Shadows Rising: State of Azeroth Details

The specific quote was that Calia was not at icecrown as the leader of the Forsaken. Which says nothing.

Yes. Please begin the stages of grief in preparation for Queen Calia in 9.2

Yes.

Precisely

1 Like

I mean, they are both undead now, and have nowhere to go where they would be accepted. The forsaken thing is to watch out for their own, I suppose.
Calia is an advisor but also in a kinda apprentice role. She follows Voss around and watches her mannerisms and how she presents herself because Calia is self-conscious that she is undead but different (bc light and she being a mommy) and she’s literally attempting to learn How2Forsaken so she can blend in and try to be part of that society.

But when did Lilian learn How2Forsaken?

Blizzard has a character that is in no way a Forsaken learn how to be a Forsaken from a character that until recently did not consider themselves Forsaken and showed no interest in them at all, let alone loyalty.

And Forsaken players are just supposed to accept both of these characters? Why? It makes no sense, and Blizzard has made no attempt to explain it.

Shadows Rising was the opportunity to explain any of it, but instead its just treated as defacto from the start.

9 Likes

I dunno
Maybe Voss does not know nor care about any of this. She makes quite clear that she is not leading the Forsaken by her own will. Maybe she will try to convince Calia, maybe she’ll grow into the role and become more involved with the forsaken.

So far is very clear she’s the leader bc she had no prior connections with Sylvanas (thus being “safe” for the Horde to trust) and she kicks major booty so there’s that, I suppose.

I think Blizz is testing the waters with the fanbase: either Calia takes over or Voss takes a liking to the role and the playerbase gets to see her develop and grow into a leader.

Or, you know, nothing happens and she’ll be a temporary leader forever, much like a few “regent” lords I know about

6 Likes

Voss is more memorable to casual audiences than Velonara. Velonara would also be considered a replacement Sylvanas, rather than her own character.

7 Likes

Anduin never rejected Calia. Jaina (to my knowledge) never rejected Derek.

:cactus:

12 Likes

Yeah, but the overall human society frowns upon undead. Anduin and Jaina are two grains of sand on a beach

Which makes Calia’s attempt to get some Forsaken to defect even more bone-headed.

:cactus:

6 Likes

Real recognize Real

1 Like

I understand the confusion, but that’s not actually the quote I’m talking about.

There was an interview with Ion in 2019 and he mentioned in it that Calia was sympathetic towards the Forsaken but wasn’t joining the Horde over it.

Will Calia Menethil and Derek Proudmoore join the Horde in the upcoming story?
A: This is a complicated issue. Calia is very sympathetic towards the situation and condition of the Forsaken, but she will not join the Horde because of this. Additionally, the number of Forsaken who may welcome their presence is not fixed.

Aight, thanks!

Yeah reading that really made me go “I need to ask the forums for confirmation”

I guess this adds more to Calia’s and Tyrande’s exchange on Icecrown now we know they’ve met before, and it… didn’t do so great?

I guess Thrall had potentially more to offer her than Anduin?

The fact that Garona attended Saurfang’s funeral and didn’t skip town the moment that Sylvanas was dethroned makes me think she’s here to stay.

The simplest explanation is that this statement ended up not being true, like Ion’s statement that Blood Elves would not be getting blue eyes.

A more generous, and unlikely, explanation is that this statement is still true, Calia did not join the Horde because of her sympathy towards the Forsaken, and instead joined the Horde for other reasons.

2 Likes

Tyrande was unimpressed by Thrall’s citing Calia as an example of how the Forsaken sought to reforge themselves anew and free of Sylvanas’s poisonous influence. She also found formal apology as an empty pledge of justice, though did smile when he promised to give her the of Sylvanas Windrunner.

Perhaps, or at the very least she has more faith in Thrall, whose been a trusted ally in battle (Hyjal) and an honorable foe (the cold from vanilla-Wrath) over Anduin, who refused to send her troops to claim Darkshore while she was sending troops to aid him.

Really good point.

You know I wonder if players will have the option to ask her why she joined, like how we could ask Rexxar why he decided to join the war effort.

3 Likes

“I don’t really care about the Horde, just here for my crown.”

2 Likes

I realized something today. About why a lot of these anti-Calia arguments are rubbing me the wrong way.

I have sympathy for Calia as a Colombian who was Diaspora to the US his whole life and currently moved back to Colombia where everyone is using the same arguments that I’m not a “real” Colombian, even though my family’s roots has ridiculous heritage (one side founded one of our major cities during the colonial period, the other side is indigenous), and I know how the “culture” works from spending every summer in the motherland. I moved back to Colombia because I believe us in the Diaspora have an obligation to go back to the Motherland and help our people move ahead and become great and powerful once more, and to help heal the wounds from wars that led to us fleeing the country in the first place.

I think people are being unfair to Calia honestly, from an IRL cultural-immigration-claiming perspective, it’s the same trash arguments used against many POC when they repatriate or even visit our “Motherland”.

Before The Storm’s Desolate Council showed that a significant number of Forsaken really want to reconnect with their families and past and Lordaeronian sense of self. And that’s good and noble. And a Prodigal Daughter returning would fit into that.

This is, in a lot of ways, the story of a war-time refugee trying to repatriate to her motherland, and how the locals will receive her.

4 Likes

Calia did not attempt in any way, shape, or form positively interact with the Horde. She positively interacted with the Alliance until Derek needed a new home, so at Jaina’s request, the Alliance princess took Derek to meet the Forsaken.

Bear in mind that in the book before the expansion, Calia literally and objectively attempted to get the Forsaken’s leaders (the Desolate Council) to quit the Horde and join the Alliance.

9 Likes

And how many people in Diaspora offer their family in the Motherland a chance to come live with them?

Why would a refugee immigrant repatriating to a specific motherland require they engage positively with their political allies in other regions?

I think this is a story with a lot of elements of common immigrant-repatriation narratives that are going over most people’s heads completely.

2 Likes

I don’t know. I’m unsure why it matters. She attempted to convince Horde members to commit treason against the Horde and join the Horde’s enemy, the Alliance.

Horde players are correct to find Calia suspect. She is Alliance.

Normally it wouldn’t. However, Calia is apparently becoming god queen of the forsaken to replace its last godqueen, so it’s absolutely required here. There is power in the position to define the entire subfaction of the Horde as well as the direction of the Horde itself.

You’re allowing your present circumstance to paint how you view the character who attempted to convince the Horde’s forsaken to become traitors.

8 Likes

yes but as I said that’s because:

Also thinking about fiction from your real life circumstances is rather the point of a lot of fiction. That’s why people constantly are comparing Nigh Elf Genocide to Real World Genocide lmao

1 Like

Their families could come to the Horde: They are not Stormwind natives. Instead, Calia attempts to make the Horde weaker by attempting to convince members of the Horde to commit treason and join the enemy faction.

Again, that’s because