Shadowlands Preview: Oribos

It’s strange though that we can kill random banshees but Sylvanas can’t be killed by normal means; Godfrey was somehow able to do it with an ordinary pistol and costed her a Val’kyr, but for some reason that’s no longer canon. Her story is rather erratic and hazy.

Wait this isn’t canon anymore?

That’s what I’ve been told.

She didn’t escape the maw. She was resurrected out of it

I have to wonder if they say to the art team “Look the players are gonna be seeing this place A LOT as the new hub world MAKE IT GOOD”

Curious tho having the Arbiter be inactive. I would have loved to see her “judge” our characters but I guess that’d be a bit complicated given what players do with their toons.

Maybe the “hand of valor” with vol’jin was her doing before she went inactive.

Venthyr is more the “Look you’re evil but you have just enough of a chance to be redeemed. Go here or we’ll throw you in The Maw”

She did go to the Maw. But the Val’kyr brought her back.

No that’s canon.

So the Arbiter is a clockwork god leading a fanatical cult where doubt is punished. Got it! Sounds completely above-board and not evil at all.

:+1:

1 Like

Okay. I’m just going to break down the basics at this point.

Death is currently broken. We don’t know how it happened, or what did it. All we know is that it broke mid-legion and has taken effect ever since. So now, instead of a soul passing through Oribos and the Arbiter first, the soul is being immediately sent to the Maw. As for the Anima… that’s part of the questing experience. You’ll find out when the expansion launches.

When a soul passes on into the Shadowlands, they give their anima, the physical manifestation of the weight a soul carries. It amounts for all that was done in their life. So, for instance, a simple farmer wouldn’t bring in much Anima. But an adventurer who has slain dragons and conquered cities would bring in loads of Anima.

This Anima is essentially what fuels the Shadowlands. If no more comes in, the Arbiter stops working, as she’s basically a machine that runs off anima.

So, now that death is broken, all souls are being fed to the Jailer which is making him more powerful. Prior to Shadowlands, Sylvanas has been in contact with this Jailer ever since Edge of Night in Wrath, but in Legion decided it was time to really set their plans in motion. And so Vol’jin was tricked into naming Sylvanas the Warchief, and giving her the power to make the Horde into her war machine.

So, for her first task, she went after Teldrassil. All the souls wracked up from the flames fed the Jailer, and his powers were given to Sylvanas, his Soulbind. So now, the more people we kill, the more powerful the Jailer and Sylvanas become.

No. She was there. In the Maw. Her soul was just dragged back to her body by the Val’kyr (who are beginning to look more and more like Mawsworn in disguise).

People can’t escape the Maw alone.

The Shadowlands aren’t supposed to be sunshine and rainbows by any means.

Sire Denathrius is responsible for the Anima Drought that broke her. The Dreadlord caused the machine of Death to break.

Putting a Machine in charge of the Shadowlands it seems backfired and aided the Shadowlands’ true master.

The Purpose is naturally tied to the Orb in the Arbiter’s Body. Likely a Darkened Naaru. The Jailer probably grabbed the thing in order to better judge the fate of the Souls only to go mad forcing the Arbiter’s creators to remove the Orb and seal away the Jailer before shoving the Orb into their emotionless Machine.

A Machine can just look at the visions and sort based on what it sees. Kael’thas had an entire Soul and committed far worse crimes than Arthas did when he had all of his Soul.

Arthas’s worst crimes are due to losing enough of his Soul that the remaining sliver couldn’t control his body which went off on it’s own and decided to commit heinous atrocities as a Soulless Narcissist.

Since Arthas’s worst crimes can solely be laid at the feet of his Soulless body why should his Soul be punished for the Body’s crimes? The reason is because the machine known as the Arbiter was focused on a Darkened Naaru’s visions!

The Darkened Naaru is most assuredly the reason Sylvanas was sent to the Maw instead of Revendreth! The Void is behind everything yet again! I’m sure killing the Jailer will just remove his connection to Souls and redirect them into the Darkened Naaru Core reviving it.

“Look upon the true face of Death and know that your end comes soon!” - Yogg-Saron

I do hope this city isn’t going to be as (or more) laggy than Boralus and Zuldazar. I hate going to either of the current hubs (and to a lesser extent SW or Org) due to not being able to move much for up to a few minutes while waiting for everything to load in (or disappear and reload again).

Dude. Other people are reading this. I recommend keeping the spoilers at a minimum or use the spoiler tag. Also, even though you might think that guy is a Dreadlord, nothing has been confirmed yet.

Lol no. “The Purpose” is literally just a belief. Not a thing.

That is such a leap based on literally nothing Darkened Naaru? What?

Yeah this is a terrible theory.

Yeah, I wouldn’t count on it.

Death broke mid legion… the expac where we dealt with Helya, Eyir, Val’kyr… all entities of death… and Sylvanas’ quest to take control of the Val’kyr, who descend from Bastion in the shadowlands… something somewhere has to be connected then? theres a lot of things here that should seem like they are related but cant really tell what it is

Looks pretty cool so far.

She did, but the leader of the original 9 Val’kyr had to take her place to get her out. I’m guessing the only way to get one out of the maw is through a trade.

So all these laws and sins … who set the rules that defines this morality of the Shadowlands?

It would be interesting if things are breaking down because of some sort of crisis of faith over what actually is and isn’t actually a “sin”.

Why are you forcing the Alliance and Horde together again. Make up your minds. This game/conflict has serious identity issues.

1 Like