Shadowlands Hunter class changes

What the deuce? They made HM a cooldown? Why? Just effing why? This literally makes no sense and does not fix any of the issues we had with it… if anything it makes them worse…

9 Likes

despite our differences on the nature of survival this was really a slap in the face. literally the worst change so far in shadowlands beta

5 Likes

They basically /spit on us with this horrid change. I can’t even believe this was approved.

8 Likes

I wouldn’t worry TOO much. Most of the detailed feedback was responded to last week after that build, and it takes some time for that to get worked on and filter into a build.

Now, if we get nothing next week, then strap in for an expansion on the bench.

did they mention survival hunter at all or is it more BM stuff?

This sort of “wait and see, there’s still time” mantra is exactly why MM was left half-finished at the start of BfA, and why hunter specs in general have been a mess since the start of Legion. You give the devs too much credit. If we wait and see, there’s an extremely high likelihood that we’ll be stuck with what we currently have, because the devs will decide the current setup is acceptable enough. The devs only make changes anymore when you raise an absolute ruckus (and, apparently, if you’re one of their favorite classes, and everyone else can go pound sand).

7 Likes

Who at Blizzard would play with this Hunter’s Mark change and think “this improved the class”.

Does Blizzard actually spend 30 seconds playing their changes before they make it to patch?

6 Likes

They probably didn’t even play. I imagine it went something like this…

guy in charge of hunter class changes takes huge hit from the joint

thinks about all the great feedback we’ve given him

takes another huge rip

stares into spaces for 2 minutes

“I think hunters mark should have a cooldown.”

2 Likes

Of course! Exactly 30 seconds.

Y’know, I was the first to complain when I read that Blizzard’s employees were getting screwed out of wages because nobody deserves to live in a van, but then I read about shoddy workmanship like this and think “eh, never mind.”

1 Like

I urge every single hunter, whether MSV or former RSV or whatever spec to go on twitter and spam the hell out of the watcher dev or Warcraft devs page. If enough hunters go and tell them that something is wrong with both MM and SV they won’t be able to ignore it. Also try to get any support of the streamers. I know they most certainly check Twitter.

6 Likes

hunter is a dead class with that in place. w2g blizz at this point they should just delete hunter as it’s clear they don’t care or know what they are doing

At this point, they might as well just remove it. It’s clunky, meaningless and not what anyone has asked for.

3 Likes

So Trueshot and Coordinated Assault no longer have GCD- I do not understand why Bestial Wrath cannot be given the same treatment?

Because it affects the pet too? But the pet is effectively my permanent floating weapon- the reason it gains attached bonuses from Bestial Wrath is because it is so intrinsically tied to BM damage? Feeling left out from benefits of these sweeping GCD removals… Bestial Wrath is buff used frequently in rotation and the GCDs add up.

Hunter’s Mark changes… remains to be seen if it is truly tuned as a damage edge in single target. If so that will be a nice class perk. If it isn’t balanced that way… potentially very poor play experience.

But I’m really really sad that the pet ability recently added is a self-dispel for the pet only? To be blunt that isn’t even an area of gameplay I am interested in adding elements. Unless my damage or utility is potentially superior to other classes in some way- why the heck would I want to have to position/heal/dispel/break CC a pet to try and deliver the same output? While minding all of those items for myself simultaneously.

The long pet rez and generally less survivable pets just feels like a performance liability with no justification besides- I like the visual/concept.

Yes, I’m focusing on the select bad because we have a very limited window before release where I think these changes could be addressed…

EDIT:

And also! With the staggering increase to pet revive time, could we at least get back Battle Rez pets? Dismissing and resummoning a pet is a big enough drawback mid combat to allow that level of utility to be swapped out in the dungeon…

1 Like

There’s absolutely zero chance hunters are going to be balanced 5% ahead, or any noteworthy percentage ahead, for single target. That would make us the only option for DPS check fights.

Hunter’s Mark is a nerf to our AoE and to target swapping, pure and simple. It’s not in any way a buff.

6 Likes

I think it might be because of how frequent we have bestial wrath available. I agree though, I would prefer it to be bestial wrath and NOT aspect if I had to choose. Aspect, specifically in PvP doesn’t really do a whole lot for us.

Agreed.

/10

3 Likes

Gotta agree with this. Ideally, HM (on or off a CD) would be a slight edge in ST DPS and a slight increase in damage on one target in cleave. But there’s no way they’ll do that for pretty much the reasons you describe.

I, for one, think HM is cool enough and iconic enough that I want to have it. I just want it to mean something. And there are plenty of solid ways for that to happen. 5% damage increase for the whole raid would be great, but is just as unlikely as HM being an edge.

But then there are other options - stuff that can help fix other issues each of the specs. Attack your Marked target could refund a small amount of focus. That would help all three specs and, I think, be a generally welcome effect through the entire expansion.

Spec-specific, HM could grant BM a small increase to their chance to reset Barbed Shot, or additional CD reduction on BW. HM could apply MM’s Trick Shots to the marked target, allowing single-target attacks on another target to cleave onto the marked target. SV … well, honestly, I think I’d like to see the focus regen option here. But an increased chance for Kill-Command-That-Should-Be-Flanking Strike to reset would be good. Or make MB baseline, and MBing your marked target adds a second to the MB window.

I’m just saying: Options. Not crazy ones, either. But somehow … this is what we get? I’m not usually one to join the chorus of “The devs don’t know what they’re doing with hunter,” but this whole HM may be the straw that broke the camel’s back for me.

1 Like

Ya, but all of those options just make it even more mandatory to cast. If it benefits our DPS, regardless of how, we must have it active to deal the damage we’re tuned around. Doesn’t matter if it’s a 5% bonus or focus regen or CDR or whatever, if it benefits our DPS, we’re balanced around having it active, and therefore it’s simply a nerf when it isn’t active.

Same thing if it affected the entire raid. It would be absolutely mandatory for a hunter to cast it on any target the raid is DPSing, as their very first action, period. 5% DPS from the raid overwhelmingly beats any DPS the hunter might throw at the target in the GCDs before casting it.

It needs to be utility, and only utility.

3 Likes

Fair point, but keeping it active shouldn’t be much of a problem - even with the 20-second CD. It would ideally not have the CD, and be off the GCD as well, but … give it an effect other than a flat DPS increase (even just a Focus refund) and it would least offer some thought and engagement on when we might want to press it or on what target.

I mean, utility only … what utility? I can’t think of any utility that would be anything but niche in PvE, except maybe being able to attack the target at a longer range or ignoring line of sight (and even those wouldn’t be useful in most dungeon raid boss fights). There’re a fair number of utility options for PvP, but then just make it a PvP talent instead of a spell and avoid the bloat.

To be fair, the stealth detection really only has a niche use in pvp, so adding a niche pve utility to it and removing the damage component wouldn’t really be so bad. Either way, any “niche pve utility” added would likely be far more useful in pvp than stealth detection is in pve.