stipulations—he could hardly refuse, given his circumstances—and boarded the craft sailing east.

“What is so urgent?” Anduin interjected, striding onto the boat.

“It is better if I simply show you. Come.”

Mathias led them below, shooing the crew out of the hold, making certain they were all of them alone before opening the brig. The small, lowceilinged cabin holding the brig was lit only by two meager candles, hardly enough light to see by. The door banged open. A figure slumped in the shadows, bound.

Jaina Proudmoore squinted, leaning forward and opening a gout of flame with her hand, the glow of the fire landing on the battered, gagged face of Sira Moonwarden.

“Sira,” Jaina whispered. Her eyes flew to his. “The Horde gave her to you?”

“No strings attached,” Mathias told her.

Anduin gently moved Jaina aside, squaring himself before the prisoner. She could have burned him alive with the hatred in her eyes.

“There are always strings,” Anduin said. “Even if you cannot see them.”

“Thrall wanted her delivered to Tyrande Whisperwind and Malfurion Stormrage, along with this letter.” Mathias drew the sealed missive from his coat and handed it to the king.

Anduin blinked with confusion. “That is…oddly generous of him.”

“I agree,” Mathias replied.

“It will be done.” Anduin tucked the message under one arm, returning his attention to Sira.

“She is through there. Nobody will disturb you.”

Tyrande Whisperwind alighted the portal on silent feet, plunged at once into the damp, unforgiving cold of the Stormwind Stockades. She glanced to her left at the kaldorei mage who had offered to give her a portal from Nordrassil to the Eastern Kingdoms. Anduin’s message of invitation had arrived, along with the sealed note from Thrall.

Come with all haste to Stormwind, Anduin wrote. I have in my possession a gift from the Horde. It is meant only for you and awaits you in the Stockades.

The winding, hollow halls of the prison seemed engineered to send the cries of lonely prisoners from one wing to the other. Tyrande shivered, reminded of a different sort of howl and fury, the screams of the burning carried on hot, ashen winds. The prisoner raised her head at the squeak of the iron door.

Sira Moonwarden’s crimson eyes flared fire-bright in the gloom. No such brightness came from Tyrande’s eyes, though if the blackened pits there could twinkle and dance, they would. Her prize. Thrall’s gift.

This is not what was owed, he wrote. But I hope it is a start.

“A start,” Tyrande murmured.

21 Likes

This is actually very interesting how deeply connected the Mages are now within NE society.
They were fighting at Darkshore and are trusted by Tyrande.

This is an important piece.

What is more astonishing is how naive and hypocritical Thrall is.
Ackknowledging if he would be in Tyrandes place his rage would not be soothed, but demands this from Tyrande however.

Shameless little grunt.

13 Likes

I liked Shadows Rising, but Thrall’s character is one of the few parts I didn’t like. He’s whiny, passive-aggressive, and you can hear his resigned sighing at everything even though it’s a book. Like dude, you can go back to Outland now, it’s clear you don’t want to be back in the Horde.

Two parts stand out to me. The scene where he meets Tyrande here and he is almost insulted by the reception…the Horde just destroyed these people’s lives and the Council thinks “Sorry, it was all Sylvanas please love us again” will work is pathetic.

And the scene where he pressures poor Gazlowe into agreeing with him because he always has to have his way and thinks the council has to be unanimous on everything.

I look forward to the day we’re allowed to be proud of the Horde again and getting the real Thrall back would help with that, not this mopey broken old man.

20 Likes

I don’t see that anywhere.

25 Likes

A real part of me hopes Draka kicks his butt back to his roots. He is the child of Durotan, Chieftain of the Frostwolves. He is the hope of Doomhammer and Hellscream, Chieftains of the Blackrock and Warsong. He is the one Saurfang left things to. Its time Thrall took pride in who and what he is, and started acting like the Orc Chieften he’s supposed to be. For his people and himself.

As to the OPs post. Its reasonable enough. Sick and tired of mopey Thrall and passive aggressive Aggra, but that’s a Horde problem. Can’t shake this feeling that maybe Thrall will at least help Tyrande snag Sylvanas’ head here at some point. Maybe he’ll reconnect with his Shaman side soon, with that axe he’s sort of sporting some pretty heavy Enhancement Shaman makings.

10 Likes

There will no more pride for you anymore for what you have done.
Yours is shame and guilt forever. Forever marked as the monsters you are, not worthy of any mercy or empathy.

1 Like

Sigh … you ever get sick of being the edgy NE equivalent of a Sylvie fanatic?

59 Likes

Have to make sure you won’t forget what you are responsible for while you allways try to wiggle out of it.
Not going to let that happen.

And well since Sylvanas fanatcis are egdy per definition, it would be a double negative. So fine by me.

2 Likes

Oh, I won’t forget. Two years of being told I’m a bad person for playing Horde is sufficient enough for that. All you’re doing is making sure I don’t feel the least bit guilty about becoming increasingly apathetic about Teldrassil. I once cared, but that’s been guilt tripped out of me. What a journey to this point its been. I do thank you and wish you the best on your headcanon revenge fantasies. :smiley:

49 Likes

Not nearly. It is just the beginning.
Some things never heal, you know. Some deeds can’t be undone. Some marks never leave. Some filth can never be washed away.

Shame is what the Horde is going to be known for, not pride anymore, that one is over.
Shame and cowardness. None of you stood up during Teldrassil, you are cowards. No honor, no pride.

1 Like

This is not the role playing forum.

69 Likes

I assure you that is no roleplay. That is how I see it personally. As a player. And I make Horde players responsible. I have seem them cheering and laughing at Teldrassil.

Then take it elsewhere. That doesn’t contribute to anything.

49 Likes

Nope not going to.
I let them feel what theye toxic playerbase has done for 2 years.

Amadis is just trying to do a nice thing for the forum by providing some sourced context. I think you should at least respect his own wishes by not trashing his thread, and so some discussion can go on.

60 Likes

I did.
Not entitled to do more than that.
I response to whoever I please where ever I please. That is an open forum. Not your personal filter bubble.

The only analysis I want to make is how so different Thrall is, a proof that Jaina was right. Imagine if this was the Thrall in “The Shattering”? If instead of trying to do the right and hard thing by actually attempting to met out justice against those who skinned the night elves instead of backing down because he thought his people’s “pride” was more important.

Thrall could easily have become the most beloved hero of Azeroth. Instead we all had to deal with the consequences of him picking Garrosh as warchief. As far as I’m concern Sylvanas’ war is Garrosh war plans finally being brought to fruition. Hell, Tides of War basically described the entirety of the first phase of BfA.

5 Likes

Its a step in the right direction for him, but I do think its important that he finds a personal investment in at least the MU Orcish people again. Its fine that he’s duty bound, but they need him to be the leader he was sort of born to be if he really wants to make a lasting positive impact on the World (not just the Horde). Horde Pride and Orc Pride is irrelevant here tbh … he needs to take Personal Pride in what he does and who he is again.

But yes, its nice he’s not allowing Pride to interfere with taking appropriate starting steps.

1 Like

Thrall uses his Shaman powers again during Shadowlands. Though, honestly, I don’t think he ever actually disconnected from them, despite his own claims, given his Obi-Wan Kenobi Alderaan moment of sensing Teldrassil’s burning all the way from Outland Nagrand.

5 Likes

Wait does he? I honestly have seen very little of his part of the story beyond him swinging around a Mawsworn Greataxe in the intro. I also know very little about Draka’s role in all this … or if his narrative will connect to her’s at all.

1 Like